1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - just picked up a 2002 Eiger 400 4x4 manual trans

1600 miles

Brand new tires

This thing needs work - I knew it would need some work - BUT - I thought it would last longer than an afternoon.

front brakes are junk - I need new calipers & pads

Rednecks welded a hitch on the front - so the rack cannot be unbolted

So yesterday when I test drove it - it started easy - push the button & off I went.

Today - almost the same thing - it cranked a few times but started - I pulled out of the garage & it died about 30 ft. out.

That was it - no mo go

I have good spark - pulled & cleaned the plug - then replaced it

I have gas to the carb & I pulled the air filter & intake - so its getting air.

Any thoughts? I'm about to pay someone to fix it & I haven't even enjoyed it yet.

·
Super Moderator
7,841 Posts
Pull the plug and try putting a shot a fuel/gas down the cylinder. Now reinsert the spark plug and crank her over, see if she at least catches. Or another thing you could try is setting the fuel petcock to the Pri (Prime) position, then try cranking the engine over. Note: Make sure you set the fuel petcock back to (On) position after you've done this test, otherwise you may encounter some fuel contamination.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Long story - I took the quad to the local repair / dealer.

I told them the previous owner told me it needed a timing chain. so replace the timing chain, clean the carb, set the valves & just general tune up.

2 weeks later - I called to find out what was up.

They said the engine had no compression & needed a total rebuild & refused to do any work on it, besides a total rebuild. Wanted a very large sum of money.

I posted an ad on craigslist looking for an atv mechanic. I got a call from a guy who said he might be able to help. I dropped it off at this guys work & next door was a powersports repair shop - which was only a little local place.

He popped the cover & in less than an hour he found the quad needed a timing chain!!! it had jumped a couple teeth, which is why it had no compression.

& for a very reasonable amount of money - next week - I will have my quad back running like new. He said the rest of the bike is good. NO issues.

Can someone explain to me why it is so hard to find an honest business any more?

Grayboy world of powersports Peoria heights il. shame on you.

·
Super Moderator
7,841 Posts
Unfortunately there are still some shops out there that will try and get every penny out of you that they can. Personally i think it's wrong as shops and dealerships should be completely honest with customers to keep their trust and business. Suggested repairs that don't need to be done without proper diagnosis will only raise suspicion as you found out. Luckily you brought it elsewhere for a second opinion.

I also did something similar after numerous trips to my local Suzuki dealer for no back brakes. They reassured me the brakes were fine and the pads were still within spec. They said they adjusted them but that's the best they'll ever get because their design was poor. Well after a hunting excursion last fall my back brakes failed altogether. So i got fed up and seeked a second a opinion from a Bombardier dealer just down the street from my local Suzuki dealer. Well after a quick inspection the mechanic called me up and asked what the story was with the Suzuki mechanic. So i told him the story that they kept telling me which was that the back brakes were fine and that the design of them was poorly constructed and that's the best they'll ever get. He then said, well your brakes are adjusted to their limit which means they are more then likely finished. So i told him to replace the shoes but leave the drum for now because i didn't have the cash. Anyhow, with the new shoes on i now have partial brakes, better then i ever had. And when i took a look at my old shoes, there was barely any material left on them. So after that i lost a lot of faith in my local Suzuki dealer because of a lazy work attitude and comments like that. Even the guys from the Bombardier dealer were shocked they would even say such a thing to a customer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts