Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So there you are, cruising down a trail you just found at night and you come to sharp corner! You can't see what's around there until you arrive due to the fixed fairing mounted headlights, which could be interesting if there is say a creek bank, fallen tree or perhaps even a platypus! That leaves a couple options,

A. Test the structural integrity of the front rack/brush guard on any unforeseen obstacles.
B. Let "that guy" who always tags along go first and he can careen into the unknown precipice.
C. Jerry rig a third headlight that mounts to the handlebars and will cast light around the turn before you get there!!!

Speaking from experience, I chose to employ the third option

I started by picking up an el-cheapo 9" LED light bar from Wally World, it came with angle brackets and locking stainless hardware (+1 for the Chinese company that invested $.79 into the whole thing that I dropped $30 on). Next up is how to mount it? I played around with a few different ideas from billet tubing clamps to zip-ties and duct tape and I settled on welding up a bracket to the OEM crossbar over the speedometer.

I had some slotted angle brackets laying around from another project and it turned out to be the perfect size! I milled up a two new slots to fit the included M8x1.25 hardware, then I cut some steel tubing I had to make a couple gusset braces to help the factory cross bar support the weight of the LED housing.

I've always heard a good welder doesn't need a grinder... well I guess that clears one thing up!

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Making it look less janky

After cleaning the handlebars up, sanding and degreasing I laid 3 coats of black epoxy paint to try to get close to the factory powder coated finish. Wait two days and its cured!

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trying not to drop it or gouge it up

Next is installation! Speedo and bar clamps have to come off, not too difficult. I chose to mount the light low to keep vertical clearance as close to stock as possible it made for a snug fit on the speedo cover, looks less tacky that way I think.

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Next step is wiring, after all no electrons equals no light!! The harness included with the light was decent, it had a weathertight quick disconnect included. I simply chopped the harness in half on the light side and added a pigtail on the positive wire. That was then spliced into a handlebar mounted light switch I had laying around. The switch was original equipment on one of my Japanese hare scramble bikes, matches the manual cooling fan switch I'll be installing on the other side of the handlebar pretty well! Plus the light switch is labeled and water resistant as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let there be light!

I wired the light directly to the battery so that I can use the light with the ignition switch and engine off.

It'll be nice for setting up camp after dark without having to idle the engine for 15 minutes to keep the battery from discharging.

Light is bright, works good so far. If the rain ever let's up I'll test it out!

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What's that wart on my plastics?!?

While is was in the mess and had my quad apart I went ahead and bored out a 1.125" hole in my plastics and installed a weather resistant 12v power outlet. It will be nice for inflating my camping air mattress and maybe even recharging R/C airplane batteries at the flying field. I guess I could charge my telecommunicator with it too but that's kind of why I like to ride off road so much, to get away from it all.

Anyway it has a 10 amp fuse for safety and works like a champ!

I'll be working on more, utilitarian mods in the future so I'll update you guys as I go. I love these KQ300's!!

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had the oppurtunity to ride the bike last night. The LED is awesome, doesn't cast light all that much further out than the stock lights but man does it fill in the area close in with intense light! I could easily get by with the LED alone. Some like replacing the incandescent or halogens that the bike came with in favor of all LED set ups. I prefer to leave the OEM lighting in place as it helps ease the work that the voltage regulator has to do. Very pleased with the function and form on this mod.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I like......good job and idea

·
Registered
222 Posts
Did you wire the 12v outlet straight to the battery? Does it stay on all the time or is it switched? Just curious.
Kinda funny i picked up both a weather proof 12v outlet and a third light a couple months ago. Also got water resistant inline fuse holders Just have not taken the time to install them yet.
My plan is similar with the light. But i was looking at fabing up a small bracket for my 12v outlet and welding it to the handlebars next to my speedometer. I'm going to use handlebar mounted switches to turn my lights and outlet on and off.
Also considering putting the outlet in my factory storage box. I could throw my phone inside to charge if I'm out for an extended period of time. I already throw my wallet and and key's in there so they don't fall out of my pocket in the middle of know where.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wired my 12v outlet right to the battery. I plan to use it for charging my phone, I have a RAM ball mount that will clamp to handlebars or the front luggage rack and it keeps everything nice and tidy. Another intended use for the outlet is to inflate my air mattress when I'm camping! I like having power on the outlet all the time so I don't have to energize the whole electrical system just to use the outlet for a few minutes.

I also enjoy flying RC models and I can recharge my batteries right from the quad in the field with this set up.

No reason at all that you can't switch your power outlet, but regardless, as you noted I would definitely fuse it to protect the electrical system.

I'd love to see your light and power outlet when you get them set up.

Did you wire the 12v outlet straight to the battery? Does it stay on all the time or is it switched? Just curious.
Kinda funny i picked up both a weather proof 12v outlet and a third light a couple months ago. Also got water resistant inline fuse holders Just have not taken the time to install them yet.
My plan is similar with the light. But i was looking at fabing up a small bracket for my 12v outlet and welding it to the handlebars next to my speedometer. I'm going to use handlebar mounted switches to turn my lights and outlet on and off.
Also considering putting the outlet in my factory storage box. I could throw my phone inside to charge if I'm out for an extended period of time. I already throw my wallet and and key's in there so they don't fall out of my pocket in the middle of know where.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts