Suzuki ATV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just brought another King quad (1997). Previous owner said it starts (which it did and idled properly, no black smoke), ran properly during test drive. Had not set but for 2 months, covered and owner said he put stabilizer in the gas.
Problem: Ran it about 10 miles and it stopped, refused to start. Got it home and pulled plug, and it was gray, good blue spark. Check the fuel filter and appeared to be brand new, separated the line at the fuel filter and cranked it and no fuel coming from the gas tank to the carb. Pet cock seems to be working ok. no fuel in the vacuum line at the pet cock. Might be the fuel pump.
Question: Is there a way to check the fuel pump for vacuum without removing the front fender?
Or any other ideas on which way to go.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, unhooked the fuel line at the pet cock, turned from off to reserve and primary and fuel is released, when turned to off the fuel stops, I have separated the gas line before the fuel filter cranked the engine and no fuel flows. So, I am assuming that is the fuel pump. I have yet to check compression on the engine.
Anyone have any other ideas that I might look into before starting the tear down.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From the repair manual:

The fuel pump is operated by engine vacuum when the engine is running. The pump cannot be serviced and if defective. must be replaced.
So just cranking the engine will not cause the fuel to flow.

going to do a tear down and replace it anyway as well as do a carb rebuild. Since the original clamp is on the gas line, don't believe it has ever been serviced.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.