Suzuki ATV Forum banner

81 - 100 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
You can if you block off the vacuum port on the carb that the hose to the petcock was using and you must turn the petcock to the OFF position when not running the motor to prevent possible flooding carb and crankcase with fuel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
new member and am not sure if this is the place to ask but I have a 2003 eiger 400 quad runner auto. I have three hoses that seem to go nowhere one is clear and comes off of the fan and runs back by the carb but it is not hooked to anything and two black ones under the seat one is 1/2 inch and the other looks to be 1/4 inch. Can anyone tell me where they are suppose to connect or if they are suppose to connect to anything, Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
question

new member and am not sure if this is the place to ask but I have a 2003 eiger 400 quad runner auto. I have three hoses that seem to go nowhere one is clear and comes off of the fan and runs back by the carb but it is not hooked to anything and two black ones under the seat one is 1/2 inch and the other looks to be 1/4 inch. Can anyone tell me where they are suppose to connect or if they are suppose to connect to anything, Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys thanks for all the info, very helpful. I have a 2001 King Quad LT-F300F and the dang thing won't start. Shocking, right?

I opened the petcock and the rubber diaphragm is torn in the middle. Does that mean I'm losing vacuum and not getting consistent fuel, or is fuel free flowing?

Of course I can't find a replacement diaphragm online, so I ordered the knockoff petcock for $8.

·
Super Moderator
8,278 Posts
There are no rebuild kits available for the fuel petcocks. If the diaphragm is torn or damaged you need to replace the whole fuel petcock assembly. And to find out if your running to much fuel or not enough look at the electrode on the spark plug. It's color will tell you what the engine is doing. Black in color your running too rich, white in color your running too lean. A correctly running atv should yield a light tan color on the plug. And hopefully your knock off fuel petcock will work alright.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you.

I don't know if this is kosher to ask but does anyone have the repair manual in file form for a 2001 Suzuki King Quad 300 4x4?

·
Super Moderator
8,278 Posts
Do you mean PDF style..?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Another newbie here. Wish I would've found this thread before I rebuilt the carb! I just acquired an 05 Vinson 500 That wouldn't run and eventually stalled after running or idling for a bit. So I put an in-line shut off valve between the petcock and the carb and can run with it set on PRI but I'm having a problem with the vacuum line. Everything I read on here says to block the vacuum line that was disconnected from the petcock but mine will only run with that vacuum line left open. Any ideas why this might be? It seems to run fine this way in the garage just backfires a little bit… I think that's because somebody took the guts out of the muffler before I got it. I also drained about 5 to 6 quarts of gas and oil out of the crank and changed the oil.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hmmm it seems that my 2001 KQ300 has the same issues with the fuel tap.
No wonder the oil level is high again in the sump.
From what everyone has said, it looks like the quick fix is to block off the vacuum line and feed the fuel to the pump via the "Prime" position. The "On" position then becomes "Off".

Has anyone found a source for a replacement diaphragm that does not break the bank?

·
Super Moderator
8,278 Posts
No, there are no replacement diaphragms. But you can either buy a OEM replacement fuel petcock, or you can buy a cheap Yamaha Raptor 660 fuel petcock. I believe the Raptor fuel petcock is On/Off/Res, not sure though. If so, all you'd need to do is cap the vacuum port on the carb.

Reactions: bigal270b

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thank you for the pictures. A bit off topic, but I've always had fuel starvation issues and assumed it the carb needed rebuilt. It would run, only after I pressurized the gas tank. Long story short, the previous owner attempted to plug the vacuum line for the petcock, but instead plugged the fuel pump vacuum line. It's because of your pictures I was able to find the issue and correct it.

Again, thank you very much.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So will it hurt to run it on pri ??? Mine seems to run fine for while then nothing, like Im not getting fuel or my air box fill full of gas.
2000 Quadmaster 500.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
If you run it on Prime.....It would be best to turn it back to ON when engine is off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm new to this forum and have been able to find some very good information on here!

Has anyone found a fuel petcock rebuild kit for the Suzuki Ozark 250 (mine is the 2002 model)? I've seen some kits online where the diaphragm and gasket/valve packing look very similar to mine, but I can never find one for my specific model.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This thread has been a great overall read. I picked up a well-preserved & good-boned '04 Suzuki Ozark 250 for my son last Saturday for $1k. Within 2 minutes of the testdrive, the engine cut out at WOT in 5th gear. Thinking I had blown something on someone else's bike, I limped it back to its barn and told the guy something was "off" with its performance. He said he had never gotten it out of 2nd gear, as he only used it to "check his cows and fences". He then rode it and discovered the same thing. He blamed it on bad gas and said it needed a carb job. I'm not one for project bikes so I passed it up. After loading it into his truck and about to part ways, he said I'll come down $200 since I was splitting the cost with my 9yo son. I quickly jumped on it knowing that a friend could likely clean the carb pretty easy. We got home and started at the fuel tank by taking of the petcock. We disassembled it, cleaned the diaphragm and innerds, then reassembled it. We then noticed an oil leak below the pull start housing, so after removing it, we discovered the crankcase was indeed full-of 80-90 % gas and very little oil. This left us scratching our heads and quickly pulling out our peripheral brains to see how this could occur. After discovering this thread, I purchase a a carb-rebuild kit and a manual suzuki fuel petcock which should arrive early next week. If everything works out, I think my son will have one great quad. I've heard and seen that these Ozarks are not that common but yet well built overall.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, i have 07 suz vinson with this problem. i just replaced the petcock w/oem one. seems worse, flooding problem.
i wonder if primary trick will work. its my nephews machine.he says the vac line is ok? Help, Thanks so much Byron.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Hello, i have 07 suz vinson with this problem. i just replaced the petcock w/oem one. seems worse, flooding problem.
i wonder if primary trick will work. its my nephews machine.he says the vac line is ok? Help, Thanks so much Byron.
If you replaced the petcock......it is not your problem

could be bad or mis-adjusted float and needle

Check carb vent line to see if it is clear and not stopped up

Vent on gas cap could be bad

Have you CLEANED and installed a kit in the carb?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
By the way.......
There is now a Petcock rebuild kit on Ebay for the King Quad / Quad Runner .....for regular or vacuum operated ( separate kits ) .....years 2002 and earlier models.

Made by All Balls

Reactions: Dacaur
81 - 100 of 127 Posts