Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2020 kingquad 500 axi. I am looking to install a winch. I was wondering what you guys are using and what suggestions yall might have. I want to mount it in the front and need to know what the biggest size is that i can put on it. I am doing some trail making and looking to pull small stumps out of the ground after a little digging. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
385 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Your going to get more than a few recommendations for brands and sizes, given the options available . Many years ago I sold winches for off-road truck and SUV usage. I sold brands like Warn, Ramsey, Superwinch....

I own three ATVs. One has a Warn (I bought it used with the winch) , one has a Runva that I purchased new and the other has a Harbor Freight Badlands , also purchased new. I don’t own any winches that give me problems. All work fine, as did the ones on my previous ATVs. They were obviously all priced differently though. The Warn would have been the most expensive. The Harbor Freight would be the least expensive. Notice I didn’t say cheapest. They are good winches and will serve you well.

i would not recommend going crazy with the size of your winch. A 2500# , or maximum 3500# will work fine. Anything bigger is overkill and will probably tax your charging system and battery more than you want it to. It might not even fit. You are limited by the battery capacity and charging system.

If I had to pick one out of a field of many, I would go with the Harbor Freight Badlands and probably do the 3500#, or 2500#. Look for a coupon. Hopefully you have a store near you, or the shipping may be cost prohibitive.

I hope that helps.

·
Registered
'86 LT230S QuadSport, '19 KingQuad 500
1 Posts
I have a 2019 KQ 500axi also, and I just went through the same thought process you did. The comments above are all valid. In my use case, I need to pull floating dock sections out of a lake every fall and while they are on wheels and not super heavy, I wanted the most powerful winch I could fit on the KQ. I settled on the Warn VRX 35. Anything larger will not physically fit on the KQ. The installation was simple, the winch works perfect and I have no complaints. $300 on amazon, add another $80 for the mounting plate. Only issue I had was shortening the cables that go from the battery to the relay, which was pretty simple to solve.

·
Premium Member
2019 King Quad 750
59 Posts
I just installed a Badlands ZXR 5000lb winch from Harbor Freight for $179.00. I made a video about my install process(minus the wiring, coming in a video in a day or so). I can tell you, the 5000lb will not fit unless you do a rad relocate. I also have a 3500lb winch, same brand, im going to install on my sons KQ500. The 3500lb should fit nicely but you will need to order the mounting bracket. The winch comes with one but will not fit. Just today, i got to use it to pull a friend out and i had to lock the front brake and sit on the seat to keep from the quad from moving foward.I can also see it wont be long before i get rope instead of cable. check out my project thread. 2019 KQ 750 snorkel, Rad relocate,ect. project thread

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the forum. Your going to get more than a few recommendations for brands and sizes, given the options available . Many years ago I sold winches for off-road truck and SUV usage. I sold brands like Warn, Ramsey, Superwinch....

I own three ATVs. One has a Warn (I bought it used with the winch) , one has a Runva that I purchased new and the other has a Harbor Freight Badlands , also purchased new. I don’t own any winches that give me problems. All work fine, as did the ones on my previous ATVs. They were obviously all priced differently though. The Warn would have been the most expensive. The Harbor Freight would be the least expensive. Notice I didn’t say cheapest. They are good winches and will serve you well.

i would not recommend going crazy with the size of your winch. A 2500# , or maximum 3500# will work fine. Anything bigger is overkill and will probably tax your charging system and battery more than you want it to. It might not even fit. You are limited by the battery capacity and charging system.

If I had to pick one out of a field of many, I would go with the Harbor Freight Badlands and probably do the 3500#, or 2500#. Look for a coupon. Hopefully you have a store near you, or the shipping may be cost prohibitive.

I hope that helps.
Yes thank you. I will stick with a 3500. What do you think about a champion? I say that because they are on Amazon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just installed a Badlands ZXR 5000lb winch from Harbor Freight for $179.00. I made a video about my install process(minus the wiring, coming in a video in a day or so). I can tell you, the 5000lb will not fit unless you do a rad relocate. I also have a 3500lb winch, same brand, im going to install on my sons KQ500. The 3500lb should fit nicely but you will need to order the mounting bracket. The winch comes with one but will not fit. Just today, i got to use it to pull a friend out and i had to lock the front brake and sit on the seat to keep from the quad from moving foward.I can also see it wont be long before i get rope instead of cable. check out my project thread. 2019 KQ 750 snorkel, Rad relocate,ect. project thread
I would anchor to a tree with the rear hitch. I am working in the woods though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a 2019 KQ 500axi also, and I just went through the same thought process you did. The comments above are all valid. In my use case, I need to pull floating dock sections out of a lake every fall and while they are on wheels and not super heavy, I wanted the most powerful winch I could fit on the KQ. I settled on the Warn VRX 35. Anything larger will not physically fit on the KQ. The installation was simple, the winch works perfect and I have no complaints. $300 on amazon, add another $80 for the mounting plate. Only issue I had was shortening the cables that go from the battery to the relay, which was pretty simple to solve.
If that is the biggest issue than I am good. Thank you for the reply.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I recently purchased a 2020 kingquad 500 axi. I am looking to install a winch. I was wondering what you guys are using and what suggestions yall might have. I want to mount it in the front and need to know what the biggest size is that i can put on it. I am doing some trail making and looking to pull small stumps out of the ground after a little digging. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I've pulled stumps and large downed trees out of the bush with 2500lb Warn winches with no problems. I prefer Warn but ride with others who use SuperWinch, Champion among others, I think the biggest thing is to buy a brand that will stand behind it if you have problems.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've run 2500 Superwinch, Badlands and Traveler (Tractor Supply) and have had awesome luck with all of them. Just change the rope to nylon if you get one with a steel cable.

·
Super Moderator
8,055 Posts
I have a 2300lb Superwinch on my 300. I’ve had it for years but I’ve only used it a handful of times at most. But it seems reliable and gets the job done. When I bought my 750, part of the deal was a free which. So I have a Warn VRX 2500 on it. I’ve only used it once to try and flip my utility trailer over. But overall I like it. I’ve also thought of switching out the steel cable for synthetic line, but for the amount of times I actually use my winch I’ll just wait till the cable gets badly frayed or breaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
2500 Superwinch on my trailer pulls my 3420#car up and onto my open trailer with a dovetail. I have no doubt a 2500-3500 won't do what you're looking to do....and if not, add a snatch block to increase your line pull ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I went with a Viper, and so far it is working good. The kit came with a snatch block and a wireless remote as well as the bar mounted switch. I also ordered a mounting plate that has a 2" receiver. Sorry, I can't think of the brand right now, but I'll reply when I do remember. The front receiver is nice if you need to move trailers around.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts