Suzuki ATV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
9,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, got a question. And I should probably know the answer to this. What I want to know is, can I completely remove the skid plate on my 300 KQ, (2000) model..? I know you can remove the front portion of the plate. But I'm just wondering if you can remove the whole thing. I'm assuming yes based on if you get a new frame I believe you can just swap it over. Dumb question I know. Just not thinking straight since I'm kinda pissed right now. Just found small puddles of oil under my atv, and I'm not sure where it's coming from. But the locations of the puddles seem to indicate it's coming from the middle of the bike someplace. Yet I can't visually tell. I'm going to look further into it probably Wednesday if I can find the time. But I'll probably have to pull the plate to see where it actually coming from.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
yes and it is all removable from the bottom bolts. I only have the front skid plate on my 90 LT-4WD right now. Kept getting to much debris inside the area in front of the motor.

Been exploring ways to give it protection without the plating. Want water, mud and sticks to just fall away.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Yeah it's held on with a bunch of 10mm bolts. Be warned if you're asking the question safe to assume it hasn't been off before and they will almost all break off. Good Luck AJ.

Also the oil could be from somewhere easy like the drain plug or anywhere really, it will drip then run across the skidplate and drip out the holes so it may not be immediately above the drip on the floor.

·
Administrator
9,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, the skid plate's never been removed. Well the long portion piece anyway. The front portion that protects the front diff has been off a few times. Now, i think I'd be lying if i said i wasn't worried about snapping a few bolts off, possibly more. Maybe if i use penetrating oil or something a few hours before i try and remove them might help. But i wouldn't bank on it helping much or at all.

·
Registered
586 Posts
If you really wanted to improve your chances of not breaking off the bolts you could soak them fully with penetrating oil 2 times a day for like a week. Also, I just noticed you recently reached 6000 posts, congrats on that!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Rapping on the bolt heads with a hammer can also aid in loosening. If soaking and rapping don't work, heating them up can be effective.

·
Administrator
9,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kinda refreshing my own thread here. But I thank everyone for all the insight so far. But I haven't had much time to tackle this since my original post. But I'm hoping to tackle this some time within the next 2-3 weeks. So what I'd like know is how many bolts are there fastening the the main piece of skid plate on the bike..? I think KingQuadRunner mentioned 10mm bolts, but how many...? And what's the best method of removing the bolts besides using penetrating oil..? Impact or a simple ratchet..? I'm thinking impact might be too extreme. Sounds like a broken bolt fest if I go that route. And anyone use ramps or whatnot to gain better access underneath..? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
79 Posts
So the mid and back skid plates are held on with four 10mm bolts each. Should be pretty easy to remove them without any kind of ramps. I've only removed mine once and I didn't break any bolt, but where I live we don't have that much of a problem with rust.
As for the oil leak, try to retighten the drain plug. Otherwise I'm guessing it comes from the engine cover on the pull start side. Mine had a minor leak there.
Good luck!

·
Administrator
9,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey got a question, what are the dimensions for a Suzuki king quad 300 1994
Dimensions like height, width, and length..? Or you looking for overall specs..? And welcome to the Forum.

Reactions: 18gee

·
Administrator
9,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No, I never did remove the skid plate. My leak was not coming from a driveshaft seal like I thought it was. There was a small bolt missing from the recoil starter assembly on the crankcase. Found a streak of oil running from that spot onto the skid plate. My brother in-law had a ‘93 parts bike laying around. Figured the bolts were still universal so I took the one from his bike that was missing on mine and put it on my bike. Went right in there no problem. Degreased the side of the crankcase and my skid plate and my oil leak disappeared.

·
Administrator
9,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yes please width and length and thank you
Here ya go:

Length: 2,080 mm (81.9 in)
Width: 1,130 mm (44.5 in)
Height: 1,080 mm (42.5 in)
Ground Clearance: 210 mm (8.3 in)
Wheelbase: 1,165 mm (49.5 in)
Dry Weight: 275 kg (606 lbs)
Payload Capacity: 390 lbs (Including Tongue Weight)
Towing Capacity:
  • Uneven Ground: 181.4 Kg (400 lbs)
  • Level Ground: 410 Kg (904 lbs)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here ya go:

Length: 2,080 mm (81.9 in)
Width: 1,130 mm (44.5 in)
Height: 1,080 mm (42.5 in)
Ground Clearance: 210 mm (8.3 in)
Wheelbase: 1,165 mm (49.5 in)
Dry Weight: 275 kg (606 lbs)
Payload Capacity: 390 lbs (Including Tongue Weight)
Towing Capacity:
  • Uneven Ground: 181.4 Kg (400 lbs)
  • Level Ground: 410 Kg (904 lbs)
thanks mate means alot

·
Administrator
9,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No problem, glad I could help.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts