Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so looking for a set(4) of tires that will be good at average trail riding and pulling a DR power grader in loose gravel. I've researched several different types and brands of tires in my price range of <$300. These will be used on a 2014 Kingquad

Pretty much narrowed it down to Tusk Mudforce or ITP Mudlites. Many good reviews on both of these tires.
Any input on these two brands?

Any other suggestions that I may have overlooked?

·
Registered
525 Posts
I had a set of ITP Mudlites on my 750 Brute Force. I went 1” taller and 1” wider than stock, It made my BF more stable and added 1” more of ground clearance , without adding a whole lot more weight or needing clutch mods. They are great tires on the trail, grip very well on all types of terrain and in mud. Not good at high speed , not really smooth riding on hard pack either. I found they wore fast on pavement the odd time I had to use roads between trails and also not great in snow(imo). Did you consider Maxxis Bighorns 2.0?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you consider Maxxis Bighorns 2.0?
If only I were a rich man LoL.

Maybe after my 2018 KQ is paid for I will be able to afford tires in $500+ range

·
Registered
525 Posts
LOL! I hear ya mudbug, radials are a little more. I did not think it would be too big a gap over on your side of the border. I can get stock size ITP mud lites here for $94 CAD each and the bighorn 2.0 are $164 each. After I wear out these stock Carlisle 489, I think I’m gonna splurge and try the 2.0s.

Anyhow, I don’t think you can go wrong with the Mudlites.

·
Super Moderator
7,619 Posts
My buddy had mudlites before. Was a real good tire. He also had the mudlite XTR’s too. Those were excellent tires, though radials and probably a bit more costly. I have the original Kenda Bear Claws (K299) on my 300 KQ. Great tires in my honest opinion. Not a true radial like the newer Kenda Bear Claw HTR’s. But they certainly ride like radials. I love them. Not sure if this particular tire would be something you’d be interested in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The only thing I don't like about Kenda bear claws is that they have only 17/32" tread depth, where a lot of other tires have at least 3/4". The weight is very close to the Carlisle 489's which that machine came with, and the price is there at $250 for 4. If they work that much better than say the ITP mudlite then they could be a consideration.

·
Super Moderator
7,619 Posts
Yeah, the tread depth is a bit smaller then say the Mudlites. Still a good all around tire in my honest opinion. The Bear Claw HTR’s probably have better tread depth. Though they are radials and more expensive. Regardless, I just thought I’d mention it. Can never have too many suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL! I hear ya mudbug, radials are a little more. I did not think it would be too big a gap over on your side of the border. I can get stock size ITP mud lites here for $94 CAD each and the bighorn 2.0 are $164 each. After I wear out these stock Carlisle 489, I think I’m gonna splurge and try the 2.0s.

Anyhow, I don’t think you can go wrong with the Mudlites.
Looks like an average price for 25x10-12 mudlites in the states is a little less than $75 USD and the bighorns are right at $120 each. So the prices aren't that far off

·
Registered
525 Posts
That’s what I’m saying brother.. lol! go with the 2.0s , they will more than meet your needs and outlast the ML’s like I had.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1 inch bigger tires doesnt add 1 inch of ground clearance. It adds 1/2 that.
Just because the tire has size on the sidewall doesn't necessarily mean it measures exactly that. So if you go from a 25x10-12 to a 26x11-12 you may actually gain a full inch of ground clearance.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Just because the tire has size on the sidewall doesn't necessarily mean it measures exactly that. So if you go from a 25x10-12 to a 26x11-12 you may actually gain a full inch of ground clearance.
spot on in my case mudbug!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts