Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1998 KQ 300
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
I just purchased a bull dog winch mount for the KQ, and I am in the process of selecting a winch. Have been searching the forum, and do not see any threads on wiring/mounting the Solenoid. I plan on wiring the winch to the free orange wire that is part of the ignition harness ( I am going to use this for my fan too.) Any one have any reservations with using that, and creating a jumper from the ignitron ground?

The second part of this is where to mount the solenoid. I know there is no room under the front plastics as I had them off a few weeks ago to replace the rectifier. It's tighter than a nuns c$%t under there. I saw one youtuber mount it in front of the engine. He had it in a water proof box, and attached it to the grate right under the fuel tank, but lower like on top of the prop shaft. I plan on putting my fan there so that won't work for me. Any pictures/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone has used the bull dog winch mount, tell me what you think of it.
Best,
AA

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have mounted them in the battery compartment. On the R F inner fender. It is a short connection to the positive battery terminal. I also run the solenoid wire from power up to a toggle switch near the front . In line back to the solenoid. Having kids it’s a safety for me. Ground to frame.
A little dialectic grease, electric connections grease, helps . It’s a pretty good power pull.
Good luck man

·
Registered
70 Posts
I mounted mine on the back side of the battery compartment. If your is anything like a 2019 750 KQ it would require you to take the air box out.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My solenoid was quite bulky & to place it anywhere up the front near the winch meant that it would be pretty exposed which I did not want. The best solution I came up with was mounting it in the rear storage box, pretty involved but the end result was worth it & is completely protected from the elements.

Reactions: UpNorthATV

·
Registered
110 Posts
I used a small waterproof case mounted on the screen mesh above the front prop shaft in front of the engine. 0 issues so far.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I did the same as Tone80. Mounted my WARN solenoid in the Rear Storage box. Used long heavy gauge wires. I added a switch between the key on terminal and the key on power so that solenoid is not always energized when the key is on. The solenoid is completely protected from the elements.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
There should be plenty of room under the front cowl/battery cover.....that's where I put mine on 2 KQs and a QR.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Mine are under the battery cover. Next to the battery. On KQ300 and QR250 both are 2000 models.

·
Registered
67 Posts
TCIII & 440Tim, how big a battery are you guys running? No way my winch solenoid would have fitted under the battery cover next to the battery.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
There is a lot more room in mine than that.

·
Super Moderator
8,586 Posts
Seems on the later model KQ’s and QR’s, ‘97 - ‘04. The room in the battery compartment seems to be a lot bigger then the earlier ones. I have a lot of room in my ‘00 300 KQ’s battery compartment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
Mine is also under the battery cover. My battery is not a full size battery like yours though. My winch is an ATV winch from Rural King. It just has a power and ground to hook up that’s it. No separate switch power needed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts