Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to change oil on my 97 quadrunner. Drained oil just fine, but went to take off oil filter cap and the one of the three nuts was stuck on. Got it off after an hour of huffing and puffing. Changed out filter, put cap back on, put two nuts on, but the last one didnt go on right. Started the engine, and immedietly oil started leaking out the oil filter cover. Shut it off and tried to fix, with no avail. I did notice that there is a gasket and a spring missing. Ordered all parts i could ever need for it off partzilla, and am waiting for them to arrive. If the stud is stripped, not the nut, how would i replace it? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
7,700 Posts
I believe you can get just the studs. When I did an oil change on my 300 KQ that happened to me once. One stud came out with the nut still on. I put two small pieces of fuel line on the ends of my needle nose pliers so not to damage the threads then held the stud with the pliers and took the nut off. I then put medium strength Loctite on the end on one side of the stud that screws into the case then put the nut back on snug. I then put the stud back in and let it sit for about 20 minutes. Then I put everything back together and all was good. And yeah, if your missing that spring and any oil ring behind the oil filter cover you’ll have leaks.

Here, look at the following parts diagram from Mr Cycles I listed. Part# 21 within the parts diagram is what you’d need. It is called “Stud Bolt” within the parts fiche. You can probably get the caps as well which I’d recommend getting with whatever studs you replace. You’ll note that the link I provided is from a ‘00 model KQ. But it’ll be the same for your year KQ. (https://www.mrcycles.com/oemparts/a/suz/50d0a5daf870022c2c534c54/oil-pump-fuel-pump)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
7,700 Posts
My stud just came out by accident when I tried to take the nut off during an oil change. My guess is I probably over tightened the one nut to much the last time causing the stud to come out with it. To take out the damaged stud(s) just grab them sideways with a pair of lock pliers (Vice Grips) then back them out slowly a bit at a time.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I had one unscrew. I just put it back in with loctite. The threads were messed up on the tip of the stud that came out on mine. Looked like previous owner cross threaded it. I cleaned it up and used new nuts.

If your removing or installing a screw in stud you can double nut it. Put two nuts on and tighten them against each other. Put a wrench on inner one to unscrew or outer to screw in. If the threads are real bad I'd try visegrips.

Just don't over tighten the new studs. The case is aluminum and will strip easier than the steel studs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The best way to replace a stud is to double nut it. Thread two nuts on the end of the stud and lock them together. Loosen the stud by turning the lowest nut counter clockwise. Put the new stud in in the reverse order tightening the outermost nut clockwise.

Went to change oil on my 97 quadrunner. Drained oil just fine, but went to take off oil filter cap and the one of the three nuts was stuck on. Got it off after an hour of huffing and puffing. Changed out filter, put cap back on, put two nuts on, but the last one didnt go on right. Started the engine, and immedietly oil started leaking out the oil filter cover. Shut it off and tried to fix, with no avail. I did notice that there is a gasket and a spring missing. Ordered all parts i could ever need for it off partzilla, and am waiting for them to arrive. If the stud is stripped, not the nut, how would i replace it? Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got the stud off just with vice grips. The new stud will arrive in the mail tomorrow and I will be all set. Thanks for everyone's advice

·
Registered
566 Posts
Nice ! Now that you have the stud out, clean the threads if you can , use a tap if you have one. Like 440Tim, I would use loctite(red) when putting the stud back in the area your talking about.

·
Super Moderator
7,700 Posts
I’m highly recommend not utilizing red Loctite. You need to consider that if by chance the studs get damaged again, utilizing “Permanent” thread sealer will just make things worse if you need to remove them. I would recommend utilizing blue Loctite. One of it’s suggested applications is on small engines. It’s designed to withstand vibrations but allow you to remove fasteners etc if needed. I utilized the blue Loctite on mine with no issues.

·
Super Moderator
7,700 Posts
I got the stud off just with vice grips. The new stud will arrive in the mail tomorrow and I will be all set. Thanks for everyone's advice.
Good to hear the Vice Grips worked. I actually learnt that from a Suzuki GS500 video on YouTube. Same style studs pretty much.
(
)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Super Moderator
7,700 Posts
Good to hear. Even if you don’t use anything you should be ok. The stud(s) are designed to be removed if damaged. The ones that came with the bike shouldn’t have any thread sealer on them. The stud that came out of mine didn’t. If you do use some type of thread sealer make sure it’s “ not the permanent” kind.

·
Registered
222 Posts
That's good advice AJ.

I neglected to mention what type of loctite i used when i did mine. It was blue.

I think the only reason mine came loose was the damage to the threads.

The factory put mine in dry. I only used the loctite to keep it from coming loose as easily next time. Definitely wouldn't use anything I'd have to much trouble removing later.

I Have had good luck using heat to remove parts that had red loctite in the past though.

·
Super Moderator
7,700 Posts
That’s good to know about the heat to help remove things with red Loctite 440Tim. That’s great info I may need to use one day.

·
Super Moderator
7,700 Posts
Glad we could help. And also good to hear all is good now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts