Suzuki ATV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess Texas just started allowing ATV's on public roads (09/21 I think), with a few obvious restrictions. I went & got a plate for $14.75 & will test the waters tomorrow. This is crazy to me, but the tax office didn't ask any questions, so I'm assuming they've given several of these already. The state is treating 4 wheelers like side by sides now. I always thought it was weird that I could ride my dual sport bikes on the road, but not my atvs. I'll probably get some mirrors and maybe a plate bracket if it's even a thing.
I'll post photos of either my arrest or me riding an atvs on the street, legally for the first time in 30 years.
Vehicle registration plate Motor vehicle Rectangle Automotive exterior Bumper

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
this is cool - I know we can operate in neighborhoods with speed limits under 35 I think? what does this allow us if we are plated?
Apparently, you have to have a plate to ride regardless if you ride on a public road in Texas. <35 mph, master planned communities, daylight hours only & headlights seem to be the only restrictions. I spoke to a couple of cops in the neighborhood & they didn't believe it either. I'll be driving around with a print out of the Texas penal code for a while I guess.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I made it today without any problems with LEO. 2 Of them looked at me and were confused as to why I wasn't running away. They figured it was okay because of my openness I guess. I did get a giant piece of metal rebar in my tire. Had to plug it. Plugs dry out, so I used my cement glue with it. Hope it holds up?
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design Gas
Automotive tire Tire Bumper Automotive exterior Tread

·
Administrator
9,429 Posts
Couldn’t of lucked out and got that piece of rebar in one of your tire lugs. I found a nail embedded in the side of my lugs on my 300 KQ. Was lucky enough that it hit the bottom of the lug at a angle and didn’t puncture the tire. So I as able to pull the nail out of the lug with no leak fortunately.

·
Registered
2019 LT-A400F
60 Posts
yeah I gotta get this now lol
Been looking at the rules and allegedly I can ride on non-highway roads with posted speeds below 35....which means park roads...without the park rangers going bananas on me.

WIN

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah I gotta get this now lol
Been looking at the rules and allegedly I can ride on non-highway roads with posted speeds below 35....which means park roads...without the park rangers going bananas on me.

WIN
I'd double check this. Those rangers give huge tickets & seize peoples rigs all the time. Print the penal code & speak with the ranger first. National parks are different; not sure about state parks. The tickets are ridiculous.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wonder if I can get a plate for my 3 wheeler (just restored it). Texas law defines an atvs with 3 or more tires, less than 50" wide and designed for recreation (not landscaping or farming), so this should qualify to be street legal I guess? It's horrible on the sticky street due to the solid rear end & having no weight on the front tires, it doesn't want to turn. No title, just a certificate from 1985. I'm trying it tomorrow!
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Tread
Tire Wheel Vehicle Tread Automotive lighting

·
Administrator
9,429 Posts
Three wheelers in the Ontario Canada region are banned from any street use, or general trail ridding other then your own property. Not many insurance companies will actually insure them because they are more dangerous than 4 wheelers. There are however a few insurance companies that will insure them. But not cheaply. I was told it’s pretty expensive.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think it was $25/year for my last 3 wheeler (1985 Honda 200X). But to be honest, I don't think insurance is required because the tax office didn't ask for anything other than the title when they gave me a license plate for the quad. It never was an issue in the US due to the fact that most places are illegal to drive ohvs.
One cop did give me the stink eye yesterday, but didn't pull me over. Still driving around with a copy of the law.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts