Suzuki ATV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 03 LTF250 and the starter button isn’t working properly. I took it apart and tested the wires and it’s seems like the fuse in between the orange and white wire leading to the button has gone out. My question is can I just bypass it and just solder the wire to the button. Thanks any info will be appreciated
Gas Wood Auto part Font Automotive tire
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Gas
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Gas

·
Super Moderator
968 Posts
I have a 03 LTF250 and the starter button isn’t working properly. I took it apart and tested the wires and it’s seems like the fuse in between the orange and white wire leading to the button has gone out. My question is can I just bypass it and just solder the wire to the button. Thanks any info will be appreciated

Welcome to the forum.

A fuse is a protective device. It is there to serve a purpose. Generally speaking, I don’t recommend defeating a fuse. If you want to briefly bypass it for the purpose of diagnosing the problem, that’s another story. I would clean that switch up, check for bare wires, shorts , or other issues and get things back in stock condition.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the forum.

A fuse is a protective device. It is there to serve a purpose. Generally speaking, I don’t recommend defeating a fuse. If you want to briefly bypass it for the purpose of diagnosing the problem, that’s another story. I would clean that switch up, check for bare wires, shorts , or other issues and get things back in stock condition.
Ok thanks a lot

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to the forum.

thanks so much for your help i did everything you said to do and not do lol. but i checked everything again and nothing im sure its the fuse i tested it after i took it off and it didnt give me a read so i went aganist your wishes and came up with this i put those washers in the to hold the push button and it seems to me working great . i push the button she fire right up. this is only temporary for like a week or so but once again thanks very much appreciated
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Tread Gas

·
Super Moderator
968 Posts
thanks so much for your help i did everything you said to do and not do lol. but i checked everything again and nothing im sure its the fuse i tested it after i took it off and it didnt give me a read so i went aganist your wishes and came up with this i put those washers in the to hold the push button and it seems to me working great . i push the button she fire right up. this is only temporary for like a week or so but once again thanks very much appreciated
Perhaps you can determine the amps of the fuse you bypassed and use a piece fusible link to replace it instead of that wire.

Glad you are operational for now.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Great. My thoughts those are diodes that reduce the amount of amps that flow threw the switch. And will burn it out eventually. Don't hold it down for very long.
I also suspect that the wire on your starter motor is corroded or not making a good contact or good ground. Clean them up. And don't forget that body ground to the battery where the battery ground hooks to the frame. Diodes don't go bad, a resistor made from clay if memory serves. Where the orange wires come together looks like a water tight connector. The points can become corroded in the switch. Try cleaning everything up , remove the jumper or one end. Then try starter again. I use brake clean for electrical cleaning. A striker from a book of matches works good for polishing the points. Cheaper. Goes back to the days when you always had extra books of matches around so you could crawl under the hood n polish the points to get the engine started again. My beautiful wife never seemed to mind watching me with my butt sticking out. Maybe why she liked that old truck so much. I've got my out reasons
Anyhow, I feel bad grounds account for 80% of the electrical problems I've worked on.
Good luck

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great. My thoughts those are diodes that reduce the amount of amps that flow threw the switch. And will burn it out eventually. Don't hold it down for very long.
I also suspect that the wire on your starter motor is corroded or not making a good contact or good ground. Clean them up. And don't forget that body ground to the battery where the battery ground hooks to the frame. Diodes don't go bad, a resistor made from clay if memory serves. Where the orange wires come together looks like a water tight connector. The points can become corroded in the switch. Try cleaning everything up , remove the jumper or one end. Then try starter again. I use brake clean for electrical cleaning. A striker from a book of matches works good for polishing the points. Cheaper. Goes back to the days when you always had extra books of matches around so you could crawl under the hood n polish the points to get the engine started again. My beautiful wife never seemed to mind watching me with my butt sticking out. Maybe why she liked that old truck so much. I've got my out reasons
Anyhow, I feel bad grounds account for 80% of the electrical problems I've worked on.
Good luck
lol...and thanks for the imformation and will do

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good luck
question ......i tested the conducttivity and didnt get a beep did i not test it right and if so what size diodes do i get...thanks

·
Registered
140 Posts
question ......i tested the conducttivity and didnt get a beep did i not test it right and if so what size diodes do i get...thanks
Yes you should be able to Gen an ohms reading doing a test for resistance.
There is a slang song on how to read the resistance on a diode. Something about a witches cestee. You can research it. Your ohms meter should read that resistance.
Try running a jumper over the diode. Maybe cracked or something. You can replace them as there cheap. Good luck you'll get er

·
Super Moderator
968 Posts
Yes you should be able to Gen an ohms reading doing a test for resistance.
There is a slang song on how to read the resistance on a diode. Something about a witches cestee. You can research it. Your ohms meter should read that resistance.
Try running a jumper over the diode. Maybe cracked or something. You can replace them as there cheap. Good luck you'll get er

I don't remember the song for diodes I do recall the mnemonic for memorizing resistor codes. I also recall from ninth grade electronics that violet was the girl we all were searching for.

BBROYGBVGW.

PIP CAM. Pizzaro Incas Peru, Cortez Aztecs Mexico. Thanks Mr. Klein 7th grade History.

SOHCAHTOA Trigonometry

What would we have done without these and a dozen more of them ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't remember the song for diodes I do recall the mnemonic for memorizing resistor codes. I also recall from ninth grade electronics that violet was the girl we all were searching for.

BBROYGBVGW.

PIP CAM. Pizzaro Incas Peru, Cortez Aztecs Mexico. Thanks Mr. Klein 7th grade History.

SOHCAHTOA Trigonometry

lol right thanks Mr Klein and thank you

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

BBROYGBVGW.

SOHCAHTOA Trigonometry

well i have seem to mis place it so i cant

BBROYGBVGW.

SOHCAHTOA Trigonometry

it seems i have mis placed it so i cant tell but wouldnt you think if i could find one that can handle 12 v or maybe less i mean the button shouldnt be pushed in that long right

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

it seems i have mis placed

it seems i have mis placed it so i cant tell but wouldnt you think if i could find one that can handle 12 v or maybe less i mean the button shouldnt be pushed in that long right
Zener

• 10 Pcs BZX55C5V1 (0.5W 5.1V)
  • 10 Pcs BZX55C12V (0.5W 12V)
something like this i found this on amazon

1 - 16 of 16 Posts