Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning

Can anyone tell me what the expected cdi exciter coil voltage should be on cranking over with the starter motor. 1997 bearcat quad with Suzuki 454 single 4stroke

I am only getting a couple of volts Peak to Peak.(open cicuit or with dummy load(6 volt light bulb) or with cdi pugged in)

This seems very low.

I have measured the coils resistance , it's 2 ohms. (no leakage or resistance to ground)

I've removed the stator and visually inspected it,(looks fine,no burnt wires or broken insulation).

would it be safe to test the cdi using the coils that go to the voltage regulator (3 phase ) take the output across 2 of them (it's a bit higher at 7 volts), run this into the cdi power input. (just for a quick test).

It does not feel or look like there is a fault with the exciter coil but the ouput voltage seems very low to me. Am I missing a trick here, for example no exciter coil output due to lack of mutual inductance with voltage regulator coils or some such thing.

Or maybe the CDI is designed to work with only 2volt AC input and there is a fault down stream of the exciter

thanks all

David Hills

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Stator going back in this weekend

Hi

I am putting the stator back in this weekend.

Still no wiser as to the problem.

The exciter stator is just one winding out of the 20 odd on the stator plate.
the others are wired in a group of three is series. (giving the 3 phase ac output for the volatge regulator)

I am not at all surprised the output is so low. there is only about 80 turns of 1 mm wire on this single former.

Unless the perminent magnets are knackered in the flywheel , I can not see that its not working as designed. 2volt peak to peak is normal at cranking speed!

Any ideas please

thanks

David

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fixed it

Hi

Fixed it.

The kill switch circuit for the CDI unit runs on +12volts on and Zero volts off.

Not as, open cicuit on , to ground off.

Got a good spark now, so the low stator(2v p2p) voltage is normal!!

Anyone know how the choke on these arctic cat (bear cat 1997 4x2)quad 454's work?

the choke cable screws into the side of the carb but the cable nipple does not attach to anything. it's like there is a small piston missing or something.

thanks all

David

1 - 4 of 4 Posts