Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I shift my quad , it is REALLY stiff. It was never like this, but quickly got worse to where I can only shift it by reaching down woth my hand. My foot doesn't have the strength. Very stiff. Anyone know why this has happened? If there a lube or oil needed? I put pb blaster around the junctions of the shifter pedal parts...but no help.
Anyone know what's goin on here? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Had the same problem with my 2000 quadrunner 250 4x4 right before my clutch went out no amount of ajusting helped i changed the clutch out adjusted everything properly and have not had a problem since

·
Registered
229 Posts
I also removed the shifter and greased the bushing its one pin holding the shift linkage on and one bolt through the pedal then you can press out the bushing its steel with an O ring on either end clean it and grease it and reinstall only takes a few minutes

·
Registered
2 Posts
It seems unlikely that it could be the rubber oil seal. But thise are cheap and should be replaced if you start to tear into it so go ahead and order one and pull the old one then test shifting with it out. Before you do that, will it shift when not running? Do you know the condition of the transmission oil? Does the clutch handle feel normal? My bet is that there is an issue with the clutch but it could be worn shifting forks inside the transmission. You'll know if it is that bad once you remove the clutch cover and inspect the clutch. Many parts inside the clutch area can wear out and that area is going to be cheapest to repair so start on the outside and work in. With the clutch out see if it will shift. If you have to pull the transmission apart beyond the clutch it is a easy but costly job. I just rebuilt my 1985 QuadRacer: all new internal bearings tranny and engine, seals, rebuilt crank, 0.030 over and so on. Hope you don’t have to go that far. However if it gets that bad start pricing out parts before you tear it down. If you choose not to rebuild it due to cost the next owner is not going to want a pile of parts where stuff might be missing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts