Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Suzuki King Quad 300
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
First off when I purchased this atv 2 year ago it ran great then after a couple times riding it dyed never started again. So I put new stator and pickup coil CDI module and resistor and coil with new plug. Cleaned gas tank with all new lines then new vacuum lines rebuild carb new air filter and adjusted valves. All oem parts of course it will start right up and idle all day put has no power when accelerating. I thought it was running a little lean so adjusted carb some more to give it more fuel still sluggish and exhaust header is getting red. Any help would be greatly appreciated I wonder if it jumped a tooth on cam chain? Thanks for your help.

·
Super Moderator
387 Posts
If the head pipe is glowing past the first bend and it’s visible in the daytime , you are probably running lean. How does it run with the choke partially closed? Play with the choke while your driving and see if the “sweet spot” is with the choke anything less than fully open when the engine is warm. Also, read the plug. What does it look like?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I had this EXACT problem. Its the spark pickup next to the stator. It's too far away from the flywheel to generate spark over 2000rpm. You have to take the case off, remove the pickup and file the holes oblong to get it to sit about .030 closer to the flywheel. Too close and it will hit... so remove the spark plug and roll it over by hand before final assembly.

By chance is it a Caltrics stator/pickup? A OEM or good used Suzuki one should have zero issues.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the head pipe is glowing past the first bend and it’s visible in the daytime , you are probably running lean. How does it run with the choke partially closed? Play with the choke while your driving and see if the “sweet spot” is with the choke anything less than fully open when the engine is warm. Also, read the plug. What does it look like?
I haven’t got to try it out yet but I will this week and let you know thanks for replying with the info

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had this EXACT problem. Its the spark pickup next to the stator. It's too far away from the flywheel to generate spark over 2000rpm. You have to take the case off, remove the pickup and file the holes oblong to get it to sit about .030 closer to the flywheel. Too close and it will hit... so remove the spark plug and roll it over by hand before final assembly.

By chance is it a Caltrics stator/pickup? A OEM or good used Suzuki one should have zero issues.
I’m pretty sure it is a caltrics stator only part I didn’t go back with oem I have a 97 parts king quad with 1200miles on it I will just use it and do away with the damn knock-off junk. Thanks for for your help

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any chance that the timing chain could have stretched and jumped a tooth which put it out of time I tried doing a leak down test and it didn’t show much seemed pretty tight but it is only showing around 90lbs on the compression test put on a freshly built oem card off my 96 today and same issue even after making it less lean

·
Registered
92 Posts
Pop the cap off the LH side of the head and take out the timing cover bolt. Get it to TDC on the flywheel and check that the cams markings are parallel to the seam in the head and that the square marking is facing away from the piston. If its not 100% parallel then your timing jumped.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts