Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2018 Suzuki King Quad 750 EPS and a new 2021 Yamaha Kodiak 700. I’ve had them long enough to give my opinion, specifically in the new Yamaha. I ride every day. Both are similar in power, torque, speed, etc. based on my rising habits: working on farm, towing trailers, riding trails, climbing, mud. I do need to swap the handle bars out on the Yamaha - need risers so I won’t count that as a negative. However, there are two critical issues with the Yamaha that make me choose the KQ almost every time. First, the Yamaha does not have as good of a turning radius. There are places on my trails where I have to stop and back up. I don’t have to do this on my KQ. Also, the plastic sides (where your legs touch) gets super hot, especially on the left side nearest the exhaust. It gets so hot that I have to be really careful when riding my one year old granddaughter. This is not an issue on the KQ.
I am not sure if the Grizzly is set up the same, or if I’d have the same complaints with it. The Kodiak was $1000 bucks less with same engine. I’m not paying a grand for LED light and a couple of other minor upgrades. Anyway, I like them both. They are very capable ATVs but the two advantages the KQ has are really important to me and the way I use it. I do like the gear shifter better on the Yamaha. Easier to get to the gear you need. My opinion only.

·
Super Moderator
519 Posts
I have 2018 Suzuki King Quad 750 EPS and a new 2021 Yamaha Kodiak 700. I’ve had them long enough to give my opinion, specifically in the new Yamaha. I ride every day. Both are similar in power, torque, speed, etc. based on my rising habits: working on farm, towing trailers, riding trails, climbing, mud. I do need to swap the handle bars out on the Yamaha - need risers so I won’t count that as a negative. However, there are two critical issues with the Yamaha that make me choose the KQ almost every time. First, the Yamaha does not have as good of a turning radius. There are places on my trails where I have to stop and back up. I don’t have to do this on my KQ. Also, the plastic sides (where your legs touch) gets super hot, especially on the left side nearest the exhaust. It gets so hot that I have to be really careful when riding my one year old granddaughter. This is not an issue on the KQ.
I am not sure if the Grizzly is set up the same, or if I’d have the same complaints with it. The Kodiak was $1000 bucks less with same engine. I’m not paying a grand for LED light and a couple of other minor upgrades. Anyway, I like them both. They are very capable ATVs but the two advantages the KQ has are really important to me and the way I use it. I do like the gear shifter better on the Yamaha. Easier to get to the gear you need. My opinion only.

Thanks for that info. Someone browsing who is torn between models may find your post informative and helpful in the decision process.

Have you taken a look at the area on the Kodiak’s plastic where the heat is prominent ? I am curious if there was a heat insulator left off during the build. Perhaps a call to the dealer and a look underneath might confirm this. Some machines have a reflective piece of what looks like aluminum foil attached to the underside of the plastic in the vicinity of a heat source such as the exhaust.

·
Registered
324 Posts
However, there are two critical issues with the Yamaha that make me choose the KQ almost every time. First, the Yamaha does not have as good of a turning radius. There are places on my trails where I have to stop and back up. I don’t have to do this on my KQ. Also, the plastic sides (where your legs touch) gets super hot, especially on the left side nearest the exhaust. It gets so hot that I have to be really careful when riding my one year old granddaughter. This is not an issue on the KQ. I am not sure if the Grizzly is set up the same, or if I’d have the same complaints with it.
I had a 2016 Grizzly prior to the KinqQuad and the heat the Yamaha gives off is no joke. I also find the fit and finish on the Yamaha quads have gone down hill, one spot that always bugged me was the rear storage box. I've seen better fit on lunchboxes at the dollar store, but did like the additional storage the Grizzly had over the KingQuad. Regarding your issues with heat and turning radius, the Grizzly is about the same as far as heat however the turning radius on the grizzly is worse.

Have you taken a look at the area on the Kodiak’s plastic where the heat is prominent ? I am curious if there was a heat insulator left off during the build.
Its normal for the 700 Grizzly/Kodiak quads, they all run quite hot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that info. Someone browsing who is torn between models may find your post informative and helpful in the decision process.

Have you taken a look at the area on the Kodiak’s plastic where the heat is prominent ? I am curious if there was a heat insulator left off during the build. Perhaps a call to the dealer and a look underneath might confirm this. Some machines have a reflective piece of what looks like aluminum foil attached to the underside of the plastic in the vicinity of a heat source such as the exhaust.
I’ll check the reflective heat shield and update my comments.

·
Registered
1998 Quadrunner 500, 2003 Vinson 500, 2007 King Quad 450, 2012 King Quad 750, 2009 Grizzly 700
100 Posts
I have a 2009 Yamaha Grizzly 700 and a 2012 Suzuki King Quad 750 and I can also confirm that the Yamaha runs hot. Also the Yamaha is difficult to shift into low. Also battery placement on the Yamaha is terrible, Its underneath the front rack and some plastic. On the king Quad it's right under the seat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes! You are 100% right. That is something that I noticed but didn’t put in my original post. I remember thinking that I would have to find an adapter for my sprayer (I use the KQ to spray fields) to fit the 12v because the battery was not accessible. Add another thing to the list.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an '09 Kingquad 750 and my buddy has a 2021 Grizzly. We've been out riding a few times together recently and his Grizzly runs a lot hotter than my Kingquad. I rarely ever hear my fan come on when we are riding together but his seems to be always on. He's also had 3 or 4 times where his Grizzly will not start until it has cooled down a bit. I've also noticed that my Kingquad has a noticeably smaller turning radius.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I've come to find that the 750 KingQuad is one of the coolest running big bore quads out there, I have friends who ride various Polaris, Can-Ams and Yamaha comment on just how little heat you feel around your legs even after long rides.

Reactions: LHF2018
1 - 8 of 8 Posts