Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Looking to possibly install a winch on my 2018 King Quad 500.

-Any recommendations? I see $75 dollar ones (Badlands) and much more expensive ones

-Is this something that I should bring to a dealer to install?

And lastly, is a winch better for pulling logs than skidding them from the hitch. I don't pull anything crazy heavy but I have read things about KQ having problems with frames cracking and it's worrying me because I don't know what causes it.

I only use the quad for work like that one or two days a year. Otherwise I just drive it up and down the mountain to tree stands and pull deer out with it.

Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
182 Posts
An inexpensive winch will ne fine.. it's an easy install if the mounting plate is already on the machine and it should be.. the wiring is easy as well..
Skidding by dragging is definately faster than trying to winch a felled tree.. I drag my old 4x8 Costco utility trailer into the woods..park it and then drag the 8 ft sections to it.
I find the winch handy for pulling the bottom out of snagged trees.. the pines often snag on their neighbors on the way down and I have to hook onto the base and winch it a few ft to get it to fall

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The frame cracks from jumping it.

I use mine for work and have never had a crack.. and I plow snow with it.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
If that's the case I'm fine. I thought I saw people mention stuff about too much weight

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
FYI the Badland 3500 winch is a lot better quality than the 2500 ( 2500 - which is now only remote control with a delay in ON/OFF operation) I have both and highly recommend the 3500 model. (I have 1-2500 and 4-3500 )

·
Registered
174 Posts
If you get the 2500 it wouldn't hurt to have extra remote batteries. Mine takes 2 cr2032 batteries. Hard wires are more reliable than wireless remotes. Otherwise i haven't had trouble with mine so far.

It was on my quad when i bought it. I don't know how much or how hard the previous owner used it.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FYI the Badland 3500 winch is a lot better quality than the 2500 ( 2500 - which is now only remote control with a delay in ON/OFF operation) I have both and highly recommend the 3500 model. (I have 1-2500 and 4-3500 )
Do you know what winch plate you used. Tried to mount on the king quad with the plate the 3500 came with and it doesn't seem to fit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just so you know there are other choices on Amazon for mounting plates, you may need to use one from another winch manufacturer that makes them for the Kingquad like Warn and there's another cheaper knock off brand also....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just so you know there are other choices on Amazon for mounting plates, you may need to use one from another winch manufacturer that makes them for the Kingquad like Warn and there's another cheaper knock off brand also....
Yea that's why I'm asking. I see KFI come up a lot.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Do you know what winch plate you used. Tried to mount on the king quad with the plate the 3500 came with and it doesn't seem to fit.

I used the plate it came with (4- KQ 300 and 1 Kawasaki 250 )...but I welded it myself with some 1/2" square steel and 1" square tubing on all 5 of my quads.
The Kawasaki has the 2500lb as the 3500 was too large to fit inside the front of the frame.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts