Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all....I've been away from 4-wheeling for a while and now want to buy my next adventure. IMO, all the manufacturers make great products. Myself, I came from a Honda Rincon, but was disappointed with no low gear, no locking front differential, and a lack of power at really important times. I'm considering the King Quad because it has all those features, but really because of it's bullet-proof reputation for dependability. I actually need the additional features for where I like to ride, but will say that I avoid the mud bogs every chance I get. Older rider....been there, done that.

Why am I hesitating? Well, it's because Suzuki also has a reputation for being a "Buick" type machine, versus a more modern design "Corvette" type. I hope everyone's OK with the analogy. All the ATV manufacturers are represented where I live, but demoing bikes in the parking lot will not be helpful in the decision. I will say that sitting on the KQ definitely sold me on the lower center of gravity and rider position. But yes, I'm considering the KQ 750, Can Am 650/850, and Polaris 850 (all with power steering).

Why do I like the Can Am products? Power and suspension, as well as being very well built, with a very modern design. Rider position seems higher than KQ.

Same for Polaris....Power, suspension, design, but very comfortable. It's hard for me to get past their previous maintenance issues, and recently was told by a major local retailer that their shop gets twice as many PoPo repairs as any other. By the way.....generally never any Suzuki repairs.

Are Suzuki's really that much better, or is it because they have so much less market share? I've owned Suzuki motorcycles before with no issue, but again, they were pretty vanilla in their performance and technology. For an old guy, I ride much harder than I should, but if you're not gonna go for it - go to the golf course instead.

Please let me have your suggestions. I am completely open at this point and look forward to everyone's thoughts.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've owned 2, 2018 Can-Am Outlanders, a 450 & 570 Max. I recently bought a 2019 KQ 750 & they are different bikes. The CanAms are a lot more fun, but the Suzuki is like a ram in the mountains, just goes through anything. It has a closed rear diff & CanAm is open. Of all the bikes, the CanAm 570 Max was the best, due to it's 8" longer wheelbase and great V-twin engine. CanAms are very well designed & I think very reliable as well. The Suzuki has better quality parts. It's like a luxury vehicle that will run through anything & the CanAm would be like a Porsche SUV; limited off road but very fun! Another difference is the way the belts engage. Suzuki is always tight which makes a lot of engine braking & CanAm just glides when you let off the gas, which I prefer. CanAm has way more tie down points, Suzuki only has the rear hitch as a tie down point for transporting. Suzuki also has a better finish, but the foot platforms are not flat for some reason. Lots of differences, I like CanAm. They're all fine though.
Don't forget the Polaris bikes. They are my favorite but have been having quality problems recently from what I've read. The only bike I wouldn't want is the Hondas. They're garbage & if you removed that Honda logo, they wouldn't sell at all. Yamaha was my 1st choice, but they are pricey and don't discount them like Suzuki. I actually forgot Suzuki made quads when I was looking.
I mainly ride at Sam Houston National Forest which are tight trails through the woods with a few mud puddles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So having owned and liked everything you've owned, do you have any regrets with your current KQ purchase? Was there something that made you go this route, versus another?

·
Registered
130 Posts
So having owned and liked everything you've owned, do you have any regrets with your current KQ purchase? Was there something that made you go this route, versus another?
King Quad is a fine bike and I don't have any regrets; nothing special though. I'm not a fan boy & like to try different brands, that's why I chose it.
The CanAms, however, were really fun bikes, but It seemed like the open differentials made it have to work harder to get through rough terrain while the Japanese bikes just roll right through in 2wd. I think the Kawasaki 750 is the best bike I've ridden for really rough stuff, but It turns like a tank & drives like a mule. If you're racing around, get the Outlander 570 Max, but if you're riding 10mph & fighting your way through trails, I'd stick with the closed diff. Japanese bikes. Also, the Yamaha & Suzuki are single cylinders making them less complex and simpler to deal with for the long haul. There are considerably less parts and information on the Suzuki because they don't sell very many quads, so consider that as well. The CanAms I had sold very quickly on Craigslist & I'd guess the Suzuki would take longer to sell. Like I said, I enjoyed the CanAm Outlander 570 Max by far over everything else.

·
Registered
568 Posts
the KQ750 is very sporty for a utility vehicle. Isn’t a Can Am 570 Max a 2up machine? It’s def not sporty around here. Its for 2 ppl, 570cc and weights more than the KQ! for trail riding I can rip through just as fast as I did with my BF750 but with more precise handling and comfort. admittedly, the single 750 is not as quick off the line as the 650 and up VTwins in a drag race, but top speed is close and who drags race an atv anyway. For all around trail riding fast or slow, the KQ is excellent imo. Very comfortable . I like the floorboards, good grip and good for transitioning your weight, also they shed water nicley. I really like the KQ engineering and design for DIY, it’s well laid out for easy maintenance. Weakest point of the KQ , I would say is the stock tires. all good atvs but I have no regrets.

·
Registered
130 Posts
the KQ750 is very sporty for a utility vehicle. Isn’t a Can Am 570 Max a 2up machine? It’s def not sporty around here. Its for 2 ppl, 570cc and weights more than the KQ! for trail riding I can rip through just as fast as I did with my BF750 but with more precise handling and comfort. admittedly, the single 750 is not as quick off the line as the 650 and up VTwins in a drag race, but top speed is close and who drags race an atv anyway. For all around trail riding fast or slow, the KQ is excellent imo. Very comfortable . I like the floorboards, good grip and good for transitioning your weight, also they shed water nicley. I really like the KQ engineering and design for DIY, it’s well laid out for easy maintenance. Weakest point of the KQ , I would say is the stock tires. all good atvs but I have no regrets.
They're both good machines; the Suzuki is better quality, fit & finish and a beast off road. Way more power and speed for normal riding on both bikes, almost to a fault really (about 50hp each).
My point was the Can-Am 570 was it was more fun to zip around on & less suited for tough trails. But with the Can-Am Outlander Maxs' 8" longer wheel base, it is more stable at speed and a smoother ride. It also gave me the option to safely take a passenger. And the V-twin engine was very smooth and less "thumpy" than a big single. I like my Suzuki a lot, but it's more utility than sport compared to the Outlanders I had. I really don't think you can make a mistake with nearly all brands of atvs, except Honda, which seems to target rancher types.
By the way, nice 4Runner. I have the Trail model & take it off roading when I drag the KQ to the Trails. Almost as fun as the quad.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As fate would have it, I just had the opportunity to ride a Can Am 1000R XT on the Hatfield-McCoy trails this past few days. For those who haven't been, just do it - and while I'm at it, shout out to Twin Hollow Campground in Gilbert, WV. Situated directly on the Rock House trail, this place is awesome. Now back to atv's - while the Can Am is an absolute beast for power, it really required an experienced rider (which I am) on twisty, tight trails because of it's size, power and throttle response. The suspension was not as solid as I would have thought on rocky trails. Because the throttle was so responsive, there were a few dangerous, very tight, up-hill situations. On down-hill runs, and on whoops, the seat would often cast you way to much forward, making it difficult to stay back, and honestly was not as comfortable as other machines I've ridden. To be perfectly candid, this bike exhausted me about half way thru the day. A slightly smaller bike with less weight, like the KQ, IMO, is far better suited to that specific type of riding. Again, the power of the Can Am is frickin' impressive, but I'm not sure when, or who, could EVER use this much HP. Again, if you're not an experienced rider, I wouldn't mess with these 1000-size bikes.

So this trip proved one thing to me: For this type of trail riding, which is what I do - up hill, down hill, tight, twisty mountain trails, the Suzuki is still very much a contender, and I will likely stay in the 750 - 850 cc size because of weight and chasis size. Power on these types of trails is a virtual non-issue with the 750 size bikes. Besides rider skill, you need a good suspension, power steering, four-wheel drive, good ground clearance, good tires (which the Can Am doesn't have), down-hill engine breaking, but not overly so......a comfortable seat, and a great transmission. Suzy has these.

I found enough that I questioned about the Can Am to steer me away from them.

Thanks for everyone's comments.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts