Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently traded for a Suzuki Eiger 400 4x4 auto. It will not crank, I removed the spark plug to check spark and am getting good fire, I removed the drain screw from the fuel bowl and the fuel runs freely??????? ANY IDEAS? The guy I got it from says he was having this problem so he rebuilt and cleaned the carb recently and it seemed to have no change.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok, first, check all hoses from your air box, make sure there secure and air tight. Second, are the jets, especially the idle jet, clear?, it happens, why? I don't know, it happended to me. Your mixture screw is sealed on an eiger, if not, a problem, check it 2 1/4 turns out from soft bottom( which means turn it clockwise until it seats,not too much just until you feel resistance, then turn counterclockwise 2 1/4 turns, depending on altitude, this will give you a starting point) if still capped of, leave it alone, not your problem. Now, competely replace all fuel in the system, with good unleaded fuel fresh from the gas station, in a clean or new gas can, no exeptions! If still no result, check valve timing and valve clearance, very important, people overlook the obvious. Next step is the choke cable, fuel filter, and vent lines. I know this sound like alot but it's not. Buy a service manual! Start with these and let me know where you are. Compression could be it, it was with mine, but it still ran. You have to eleminate the other options that I listed. Check compression, if bad, well get ready to replace the top end, do it yourself if able, around $800 if done properley, NO SHORTCUTS!!! You've got a great bike that will last for a long time, don't short change yourself with shortcut!!!!

·
Banned
5 Posts
The part # for the Suzuki shop manual for the LTR450 is 99500-44061-03E. You guys that dont have one & want to work on your own bikes, BUY ONE Ray.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Regarding service manual for eiger 400 ,I have suzuki vzr1800 street bike and am on a forum for that bike,a member there posted a service manual you could down load free, does anyone here have that capability?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Suzuki quad eiger

you seem to know a fair bit about eiger any idea on how to fix starter motor that does not engage. Is the suzuki eiger the same motor as a drz 400 as I have a starter motor and parts anyone know as I thing the gear that engages the starter is stuffed. also can you get new plastics for this bike at reasonable price? Any help appreciated as sick of pull starting bike

Ok, first, check all hoses from your air box, make sure there secure and air tight. Second, are the jets, especially the idle jet, clear?, it happens, why? I don't know, it happended to me. Your mixture screw is sealed on an eiger, if not, a problem, check it 2 1/4 turns out from soft bottom( which means turn it clockwise until it seats,not too much just until you feel resistance, then turn counterclockwise 2 1/4 turns, depending on altitude, this will give you a starting point) if still capped of, leave it alone, not your problem. Now, competely replace all fuel in the system, with good unleaded fuel fresh from the gas station, in a clean or new gas can, no exeptions! If still no result, check valve timing and valve clearance, very important, people overlook the obvious. Next step is the choke cable, fuel filter, and vent lines. I know this sound like alot but it's not. Buy a service manual! Start with these and let me know where you are. Compression could be it, it was with mine, but it still ran. You have to eleminate the other options that I listed. Check compression, if bad, well get ready to replace the top end, do it yourself if able, around $800 if done properley, NO SHORTCUTS!!! You've got a great bike that will last for a long time, don't short change yourself with shortcut!!!!

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Is the starter turning,if so your starter clutch may be bad,on the plastics about 600.00 bucks through the dealer is about the best you can do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts