Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our ATV will only start and stay running when it is jumped. New battery fully charged nothing even lights up. What could the issue be?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Sounds like the new battery has a problem. So it will not stay running once the jumper cables are removed? If so, it sure sounds like the battery is shot.

But at least check the connections and make sure those are clean and tight.

if the new battery will not turn on the headlights, the terminals are good and the batter is fresh off the charger, it’s just about got to be the battery.

I don’t think it could be a fuse, otherwise jumping it wouldn’t work either.

Good Luck. Let us know what you figure out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
An important part I left out is the fact that it started when I first put the battery in. When I went to put the seat on I had forgotten to put the main wires to the side of the bar that holds the battery in and the wires got pinched between the seat in the bar and cut into them a little bit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
I'd say start with repairing the cut wires. Not really sure why it would run when hook to a jumper cable if it was the wires, unless the wire has too much resistance without the jumper helping the battery.

Sometimes the battery cables can get corrosion inside of them, it works it was up from the battery terminal and can cause issues with high resistance, which could explain the problem. The corrosion will be a white and/or blue powder like material on the copper wire, inside of the insulation (plastic sheath). When you repair the cuts in the insulation, expose some of the wire, ideally it will be a nice bright copper color with no corrosion,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Just a suggestion It may be that your voltage regulator is bad. When mine went bad I couldn't get it started unless I pull started it and it backfired like crazy. Another thing to look at is you may have blown a fuse when the wire got pinched it could have grounded out and caused that to happen
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top