Suzuki ATV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago I made a post about a 650 suzuki mystery quad that was gifted to me.. trying to identify it since Suzuki didnt make a 650. Well after multiple weeks of being a way on home for business I was about to pick it up today. I am stoked about it, this is almost identical to the quad I had as a kid and it is in fairly good shape. It is a 250 Quad Runner.

I don't know much about it. It was abandoned on one of our farm hand's properties he found it at the bottom of a hill in a ditch. He called the Sheriff, they ran the numbers and said it was never reported stolen. They took it for about a week and then brought it back to him. No one ever came forward to report it stolen so as far as they were concerned it was on his property, its now his. It sat in his barn for almost 4 years and now he has given it to me to repair.

Here is what I have discovered so far- the stock airbox is gone with an air filter over the carburator. Some of the plastic is broken and the battery cover is missing, the fuel tank has been switched to reserve and the tank is empty, the battery is missing and the back wheels appear to be locked up or in gear, there are no keys it was hotwired and the worst thing I have discovered is that the oil level indicator is empty.

I am hoping the later is not serious and perhaps the oil level is just low. Anyway here are some photos. My plans are to try to restore it as best I can.. starting with getting it running and then those oversized rear tires that are clearly far to big for the bike, replace the battery cover and the rear plastics and mudflaps. Reupholster the seat and hopefully have a good secondary farm quad. I may need some help finding information about it, can someone tell me where the VIN number is located and how to determine the exact year?

Tire Wheel Vehicle Combat vehicle Plant
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Tread
Tire Wheel Plant Automotive tire Tread
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bicycle handlebar
Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Car

·
Administrator
9,061 Posts
Yeah, that’s certainly not a 650, lol. And my lord, that’s one huge rear tire.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well some good news I hope. I poured about 2 quarts of oil into her this afternoon before the oil level rose to the correct spot on the indicator. I pulled the pull start and the engine turned over and made a little noise like it was trying to start despite having no keys in it or battery. That at least settles my fears about it being seized up. I have ordered a new battery and a new key switch should be here by next weekend. I am really hoping with a little luck that after I drain the the old gas and clean up the carb a little bit that she will fire right up with some fresh gas.

I am having trouble figuring out why the backwheels will not roll. I am pretty sure its not the brakes as you can apply them and see them moving, it feels almost as if it is in gear and won't come out. Of course right now I can't tell to much because no batter and no key = no green neutral light. As I remember with these though, clicking the foot shifter all the way down should put this quad in neutral. It's been 15 years since I have drove one of these though.

·
Administrator
9,061 Posts
Yes, if you push the shifter all the way down you’ll hit neutral. The gear shifter is a ratcheting type system. All forward gears are up on the gear shifter and down to downshift. You’ll have a total of 5 forward gears to chose from. Couple that with low and supper low range you’ll have a wide range of different options to chose from.

As for your stuck rear end. Even if your in any forward gear you should be able to at least pull quad backwards but not forward. But if your quad is indeed in neutral but the wheels won’t turn on either direction then it’s one of two things. Either your back brakes are stuck or there’s something more serious going on within the crankcase. Possibly a broken or fused gear. If your however able to hotwire the ignition system your atv can be started using the recoil starter which is located under the seat. Even without a battery the neutral light should still aluminate given you can even start the atv if the carb is not all gummed up. With a well tuned functioning carb the engine can run without a battery, though it’ll most likely run rough.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As for your stuck rear end. Even if your in any forward gear you should be able to at least pull quad backwards but not forward. But if your quad is indeed in neutral but the wheels won’t turn on either direction then it’s one of two things. Either your back brakes are stuck or there’s something more serious going on within the crankcase. Possibly a broken or fused gear. If your however able to hotwire the ignition system your atv can be started using the recoil starter which is located under the seat. Even without a battery the neutral light should still aluminate given you can even start the atv if the carb is not all gummed up. With a well tuned functioning carb the engine can run without a battery, though it’ll most likely run rough.
The rear axle is not wanting to turn at all. In forward or reverse. I am hoping that the brakes are just froze up as the rear brake handle is hard to pull back but you can see the brake arms moving. Who knows what is going on inside the drum though. Hopefully this weekend I will have a lot more time to play with it and figure it out.

·
Super Moderator
919 Posts
The rear axle is not wanting to turn at all. In forward or reverse. I am hoping that the brakes are just froze up as the rear brake handle is hard to pull back but you can see the brake arms moving. Who knows what is going on inside the drum though. Hopefully this weekend I will have a lot more time to play with it and figure it out.
Your rear axle won’t turn for a good reason. It just called me and asked me to tell you it went on strike. It won’t turn until you get those rear tires off.

Maybe the 650 number came from the HP required to get those babies rolling!

Hopefully it’s just a locked brake like you said. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
It looks like they have WAY too much air in them. Drop them down to about 6#.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so update

I got home from Des Moines today and sat down with the parts the brown Santa had delivered. I put in the new battery, the new key switch and turn it on and.. green neutral light. I hit the start button and it tried starting.. it wanted to but wouldn't. I had just filled up my nieces Arctic Cat and my King Quad so I dumped the last 2 gallons of fresh gas from my gan into its tank, took off the air filter and sprayed some starting fluid in it and boom it started, idled rough and then died billowing out white smoke. I tried that a few more times with the same result so it is apparent that the carb needs to be removed and rebuilt. It has an obvious fuel delivery system issue. I am hoping it is just a dirty carb and a dirty fuel filter.

Now that I know she will run, I am going to get that issue fixed first and then move onto the locked up rear wheels. I am hoping that now that I know she starts in neutral the problem with the rear end is just seized up brakes. This maybe a quick fix for me.

Once that happens I may start looking for replacement plastic for the rear end and the mudflaps, fix the seat and she will be good as new. I have already ordered a stock replacement airfilter box system. I am not a fan of what the previous owner had going on and the nostalgia this bike gives me, I want to return it to as stock as possible.

·
Registered
75 Posts
so update

I got home from Des Moines today and sat down with the parts the brown Santa had delivered. I put in the new battery, the new key switch and turn it on and.. green neutral light. I hit the start button and it tried starting.. it wanted to but wouldn't. I had just filled up my nieces Arctic Cat and my King Quad so I dumped the last 2 gallons of fresh gas from my gan into its tank, took off the air filter and sprayed some starting fluid in it and boom it started, idled rough and then died billowing out white smoke. I tried that a few more times with the same result so it is apparent that the carb needs to be removed and rebuilt. It has an obvious fuel delivery system issue. I am hoping it is just a dirty carb and a dirty fuel filter.

Now that I know she will run, I am going to get that issue fixed first and then move onto the locked up rear wheels. I am hoping that now that I know she starts in neutral the problem with the rear end is just seized up brakes. This maybe a quick fix for me.

Once that happens I may start looking for replacement plastic for the rear end and the mudflaps, fix the seat and she will be good as new. I have already ordered a stock replacement airfilter box system. I am not a fan of what the previous owner had going on and the nostalgia this bike gives me, I want to return it to as stock as possible.
I recommend checking the valves.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well I didn't get to work on it much over the past weekend. I ordered a bunch of small parts that I know need replaced .. oil filter, gaskets, o-rings, fuel petcock, fuel vacuum pumps, fuel line, carb rebuilt kit, new choke cable, the plunger assembly for said choke cable.. not all of them had came in for me to really dig in. I guess I am going to have to take off the front rack and plastic and see what all is going on under the hood so to speak. Not all of the cables and lines were hooked up when I took the carb out. I did take it and clean it up and install a rebuild kit. It had a lot of issues on the inside. Someome had screwed up the pilot jet trying to remove it. I had to drill down into it and pull it out with an extractor. They had all put that fuel control screw or whatever you call it all the way down.... so I backed it out 2 7/8 turns as I read online. That also explains why it wouldn't idle correctly.

Anyway here are some photos of the freshly rebuild carb all cleaned up. If someone could tell me what the connections my three fingers are next to in the one photo... it would be extremely helpful. Also could a moderator rename this thread Coyote's 1997 Quad Runner restore and move it to an appropriate section? I don't want to clog up the forums by starting a new thread on this bike.
Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Nut Engineering
Finger Gas Personal protective equipment Machine Audio equipment
Finger Gas Thumb Wire Electrical wiring

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got home this weekend and got the carb installed as well as the new choke cable and ran fresh gas through it. The smoking continues and I am noticing a liquid around the head as well as oil coming from the exhaust. I am just going to go ahead next weekend and start breaking down the head for a top end rebuild. I am not looking forward to it but.. I don't want to keep wasting my time beating around the bush.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so update...

I was browsing facebook market place and came across an identical bike, same year to this one. They guy wanted a couple hundred for it... it had not ran in a year or so but it was in relatively good shape, other than the seat and a broken spot on the plastic. It had been stolen as well but recovered by the police a few months earlier. The theives had done some damange to the electrical system hot wiring it up they had also completely cut out the carb, throttle cable, choke cable and everything they just cut it off at the carb. I brought her home figuring I could at least use the parts to get one of them going and then figure out what I am going to do with the other.

It took me an afternoon but I fixed the wiring issues, got her to turn over but not start. Compression test quickly told me that I had was getting 0 compression. A buddy of mine went over it for me and determined this one has a stuck intake valve so.... I guess I am not getting around doing my first top end rebuild. I have ordered all the parts I needed and a few tools to make the job easier. I am hoping I can really dig into this over the long holiday break and get it running depending on when the parts get in. I will post updates when I can.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts