Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am due to replace the stock tires on my KQ 750! I will be using stock size, might go to a 26”. I do a lot of trail riding, some sand, some mud, some gravel. A little bit of everything! What’s the best tire to run? I want a good riding somewhat aggressive tire. What are you guys running? Pictures of your tire setups would be great! Thank you

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm running Kenda Bear Claw HTR's on my KingQuad and Rancher. Very pleased with the performance and wear.

The KQ tires are 26 inch. I took them off the Grizzly I traded in, they have 2700 miles on them. I have 25 inch tires on the Rancher, they have 1000 miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just installed 26” BigHorn 2.0 on ITP Hurricane wheels. I am very pleased. They are expensive but my 2016 KQ rides like a Cadillac down the road. I have to run about a mile of pavement to get to the trails where I live. They’re very good on any surface I’ve tried (mud, gravel, rock, etc).

I’ll upload a photo tomorrow or Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree in my KQ 500 I went to bighorn 2.0's. Great overall ride quality and great all around traction. Also went up to 26" tires.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I agree in my KQ 500 I went to bighorn 2.0's. Great overall ride quality and great all around traction. Also went up to 26" tires.
How does the 500 handle the larger and heavier tires? Did you do any clutch mods? I was thinking of putting Bighorn 3.0 on and they only go down to 26s.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The steering input is definitely heavier as I don't have power steering. But it is not bad. I have about 500 miles on them. Still drifts well in the Georgia clay. I initially put in 1.5mm of shim it was too much. I backed out to .7mm shim and it is just right.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I don’t think you can go wrong with either radial tire... BH or HTR. HTRs being a little cheaper, a little heavier but a little tougher (8ply rating).

·
Registered
6 Posts
I can’t comment on the steering difference because of power steering, but definitely am glad I decided to go 1 size up on everything.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Good choice....

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have 8 ply big Horn copy radials. I hate the radials. I find the ride on the trails is atrocious and the smooth ride is gone and with the KQ's desire to always turn the wheels hard from bump steer or more handlebar turn, it just makes it wild to handle. Pavement and flat ground they are great, but the added traction is a lot. I've decided to use my stock tires for summer and the horns for winter.

I plan to go with bear claws as I had those on another ATV and they were great.

All that being said, I put on 3500kms per year, I ride all terrain except sand. The horns get through anything, but so did my stock tires, but the bear claws were smooth and go through anything.Do you know anyone else with a KQ and radial tires? I'd suggest testing others as tires impact performance, comfort and handling a lot. Better to be happy than regret the tires you got like I do.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have 8 ply big Horn copy radials. I hate the radials. I find the ride on the trails is atrocious and the smooth ride is gone and with the KQ's desire to always turn the wheels hard from bump steer or more handlebar turn, it just makes it wild to handle. Pavement and flat ground they are great, but the added traction is a lot. I've decided to use my stock tires for summer and the horns for winter.

All that being said, I put on 3500kms per year, I ride all terrain except sand. The horns get through anything, but so did my stock tires, but the bear claws were smooth and go through anything.Do you know anyone else with a KQ and radial tires? I'd suggest testing others as tires impact performance, comfort and handling a lot. Better to be happy than regret the tires you got like I do.

So you have had the Bearclaw HTR’s or the stock Bearclaw!? So many decisions I don’t know what to go with!

·
Registered
525 Posts

What do you mean “Big Horn copy radials”? . Do you have Maxxis BH installed on your machine or a knock offs? as far I can tell the BH ATV tires are only available in 6ply. What year KQ do you have? My 2019 EPS does not exhibit the steering behavior you describe and the radials drastically improved every aspect of smoother handling and performance on all kinds of terrain over the stock bias ply tires, hands down. I did have to adjust the preload and tire pressure, did you play around with your settings? I think a radial tire construction is a big improvement on any IRS ATV vs bias ply tires.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a 2018, no PS. I haven't ridden a 2019 but I've read and been told that they are totally different than previous years. The camber on the 2018 and older KQ'S are such that bump steer can be aggressive and when you turn the handlebars aggressively at anything over 20kms it wants to naturally further push the tires into the turn. So, I find that my tires with the exact same tread as the horns, it adds too much grip to the said issue. Not so noticable with the stock tires though. If radials were best then there just wouldn't be bias tires. Which adds to my point, try things out instead of being dissapointed.

I don't subscribe to radials are a better ride. This is my experience as my KW is a much plusher ride with bias tires. Plus when going over rocky terrain the bias tires for to the rocks and help with grip as I'm getting more tire to the ground.

I also ride on fire/logging roads. With my bias tires I can rip through the bends and feel in control, swing the backend through corners fast, predictably and felling safe.

With the radials I feel safer at top speeds but there is too much grip with the horns tread pattern and I must slow down to feel safe around bends.

The horns tread patters are much better in mud and mucky water or non rocky uphill than the stock Carlisle's.

I ride with people of all ages and driving habits. So my point is you need a tire that works for you so try some out if you can. I run the bias Carlisle tires in the summer and my Traxion big Horn knock offs in the early spring, late fall and winter. Typically because I am going slower and the weather makes the tires better suited for that terrain. Plus they are great when I plow 3ft of snow

At the end of the day, of the 10 people I ride with regularly, most said they moved to radials because the ATVTV YouTube guy said so. And some of those also don't like their radials. However, others do. Which again is my point.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You’re also comparing knockoff tires to the real thing. Maybe similar in tread design, however the BH 2.0 has reduced the size of the lugs which has dramatically reduced the weight from the original BH. Also, there is no way the ride quality would be close with the knockoff tire.

For my style of riding (hard pack mostly above 25-30 mph) the radials are ideal for me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
You’re also comparing knockoff tires to the real thing. Maybe similar in tread design, however the BH 2.0 has reduced the size of the lugs which has dramatically reduced the weight from the original BH. Also, there is no way the ride quality would be close with the knockoff tire.

For my style of riding (hard pack mostly above 25-30 mph) the radials are ideal for me.

Many in my group have the BH, they aren't that different and I've ridden theirs after buying mine, should have beforehand. My only point is that the tires are a huge decision and a very personal preference, so he should take any opportunity to test ride others if possible while taking into consideration his driving style. If he likes the mud, a BH is not the best choice, if he likes Rock crawling, radials are not the best option. No ody should ever buy a tire just because someone else said they like them. That's my point.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts