Suzuki ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I have a 2002 Suzuki eiger 400 that clicks but won’t start. it has a new battery, new neutral switch relay, new starter solenoid, new starter motor, and all fuses are good. I bench tested the new starter and it spins fine with a known good battery with 220 cold cranking amps. Battery is definitely good and recently charged. I wire brushed all the connections from the battery terminals starter solenoid terminals and starter motor terminals. The wires going to the starter get 12 V when disconnected from starter, but only read 5 V when connected to the starter post when clicking the button. I’ve tried jumping the solenoid with no luck, and also connecting a battery straight to the starter but it still only clicks and tries to spin over. I tried the trick where you press the starter button with the headlights on and on mine, the headlights dim very low but do not shut off. The four wheeler has good spark and starts just fine with the pull start. If anyone knows what else I can try that would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Sounds like the one way clutch or similar after the starter is broken. Have you pulled the started out of the machine and left it connected and pushed the button to see if it still spins? Assuming that you don't have the wiring backwards anywhere and it's trying to turn over the wrong way, it sounds like something mechanical has failed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like the one way clutch or similar after the starter is broken. Have you pulled the started out of the machine and left it connected and pushed the button to see if it still spins? Assuming that you don't have the wiring backwards anywhere and it's trying to turn over the wrong way, it sounds like something mechanical has failed.
Thanks for the quick response. I’ll try pulling the starter out and hitting the button today. Is 5v at the starter enough? And why would I be losing so much voltage from the 12v at the battery to the 5v at the starter? When I hit the button the battery also drops to around 8 volts and I’ve seen somewhere it’s supposed to drop much lower than that. I traced the ground wire back from the starter to the negative terminal on the battery so I know the wires aren’t backwards. Do you know of a way to test the one way clutch? I can see that you have to take the whole side cover of the engine off to do it. Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update: I took the left side engine cover off and looked at the one way clutch on the flywheel and all was well and working. A couple gears fell off when the cover came off but I got them all back on. Since nothing was wrong, I decided so put it back together and hope for the best. And with the spark plug out, it turned it over. I think what happened was there was just a mechanical binding inside there because it had been sitting there for 10 years without running. This is a major improvement as it never did that before and just clicked. This is as far as I have gotten because the new gasket will be here in 3 days. I will update with more news later.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: I got the starter working by taking the cover off and I guess just putting it back on. I think there was some kind of mechanical jam/binding that was holding things up after a couple of revolutions but it works now. I falsely accused a bad starter at first which actually wasn’t the case and the new starter I ordered seemed to be causing jamming problems when I installed it. This eiger sat for almost 10 years with reasonably milky oil so maybe that just wasn’t enough to lubricate it? Anyway it’s fixed and I hope this could help someone else. Also thank you to Marado and ITWarrior for the ideas.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts