Suzuki ATV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After I painted my 03 ozark I thought about giving it a two inch lift and some bigger tires but I have no idea what size to go with that I wouldn’t have to cut anything and still get the look I want. Front is 22x7-11 Rear is 22x10-9 so any ideas would be greatly appreciated..thanks
Tire Wheel Vehicle Plant Automotive tire

·
Administrator
9,371 Posts
Larger atv tires in general are heavier then say the stock Carlyle 489’s. And on a smaller 2WD 250 Ozark, putting larger tires will rob you of your top end speed and acceleration. And the larger you go, the worst it’ll be.

If your looking for something a bit more aggressive with a radial construction. Try the original Kenda Bear Claws, (K299). I put them on my 300 KQ and didn’t really notice any performance loss. Only thing I really noticed was the improved handling and ride quality. The original Bear Claws are not true radials like their counterpart the HTR’s. But they definitely feel like it. Was a huge improvement over my stock Dunlops that came on my 300. And the original Bear Claws (K299) come in a variety of different sizes.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Larger atv tires in general are heavier then say the stick Carlyle 489’s. And on a smaller 2WD 250 Ozark, putting larger tires will rob you of your top end speed and acceleration. And the larger you go, the worst it’ll be.

If your looking for something a bit more aggressive with a radial construction. Try the original Kenda Bear Claws, (K299). I put them on my 300 KQ and didn’t really notice any performance loss. Only thing I really noticed was the improved handling and ride quality. The original Bear Claws are not true radial like their counterpart the HTR’s. But they definitely feel like it. Was a huge improvement over my stock Dunlops that came on my 300. And the original Bear Claws (K299) come in a variety of different sizes.
ok thanks so i keep the tire sizes the same and just go with kendra bear claws brand .... sorry to ask dont know much about this stuff

·
Super Moderator
1,047 Posts
ok thanks so i keep the tire sizes the same and just go with kendra bear claws brand .... sorry to ask dont know much about this stuff
I agree 100% and glad to see you are making the right decision. The small displacement motor on the Ozark will really feel the effects of a larger and heavier tire. Larger changes your effective gear ratio and heavier is …..well, just more of a burden for the engine to turn. People don’t understand the science between adding weight in the form of what you carry on the ATV and what you have to turn. Putting 20# on your back rack is not the same as adding five pounds per wheel in weight.

The Ozark is a great machine. I bought one for my son years ago. I was the second, or perhaps third owner. I sold it to a friend for his wife. It is still running strong. I converted it to a push button shift. He loved it. You can see from the pictures that my son rode that for a while. He then outgrew it and acquired my Vinson. A few years later he got my KQ750.

Enjoy it.
Tire Wheel Plant Automotive tire Vehicle

Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Helmet

Wheel Cloud Plant Tire Sky

Tire Wheel Vehicle Plant Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

·
Registered
251 Posts
this what got me thinking but not this extreme lol

That would destroy all practicality that ATV has. It would not have enough power or low range gearing to attempt to pull them and would make it perform worse in mud than the stock tires.

A friend of mines nephew at one point has a Yamaha 250 Timberwolf. And as small and light weight as it was it was kinda zippy and fun for someone younger. And it would follow our 4x4's around pretty well because of it.

A friend of mine had a 2003 500 Vinson and he ran some big heavy 27" tires on it with 2" lift. It seemed to do well compared to my 300 bayou at the time and i was impressed. Then a few years later i ended up buying a brand new 2007 500 Vinson. It had the stock unimpressive tires on it and i went everywhere my friends lifted Vinson with 27's did and more. All because i had the power to actually pull them and he did not.

Wheel speed will get you though quite a bit and be much easier on your drive-line than big heavy tires. His Vinson also had all kinds of problems snapping CV shafts and wearing out tie rod ends and ball joints due to the big tires and lift kit. My Vinson never had any of the problem his Vinson had.

And thats why now that i own a new 750 KingQuad i am not going to run ridiculous tires on it. I bought a set of 26's and sent them back because of how wide and heavy they were and bought stock 25" tire size. Keeping an ATV light weight and properly geard to it's tire size is much funner than having a big slow ATV that destroys parts.

·
Super Moderator
1,047 Posts
That would destroy all practicality that ATV has. It would not have enough power or low range gearing to attempt to pull them and would make it perform worse in mud than the stock tires.

A friend of mines nephew at one point has a Yamaha 250 Timberwolf. And as small and light weight as it was it was kinda zippy and fun for someone younger. And it would follow our 4x4's around pretty well because of it.

A friend of mine had a 2003 500 Vinson and he ran some big heavy 27" tires on it with 2" lift. It seemed to do well compared to my 300 bayou at the time and i was impressed. Then a few years later i ended up buying a brand new 2007 500 Vinson. It had the stock unimpressive tires on it and i went everywhere my friends lifted Vinson with 27's did and more. All because i had the power to actually pull them and he did not.

Wheel speed will get you though quite a bit and be much easier on your drive-line than big heavy tires. His Vinson also had all kinds of problems snapping CV shafts and wearing out tie rod ends and ball joints due to the big tires and lift kit. My Vinson never had any of the problem his Vinson had.

And thats why now that i own a new 750 KingQuad i am not going to run ridiculous tires on it. I bought a set of 26's and sent them back because of how wide and heavy they were and bought stock 25" tire size. Keeping an ATV light weight and properly geard to it's tire size is much funner than having a big slow ATV that destroys parts.
Agreed. In addition, I appreciate the lower C of G afforded by stock tire sizing and a vehicle devoid of the lift kits people add to accommodate these oversized tires.

Most of us have been on trails wherein we wish our machines were lower. I know I have. I remember riding Hatfield years ago with my son and explaining to him why I never got suckered into lifting an ATV. All while I instructed him how to lean while we navigated dangerous ground.

Keep it low and ride it slow when you get into serious riding.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree 100% and glad to see you are making the right decision. The small displacement motor on the Ozark will really feel the effects of a larger and heavier tire. Larger changes your effective gear ratio and heavier is …..well, just more of a burden for the engine to turn. People don’t understand the science between adding weight in the form of what you carry on the ATV and what you have to turn. Putting 20# on your back rack is not the same as adding five pounds per wheel in weight.

The Ozark is a great machine. I bought one for my son years ago. I was the second, or perhaps third owner. I sold it to a friend for his wife. It is still running strong. I converted it to a push button shift. He loved it. You can see from the pictures that my son rode that for a while. He then outgrew it and acquired my Vinson. A few years later he got my KQ750.

Enjoy it. View attachment 22135
View attachment 22137
View attachment 22136
View attachment 22134
View attachment 22131
Yes that’s a good looking bike and wow push button shift would love to know how to do that and thanks for the info

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Yeah I’m gonna upgrade later to a 4x4 this bike I got for a steal since my daughter took my 92 Honda Trx 300 lol and I like it and you right it is fast to be a 250 and I did put some bigger tires on the 300 can’t remember the sizes right now but it does well so I was thinking about upgrading these tires not as big tho maybe a inch or two with a two inch lift and thanks for the info

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Agreed. In addition, I appreciate the lower C of G afforded by stock tire sizing and a vehicle devoid of the lift kits people add to accommodate these oversized tires.

Most of us have been on trails wherein we wish our machines were lower. I know I have. I remember riding Hatfield years ago with my son and explaining to him why I never got suckered into lifting an ATV. All while I instructed him how to lean while we navigated dangerous ground.

Keep it low and ride it slow when you get into serious riding.
Noted thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts