Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2000 King Quad 300 4x4 1987 Quadrunner 250 4x4
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this quad for about 2 months now, when I first bought it, it didn't start because the fuel lines/fuel pump/ and carb was clogged with white stuff which I presume is old dry gas. I cleaned that up and it was running decent, no matter how much I messed with the idle to get it in the right spot it would always die at idle after a few seconds and that was the only thing that seemed wrong with it. It was running fine for 3 days, and on the fourth day it was hard to start and it was sputtering and shutting off at low rpms, I didn't think much of it then the fifth day it wouldn't start at all, not even bump starting or using starter fluid. The gas is brand new, same for the oil and oil filter. I have no clue what's wrong with it, but the other day I did notice something that goes into the trans was loose, so possibly dirt and mud got up into the trans because I did go mudding on the fourth day so mud could've gotten up in there. I think it was for the speedometer because when I got it, it never worked so that might be why?

·
Super Moderator
8,056 Posts
What kind of carb is on the bike currently..? OEM, aftermarket, or cheap Chinese knock off..? If OEM, buy yourself a carb rebuild kit and thoroughly clean the carb then install the kit. If your running anything else other the a OEM carb, then that definitely won’t help matters as these atvs don’t run right on aftermarket or cheap Chinese knock off carbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What kind of carb is on the bike currently..? OEM, aftermarket, or cheap Chinese knock off..? If OEM, buy yourself a carb rebuild kit and thoroughly clean the carb then install the kit. If your running anything else other the a OEM carb, then that definitely won’t help matters as these atvs don’t run right on aftermarket or cheap Chinese knock off carbs.

I'm running the stock carb i'm pretty sure.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also do you know where I should get one?

·
Super Moderator
8,056 Posts
If you have a stock carb then I suggest you rebuild it. As for a carb kit. Look up Shindy. They make good quality rebuild kits.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you have a stock carb then I suggest you rebuild it. As for a carb kit. Look up Shindy. They make good quality rebuild kits.

Also when I was bump starting it, it was burning fuel and the engine was warming up a lot

·
Super Moderator
8,056 Posts
The carb kit you listed doesn’t show what model it’s for. Only says 03-206. Thought it would of given more specifics as to what models it is good for. Unless I’m missing something.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The carb kit you listed doesn’t show what model it’s for. Only says 03-206. Thought it would of given more specifics as to what models it is good for. Unless I’m missing something.

It had an option to see if it fits with it and I put all the specs in and it said it does

·
Super Moderator
8,056 Posts
Then it should work if it says if does.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Then it should work if it says if does.

Also i'm probably going to make a new forum for this one but the front brakes don't work on the quad. The handle is really loose and when I pump it I check and it does pump the brake fluid just it doesn't work.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Start with the basics. You need fuel, spark, and timing.
Put in a new plug & gap it correctly. Drain the fuel tank and clean the screen on the tank valve.
Put in an in-line fuel filter. Fill with good new gas.
Tear down the carb and clean it thoroughly with some good carb cleaner like Berryman's B12 & blow it out with compressed air.

Check your valve clearance especially on the intake side.
Check the rubber carb to intake mount for air (vacuum) leaks.
Clean the air filter and if everything is set right you should be good.

I've had this quad for about 2 months now, when I first bought it, it didn't start because the fuel lines/fuel pump/ and carb was clogged with white stuff which I presume is old dry gas. I cleaned that up and it was running decent, no matter how much I messed with the idle to get it in the right spot it would always die at idle after a few seconds and that was the only thing that seemed wrong with it. It was running fine for 3 days, and on the fourth day it was hard to start and it was sputtering and shutting off at low rpms, I didn't think much of it then the fifth day it wouldn't start at all, not even bump starting or using starter fluid. The gas is brand new, same for the oil and oil filter. I have no clue what's wrong with it, but the other day I did notice something that goes into the trans was loose, so possibly dirt and mud got up into the trans because I did go mudding on the fourth day so mud could've gotten up in there. I think it was for the speedometer because when I got it, it never worked so that might be why?

·
Registered
9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Have you replaced the spark plug? That helped mine a lot.
Start with the basics. You need fuel, spark, and timing.
Put in a new plug & gap it correctly. Drain the fuel tank and clean the screen on the tank valve.
Put in an in-line fuel filter. Fill with good new gas.
Tear down the carb and clean it thoroughly with some good carb cleaner like Berryman's B12 & blow it out with compressed air.

Check your valve clearance especially on the intake side.
Check the rubber carb to intake mount for air (vacuum) leaks.
Clean the air filter and if everything is set right you should be good.
How would I gap the spark plug?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts