Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Needing help with starting system of a Suzuki 160.

The lt160 I bought will not start with the push button start on the handlebar. It doesn't click or do anything. Neutral light and reverse light do not light up on the "dash". Key turns headlight on. I can jump the starter solenoid with a screw driver and it fires right up. I have tried grounding the neutral switch wire and it doesn't change anything. I feel like maybe the neutral relay isn't getting power or the bulbs are burnt out for neutral and reverse. I bench tested the relay and start button and they work.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Needing help with starting system of a Suzuki 160.

The lt160 I bought will not start with the push button start on the handlebar. It doesn't click or do anything. Neutral light and reverse light do not light up on the "dash". Key turns headlight on. I can jump the starter solenoid with a screw driver and it fires right up. I have tried grounding the neutral switch wire and it doesn't change anything. I feel like maybe the neutral relay isn't getting power or the bulbs are burnt out for neutral and reverse. I bench tested the relay and start button and they work.
Could be the starter switch on the handle bar? I would’ve suggested the neutral switch relay and grounding it first but it seems you’ve already covered it. If it was the solenoid it would probably be clicking.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured it out. ended up being a bad starter solenoid that would just click and the neutral safety switch was bad. I just jumped the neutral switch to ground all the time.

·
Super Moderator
8,354 Posts
Glad you got it all sorted out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I had jumped the neutral switch before and it had just clicked so I thought something else was wrong. I was able to jump the starter solenoid which I thought meant it was good. Turns out I was wrong and the internals can be so corroded that it doesn't function. That was the case here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts