Suzuki ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I upgraded the headlights on my 2020 KQ750 to LED lights. What a difference!

Its an inexpensive upgrade. I did it some time ago on my 2009 KQ and loved the results. The lights are much brighter, whiter and use less power.

I highly recommend the upgrade.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I installed a Warn winch plate #70326 on my 2021 KQ750. I noticed when installing that the plate sat a lot higher than it does on my Vinson with a lot of space under it. Also the Warn plate extends back a lot farther and i got the idea to mount a tow hook under it for a solid tow point. I bought a hook from Harbor Freight for less than $10 and marked out where the holes needed to be, drilled them and it works great.

The Warn #70326 winch plate extends back far enough so the bolts will not get into the spool
Motor vehicle Wood Automotive exterior Bumper Gas

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Rim Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Bumper

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
64 Posts
I ordered a full set of Ricochet skid plates for my KQ and they are supposed to be delivered tomorrow. Any tips for installing them? I seen a youtube video where they said to start from the rear and work towards the front but i cant find it now.

When I installed factory aluminum skids on my Vinson they buzzed a lot and i had to smear areas where the aluminum touched the frame with black RTV to form a cushion to keep it quiet. My friends running Ricochet plates on his Can-Am and they don't buzz at all. Not sure if it's because of the way Can-Am frames are designed or maybe they just clamp tighter.

Any tips would be great.

·
Super Moderator
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ordered a full set of Ricochet skid plates for my KQ and they are supposed to be delivered tomorrow. Any tips for installing them? I seen a youtube video where they said to start from the rear and work towards the front but i cant find it now.

When I installed factory aluminum skids on my Vinson they buzzed a lot and i had to smear areas where the aluminum touched the frame with black RTV to form a cushion to keep it quiet. My friends running Ricochet plates on his Can-Am and they don't buzz at all. Not sure if it's because of the way Can-Am frames are designed or maybe they just clamp tighter.

Any tips would be great.
I can’t speak specifically about that product, or the specific installation. However, you might want to consider an isolation washer between the skid plate and the frame. I wouldn’t do anything crazy thick, just consider a soft washer that will fit the hardware.

Also, don’t tighten any fasteners until all have been installed completely. Some directions lack that critical point . The end result is you fight to align things. Loosey goosey wins until you have everything lined up and all hardware installed.

Good luck with it and post up when you are done!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I got my Ricochet skid plates on today. Took about 2 hours to install and the instructions were not that great. I ran into a few problems, first problem was the first clamp bolt on the rear plate seemed to be severely misaligned. The torx bolt was cocked sideways so bad i thought i was going to have to egg the hole out to get it to sit flat. But i left it alone until i got the rest of the skids on and noticed that it was not sitting flat against the frame. I stuck a car jack under it and flattened it out and the bolt lined up pretty well after that.

Second problem was the front bash plate bolts they gave me were too short so i am going to have to go to a hardware store and buy longer bolts.

Third problem was that the rear A arm skid clamps closest to the wheel did not want to go in because the alignment was so far off from the clamp. After some adjusting the plate and taking it off and putting it back on a few times i stuck my head in the wheel well to look down from the top and i seen the problem. Ricochet provides clamps for a 1" tube. This works fine on the inner tube but the outer tube has a bit of reinforcement welded to it which makes the tube too large for the clamp they give you. I just stuck it in a vice and spread it open a tad and it it worked fine.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

This is the bolts that were too short and i don't have any bolts to replace them with yet.
Bumper Automotive exterior Tool Grass Personal protective equipment

And this shows how well it protects the 4wd and locker shift actuators. After busting the shift actuator on my Vinson i decided skids were worth it and will save me from having to replace it later.
Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
64 Posts
This is the slight problem i ran into on the rear A-arm skid install. As you can see the inner clamp fits fine. But the outer clamp will not fit over the welded on reinforcement because the tube is too large. It is an easy fix though, I just clamped it in a vice and bent it out with a adjustable wrench.

Automotive tire Bicycle fork Bumper Bicycle part Bicycle frame

·
Registered
5 Posts
New wheels and tires on my 750 today! Went from 25x8x12 (fronts) 25x10x12 (rears) to
26x10x12 all around. Fit well, no rubbing, looks great.
Wheel Tire Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

·
Registered
5 Posts
How does it steer with 10" wide tires in the front? Any problems with power steering? And what wheel offset is that 5+2?
Yea, 5+2 all around. The steering does feel a little different, but not heavier. Maybe a little more feel to it. The power steering still has that effortless feeling to it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yea, 5+2 all around. The steering does feel a little different, but not heavier. Maybe a little more feel to it. The power steering still has that effortless feeling to it.
I would like to upgrade tires but i am not sure if i want the extra weight of 26's. I do trail riding and the 25's on my Vinson always did fine. I have already bolted quite a bit of weight to mine and i still don't have a winch yet. I would like to keep this thing as light and nimble for trail riding as i can. I have a feeling i will have to do performance mods to mine to keep the power it had when skids, a winch and radial tires weren't bolted on it. I would like to keep it as sporty and nimble as possible.

Also my next mod is going to be a Baofeng radio mount. I have already 3D printed one and i think it will work well. I just need to order a Ram mount arm to attach it to the handlebars. I used this file because it seems like it will hold it better than an actual Ram mount i am using on my Vinson for trail communication. Baofeng UV-5R RAM Mount by JSTMCC
Font Gadget Material property Technology Software

·
Registered
5 Posts
The Sedona RIP SAWS, are a heavier tire, no question there. The acceleration doesn’t seemed to have changed, but when I’m coming out of a dip and want to pull that front up, I can tell it works a little harder to do it.

My riding style, has changed as I’m getting older. I’ve slowed down quite a bit and am no longer into the real aggressive riding. I had it out last night for a couple of hrs and close to my house is a gravel pit. I rode over there and way in the back found an area where sea of dirt was dropped in mounds that were average 2 to 3 foot tall and together tightly. So I put er in 4wd and just slowly navigated (crawled) through there. More my speed these days. 🙂

·
Super Moderator
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nothing big the last week , or so. I just got home from a trip to Northeast PA. I washed the trail off both machines. Now I need to clean the trail off my paver driveway. Lol

·
Registered
64 Posts
I did my first oil change at 12 hours it came out dark but looked good no apparent metal flake or shavings from the initial break in. But i was disappointed to see there was no magnet on the drain plug. I looked up a drain plug with a magnet on it and found www.goldplug.com. I looked up a plug for my 2021 750 and their plug finder told me to use MP-06. But MP-06 looked a lot longer than the plug that i took out. So i emailed them and they recommended part number MP-06R which is shorter. I cant believe i just paid $25 for a magnetic drain plug though, they came standard on my Vinson :sick:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yesterday I upgraded the headlights on my 2020 KQ750 to LED lights. What a difference!

Its an inexpensive upgrade. I did it some time ago on my 2009 KQ and loved the results. The lights are much brighter, whiter and use less power.

I highly recommend the upgrade.
What brand / part number did you use?

·
Super Moderator
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
64 Posts

·
Super Moderator
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I dont ride at night much anymore but i might upgrade to these eventually, thanks.
I don’t really ride at night often either. However, with the days getting short at the end of my riding season, an early start, or a late return to the trailer can cause me to need them.

I am more likely to use my lights during the daytime to mark my presence on the trail.

·
Administrator
8,986 Posts
I haven’t really done anything new to my 750 lately. But I did do these two upgrades last year shortly after I bought it. Now I know it’s not any recent upgrades, but I thought I’d contribute to this thread.

The first upgrade I did was install some mirrors. Now I know a good majority of people don’t use them and that’s fine. But it’s nice knowing what’s creeping up behind you when your out on the trails. Also comes in handy when riding main dirt roads as I can see if a car or truck is coming up from behind. And for that reason when I’m out riding with my buddy, I always get tasked with riding the middle part of the road as I can see what’s coming up from behind. Which is fine, doesn’t bother me one bit.

My next upgrade following my mirrors was a seat/cargo box with passenger foot pegs for my wife. And well let’s face it, I even use it when she wants to drive. So far that’s the only upgrades that I’ve done to my 750. I wanted to upgrade my tires this year but vehicle repairs negated that. So next spring I’ll be upgrading my stock Carlyle’s to some Kenda Bear Claw HTR’s. I’m looking really looking forward to that as it’ll also improve handling and comfort.

Cloud Sky Vehicle Plant Motor vehicle

Sky Plant Cloud Vehicle Hood

Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Hood

Cloud Plant Automotive tire Sky Vehicle

·
Registered
64 Posts
I did my first oil change at 12 hours it came out dark but looked good no apparent metal flake or shavings from the initial break in. But i was disappointed to see there was no magnet on the drain plug. I looked up a drain plug with a magnet on it and found www.goldplug.com. I looked up a plug for my 2021 750 and their plug finder told me to use MP-06. But MP-06 looked a lot longer than the plug that i took out. So i emailed them and they recommended part number MP-06R which is shorter. I cant believe i just paid $25 for a magnetic drain plug though, they came standard on my Vinson :sick:

I received my GoldPlug MP-06R today and it is too short and i dont trust it to not strip the threads out on the engine. So if your going to buy a plug from Gold Plug just get the MP-06 longer one and deal with length.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have done the LED headlight aswell. Alot more light for sure. I added in a 14 in flood LED light bar and the quad lights up the trail pretty good now! Last pic was taken at a WWII radio site at the gaff topsail Newfoundland. 730km ride those few days. Nice pics of the King Quads you have folks!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts