Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a pretty nice 87 unit. needs a throttle cable as far as I can tell and some front tires and be pretty decent after that. (hopefully!)
I plan to use this on property for moving some small logs, hauling rock for landscaping etc. BUT Id like to put a plow on it as well for the few times a season we get snow.Seems I'm having a hard time finding one to fit this unit, so any help would be appreciated. Not looking to brake the bank on it.. It MAY get used once or twice a year thats it. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Does it have a winch?

Really these ATV snow plows are nothing more than a plate that bolts to the bottom and then it has 2 pivot pins that hold the back of the plow on. Then usually the front is operated by a winch, but you could rig something up to do it manually like some of the old lawnmowers.

Mounting on the 250 might take some drilling and creativity, but it can be done. The problem the 250 might have is having enough weight to push or pull things. I tried to pull a 16' log that was about 14" in diameter. We had to have 3 people sit on the 4 wheeler to get traction.

There are videos on youtube showing how to install, those will give you an idea of what it looks like and how easy it would be to modify any plow to work.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've been plowing for 15 yrs with my 500 Vinson and 700 king quad.. the snow gets deeeeeeep here sometimes its plowing 5 days a week..

the quads rarely run out of power..

instead its traction that's the issue.. even with the king quad in 4x4 low range locked with chains on all four It still gets stopped and spins in the snow/ice
Trick is multiple small passes and starting the year pushing the snow as deep into the Bushes along the road as you can because each successive pass closes the road up a bit..

eventually mine looks like a luge track..

Couple years ago I got a tracked snowblower 12 hp 33 inch beast.. I plow into the middle now and blow the pile over the side berm...

with 1/4 mile long driveway and a very steep hill it's a challenge but fun if not -30.

Cheers from NW Ontario Canada

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

Thanks for the responses guys, I'm in the south (NC) and while we did get a 17" snowfall last year 80% of the time we deal with 2"-5" of snow. I just want to be able to get some snow off my father n laws driveway, its about 400' long and paved through the woods. they wont really drive in bad weather but they like to walk to the mailbox and get the paper etc.. So I'd like to just be able to help them out a little. Seems as Mentioned I may need to just rig something up off a LAwnmower setup or something! I'll see what I can figure out!

·
Registered
43 Posts
My quadrunner came with a plow, but as I had been kinda/sorta looking at this particular ATV for a while I did some looking but did not find a plow kit. I'm guessing a universal one could be found and bolted in. Or as you indicate, you could repurpose something from a lawn tractor. Anyhow. I don't think the winch "needs" a lot of umph as it is just lifting what, 100lb? maybe not even that much. I bought the cheapo HF 2,500lb winch and jerry rigged it up. It seems to work even though it's hack. I did remove the electric control it had though; my quad came with wiring for a Warn winch (no winch) and it has a much nicer set of buttons to go up/down. I found that fumbling in the dark with the remote was killing time. You might find that the little remote is "good enough".

My setup is kinda hack (well totally hack) but one thing I noticed while searching about ATV plows was that the steel line can be short-lived. No wonder as many setups have sharp turns in the line, going straight out of the winch and then down to lift. Steel cable has a minimum bend radius of ... something, but here it doesn't apply as the manufacturer must have observed that when doing the spool. [That is a piece of PT 2x6 and a couple of U bolts, and a couple of bolts to hold the winch to the board.]

Now for truly low buck I could have gone with a tow strap, but my driveway is too short to do that. If I was only using twice a year though... I'd recommend something else to lift the plow with, but if you don't plan to use too often adn don't need to lift the plow frequently, well... [Photo was right after I put the plow on, just to make sure I had all the parts required. After lifting it once or twice I realized I was not doing that any more!]

·
Registered
230 Posts
When i bought my 2000 kq 300 it had a winch and plow already. I would not necessarily set it up the same way the previous owner did but it works. And it looks easy to do this way.

I just looked online and found several universal plow kits in the 150-300 dollar range some were more. In my area a 2500 lb. winch from harbor freight is $69.99 or 49.99 with coupon. The winch comes with a fairlead. You will also want their atv winch mounting plate. It has mounts for the fairlead. Only like $5.

My plow is a universal kit. It mounts under the center of the quad. The center skid plate was removed. The mounting plate has U-bolts around the frame.

The winch was mounted on top of the rack. There is a plate welded to the rack between the bars. The winch and fairlead are bolted to the hf winch mounting plate. The mounting plate is bolted to the plate thats welded to the rack. You could use U-bolts or drill some holes and bolt it down. If you can't weld.
20191206_165227.jpg
20191206_165415.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts

Similar set up on this 250 with a cycle country plow blade, u bolts on the frame hold a pin mount for the plow pivot position. original owner had the hand lever to lift the plow but I added a winch as shown.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts