Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 King Quad 750
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to Oreillys to get some new spark plugs. I know there was a thread talking about some Iridium plugs so i decided to try some. I took the stock number off of my normal plugs( NGK LMAR7A-9) and told the lady to cross reference them to the iridium kind. She gives me NGK SIKR9A7, when i looked at the other thread the guy said he used NGK CR6EIA-9 , it seems both are Iridium plugs so im wondering if the ones i have will work or should i take them back?

·
Super Moderator
707 Posts
I went to Oreillys to get some new spark plugs. I know there was a thread talking about some Iridium plugs so i decided to try some. I took the stock number off of my normal plugs( NGK LMAR7A-9) and told the lady to cross reference them to the iridium kind. She gives me NGK SIKR9A7, when i looked at the other thread the guy said he used NGK CR6EIA-9 , it seems both are Iridium plugs so im wondering if the ones i have will work or should i take them back?
I never trust cross references exclusively. I have a feeling you would not do that either. I have seen plugs cross referenced incorrectly that ended up with longer threads. If they hadn’t been checked first, they would have resulted in contact with a piston.

I always take a plug that “cross references “ to the original and line it up with the original to compare the overall length.

·
Premium Member
2019 King Quad 750
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I never trust cross references exclusively. I have a feeling you would not do that either. I have seen plugs cross referenced incorrectly that ended up with longer threads. If they hadn’t been checked first, they would have resulted in contact with a piston.

I always take a plug that “cross references “ to the original and line it up with the original to compare the overall length.
That is a very good point that i did not think about. I will check the plug lenghts.

·
Premium Member
2019 King Quad 750
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
to follow up on this, the plugs i was given (SIKR9A7) was not the right plugs, they were not the same size as the stock plugs( either longer or shorter, cant remember). Also, when i checked on the oreillys web site, it said the plugs wouldnt fit the KQ so im wondering why the people at the counter gave them to me in the first place. Anyway, i went with plug number CR6EIA-9, it verifys on the oreillys site as being compatible and another member here also verified using them. Thanks to John1960 for pointing out the plug lengths and to check that, probably saved my engine!

·
Super Moderator
707 Posts
to follow up on this, the plugs i was given (SIKR9A7) was not the right plugs, they were not the same size as the stock plugs( either longer or shorter, cant remember). Also, when i checked on the oreillys web site, it said the plugs wouldnt fit the KQ so im wondering why the people at the counter gave them to me in the first place. Anyway, i went with plug number CR6EIA-9, it verifys on the oreillys site as being compatible and another member here also verified using them. Thanks to John1960 for pointing out the plug lengths and to check that, probably saved my engine!
Glad no problems came out of a bad cross over. Frequently, places cross into one brand and then to another. That’s even a greater potential for a disaster.

I always check plug length. I have seen reboxed plugs that were boxed incorrectly, or crossed incorrectly. Reboxing is a common thing in the automotive industry. It occurs when lines are switched by suppliers. The box says brand “A” and part number blah, blah, blah.... It’s brand “B” in the box and their supposed equivalent.

Glad you caught it.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I was wondering all you who are running the Iridium plugs, are you gapping them? I recall hearing mixed opinions regarding it being necessary. The default gap of 0.9mm its not to far from the factory recommended 0.7-0.8mm gap.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Just a update, I got the recommended gap measurement from a service manual however looking through my owners manual it recommends a gap of 0.8 - 0.9mm so adjusting the gap on the iridium plugs shouldn't be necessary.

·
Premium Member
2019 King Quad 750
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have an an update as well, turns out the Iridium plugs that i got (CR6EIA-9) in fact do not match the stock plugs, puzzling.So, i just deceided to get the stock plugs, put them in and call it a day. I have a pic of each plug side by side. If anyone thinks that they could still work please let me know, for now im just playing it safe.

·
Super Moderator
8,586 Posts
That’s a pretty noticeable difference. I wouldn’t chance it.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I've also read posts from a number of people that stated the CR6EIA-9 would work as well, interesting they are so different. I checked NGK site to see what they list as options to the stock and it gave NGK SILMAR7A9S and with the exception of terminal type the specifications look identical.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Suzuki changed the plug from the old days? I have a 2007 that does take the cr6eia-9 and it has the same reach as the cr6e. Is the newer king using two plugs?

·
Super Moderator
8,586 Posts
Suzuki made refinements to the powertrain I believe it was in 2019. These changes likely included changing the type of plug Suzuki use to use in their 750’s prior to 2017-2018 because of it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts