Suzuki ATV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What size & style winch is everybody using? I have a 2019 KQ 750 & ride alone. This will be my first winch and first real ATV, so I want to do it right. I don't look for mud, just easy trail riding on a stock bike. I will also start taking trips with the quad from Houston to Colorado, New Mexico...Since Texas provides no public land or trails for ATV's. I've been stuck 2x; once straddling a fallen tree and once bottoming out in a little mud, both times on a smaller, old 4 wheeler. Both were a nightmare since I was in a National forest alone.
I'm looking at SuperATV 3500 black ops with a synthetic rope and Warn vrx25 (or VRX35), with a steel cable. Trying to keep everything under $300, including the winch plate. I'll need something in the next couple of weeks before the 1st service.

https://www.denniskirk.com/warn/vrx...d-4x4-power-steering-special-edition-plus.mmy

https://www.superatv.com/3500-black-ops-utv-atv-synthetic-rope-winch

Also, does nobody carry a spare tire while Outlanding?

·
Registered
621 Posts
Either winch will be more than enough, the lighter weight of synthetic rope is a bonus. I have a Warn 3000lb cable type, that saved my bacon once already

Tires are one of the most common failures when trail riding/outlanding. Case in point , I blew one of the stock 3ply Carlisle AT489 tires out a few weeks ago and could not repair it on trail like I have other tires in the past because it was a sidewall puncture. I feel safer now that i’ve replaced the stock AT489 tires with new Kenda 8ply HTRs they should lessen the likely of a failure. I do not carry a spare tire but I do carry a plug type tire repair kit, compact air compressor, a 25’ synthetic tow strap, a tree winch strap, 1st aid kit & a GB40 booster pack.. to name just a few other key essentials.

Reactions: DavidNDC

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Either winch will be more than enough, the lighter weight of synthetic rope is a bonus. I have a Warn 3000lb cable type, that saved my bacon once already

Tires are one of the most common failures when trail riding/outlanding. Case in point , I blew one of the stock 3ply Carlisle AT489 tires out a few weeks ago and could not repair it on trail like I have other tires in the past because it was a sidewall puncture. I feel safer now that i’ve replaced the stock AT489 tires with new Kenda 8ply HTRs they should lessen the likely of a failure. I do not carry a spare tire but I do carry a plug type tire repair kit, compact air compressor, a 25’ synthetic tow strap, a tree winch strap, 1st aid kit & a GB40 booster pack.. to name just a few other key essentials.
Ha, that sounds exactly like my recovery kit on my motorcycle, minus the tree strap. If I wanted to keep the oem tires since I like the ride (tried Maxxis BH 2.0 & didn't like them at all), a spare tire, bottle jack & lug wrench should be all I'd need for an unrepairable tire? Probably the smaller tire size would be wiser to lug around since the diameter is the same on front & rear?
I went ahead & ordered the Warn VRX 25-S just because I got tired of looking at winches after 65 hours yesterday; I hate youtube and the internet!. Hopefully that's big enough (insert joke here). Also got the KFI mounting plate, but need a front soft bag, mirrors, water bottle holder....the madness never ends. Damned cat!

Attachments

·
Registered
300 Posts
A 2500 or 3500 winch should be ok. I've got a 2500 lb. winch. I have not had any issues with it yet. I've pulled my quad with loaded trailer up out of some pretty nasty and steep places.

I keep a tow strap and tree saver wrapped around my brush gaurd . I carry a small tool kit. Tiny 12v slime air pump and tire plugs. It all fits in my factory storage box on my quad. I don't carry or own a spare tire because I've never saw the need.

The best upgrade in my book is tougher more aggressive tires. Use good tires and be smart about where you go. The winch won't see much use if your smart. But it will save you when needed.

Being your first winch learn how to use it before you need it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have always ran warn winches, but I feel the new ones are not the quality they use to be for what they cost now days. I put a super winch terra 35 on my Polaris ranger with a KFI winch plate and it has worked flawlessly for four years now. I now have a KFI stealth 2500 on my 18 KQ 750 with a KFI winch plate, and have had zero problems with it. And it has been put to the test many times.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My original order (Warn VRX 25-S) was canceled due to a tornado destroying a warehouse in Tennessee last week so I went to 3 dealers to buy a Superwinch Terra. None of them carried that brand, so I bought a Warn VRX 25. Easy installation with plenty of extra parts for options. 2 of the cables were very long & the battery terminal bolts are difficult to install after the extra cables were installed, but otherwise everything is good. I used the conduit on the to pull the cables and that spot for the solenoid worked out well. I'm using a KFI plate as well. The whole thing cost $300 so far. I still have to shorten 2 wires and the switch wire, and get a rubber bumper for the hook. Maybe a remote control too.

Attachments

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Front attachment point for winching

Well, I did my best to get stuck in the mud today. It was raining in Houston & floods easily. I eventually got myself stuck (in 2wd) and the winch pulled me out in 10 seconds. Kind of non climactic really. I thought it would be more like those you tube videos all the cool kids are making.
Anyway, my question is similar to my earlier one. If I wanted to use a tree saver with a pulley, where would I attached the winches hook to the bike? There's usually a shackle up front and in the rear. I have one in the rear hitch receiver, but that doesn't help in this situation.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Winch is only part of equation. Extra rope, snatch block, a few cable clamps (for winch cable repair if wire rope is used), tree strap, etc sometimes are nice to have. Granted, most times a simple tug with the winch will do it. Watch youtube vids on winching techniques - there are some tricks to learn. As for the snatch block, texas123, my 2015 KQ has a ring hook below the winch, albeit hard to get at in a stuck situation.

I also carry a 500lb chain hoist - a little tiny thing. Great for pulling backward if forward is no longer an option. Only used once yet, but I was damn glad I had it. If you are not alone, then no need.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The winch saved my bacon again. Got stuck over a fallen tree, like a teeter totter. I was 15 miles in the middle of a national forest and alone. You can't spend enough on this recovery gear. The bike did awesome; it went places my Can-Am Outlanders couldn't make. I think it's the locked rear diff vs open on the Can-Am. The Suzuki is not a sporty or fun, but it'll go places the Outlander wouldn't make.
I'll be going to Sam Houston National Forest next week before Thanksgiving. If anybody want to get together, PM me.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have the 2019 750 and had the dealer install the quad boss 2500 and it's been great so far! It's my second one, had the same on a 2017 500 and again no problems. I think the 2500 is enough for these bikes and the quad boss winch is very reasonably priced also. Have synthetic and it's the way to go imo.. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Ha, that sounds exactly like my recovery kit on my motorcycle, minus the tree strap. If I wanted to keep the oem tires since I like the ride (tried Maxxis BH 2.0 & didn't like them at all), a spare tire, bottle jack & lug wrench should be all I'd need for an unrepairable tire? Probably the smaller tire size would be wiser to lug around since the diameter is the same on front & rear?
I went ahead & ordered the Warn VRX 25-S just because I got tired of looking at winches after 65 hours yesterday; I hate youtube and the internet!. Hopefully that's big enough (insert joke here). Also got the KFI mounting plate, but need a front soft bag, mirrors, water bottle holder....the madness never ends. Damned cat!
Where is the best place to buy Suzuki accessories? 2022 750 kingquad. I'm tryingbto find decent mirrors, blinkers, horn etc. A lot of them are cheap so I want something decent.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts