Suzuki ATV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have a 2005 Suzuki Vinson 500... runs great, starts pretty easy but lately its dropping idle... doesn't stall. It doesn't pop or smell like fuel... just drops idle for a quick second.

Plenty of gas, newer spark plug, gap is fine...

Any ideas on what that may be?

·
Administrator
8,938 Posts
Your Vinson carbureted or fuel injected..? And welcome to the Forum.

·
Administrator
8,938 Posts
Then if it’s carbureted I’d suggest doing a thorough carb cleaning and installing a carb rebuild kit. Your idle circuit might be partially clogged up causing your erratic idle issue.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Kinda what i was thinking, i never had this problem though. When i experienced carb problems my float valve was sticking open. I parked it in my garage and woke up the the smell of gasoline int he middle of the night. :eek: I never opened the garage so fast, the air box was completely full as well as the cylinder and crankcase. Luckily my house didn't explode or i didn't try to start it and bend a rod trying to compress liquid.

When i took the carb off it was actually very clean and there was nothing wrong with the float valve. But it had some white buildup in the float valve seat that i buffed off with a Q-tip causing the needle to stick.

You could try draining the float bowl on the carb and disconnecting the gas line and filling the fuel bowl up with pure carb cleaner and letting it sit for a few days. Maybe start it to try to suck carb cleaner though the idle port then shut it down and just let the cleaner do it's job. Then drain again and hook it back up to the gas tank and see if it will run better. Much easier than taking the carb off and worth a shot.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Most likely a dirty pilot jet. So often I hear. "Put a carb kit in it." but no after market kit will work as good as the factory parts. I've done dozens if not more than a hundred carb jobs. Very rarely do they need more than a cleaning or a needle and seat. The carburetor is a very simple device but there are three things to help keep you out of trouble.
1.When you let you bike sit for more than a few weeks run the gas out of the carb.
2. Use a good additive in the fuel a few times a year. ( I've had really good luck with Seafoam)
3. Avoid ethanol fuels.

Just my 2 cents and over 40 years of working on carbureted and others

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Most likely a dirty pilot jet. So often I hear. "Put a carb kit in it." but no after market kit will work as good as the factory parts. I've done dozens if not more than a hundred carb jobs. Very rarely do they need more than a cleaning or a needle and seat. The carburetor is a very simple device but there are three things to help keep you out of trouble.
1.When you let you bike sit for more than a few weeks run the gas out of the carb.
2. Use a good additive in the fuel a few times a year. ( I've had really good luck with Seafoam)
3. Avoid ethanol fuels.

Just my 2 cents and over 40 years of working on carbureted and others
Thank you for the response!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts