Suzuki ATV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Guys very new to the forum and just purchased a use Suzuki king quad 300. This is my first atv.
Looking to see if someone can guide me in the right direction on a winch mounting plate for this machine

I have searched the forum and found some mounts that could work but for some reason won’t let me send messages

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

This his the mount that I think could work which I found on here searching

thanks
Sal

·
Administrator
9,625 Posts
The winch mounting plates for these bikes are no longer manufactured. This has been the case for numerous years. When I had a which installed on my 300, I had to get a winch plate custom fabricated by a gentleman. Who also installed the winch for me as well. This is pretty much the only avenue you can really take if you want to install a winch on your 300. Once a plate is fabricated, drill some mounting holes and utilize some ubolts to secure it to the front bumper.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I would find this greatly helpful as well. I am looking to possibly add a winch to our newly acquired KQ300. A picture of someone's plate would be great. Also, are cooling fan additions necessary? If so, does this usually occupy the same space and blow on the oil cooler or can you have both the winch and fan? Thanks.

·
Administrator
9,625 Posts
I have pics of my winch plate set up on my 300. But they are on my PC at home and I’m out of town till tomorrow evening. But I’ll try and post up some pics of them tomorrow evening or on Wednesday. As for the cooling fan, no, it’s not absolutely necessary. I’ve gone 23 years on my 300 with no fan and no issues. Just need to be careful not to run it full out all the time, especially on those hot days. I’ve always alternated my speeds on every outing. But the cooling fan definitely helps in cooling on those really hot days.

And the engine doesn’t get a lot of cooling unless your moving. And if you do a lot of low speed riding there’s not much airflow over the oil cooler either. The OEM fan has however been discontinued, and has been for quite some time. The OEM unit worked off of a certain oil temperature and would automatically kick on/off based on a set number. Only option now is to install a Spal fan and run it on a toggle switch. But the fan doesn’t blow air directly on the oil cooler, but moreover blows air directly on the engine head itself. Even the OEM fan was set up in this same manner.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Here’s a picture of the one on my ‘97 QR FWIW. the KQ of that era was similar, but the 2000 might be a bit different. I did but my winch mount. I think it was from Northern Hydraulics at the time (circa 1998), this was prior to the internet going crazy and you ordered from a catalog that was like a magazine they’d send you ever quarter or so.

I’m not a big fan of how the winch drum is obscured from view by the mounting plate. It’s had to see if the cable is spooling correctly.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

1 - 7 of 7 Posts