Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My uncle recently gave me his old 250.

It runs good once you get it started. Hasn't been run much in a while and the battery is dead so you gotta spend some time pull starting it and the compression release is stuck.

Any way supposedly the engine was rebuilt and since that was done shifting is very touchy. You can't mash the shifter, you have to lightly touch it going into gears. If you go to far the shift lever won't return. Same thing for down shifting. It's a great quad for the kids the kids to ride so I'd like to get the shifter fixed if possible. Any help is much appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
8,586 Posts
What year is the Quadrunner..? As for shifting, the shifter mechanism is a ratcheting style mechanism and is designed to only allow for upshifting and downshifting once per lift or push of the shifter. If the mechanism is getting stuck then try lubing the shifter mechanism and linkage to see if that helps.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do I find out the year? I didn't find anything with year on it. Just a sticker under the seat saying it's an lt250

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there a manual for them anywhere? I don't mind opening it up if I have to. It will make it easier for everyone to use plus it will actually have some resale/trade value if I fix it.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Aj may be able to help you with a link , I up loaded a manual for the LT25ef, On these machines I believe the Vin # was on the front tube in front of the engine on a sticker placard. I also think it is stamped in a metal plate on the lower part of the frame I also attached the page from the manual once you get the Vin you can google it and find the exact year and model. I really believe you have one of the 85 0r 86 models they are tanks and can take a beating and seem to run forever.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,586 Posts
The only service manual i have available Rwoody is one for the 1985 - 1990 Suzuki LT230 & LT250. I don't have one available for the 250EF, i checked my list several times and didn't see it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here are some better pics.

I wish I would have read some of this before I went out yesterday and rode it a tiny bit. I'll look again for the vin next time I go out there. It's presently 45 minutes away at a friends house. I already have my lakota here and the wife says I have too much crapola here which is true and I live in the city so at the farm it stays.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The only service manual i have available Rwoody is one for the 1985 - 1990 Suzuki LT230 & LT250. I don't have one available for the 250EF, i checked my list several times and didn't see it.
I have a 1990 Suzuki LT250 and I'd very much would like a manual unit, or a copy of manual, as mine will not go into any gear and if I try to go into reverse i get a red light .. some time i keep trying to get it to shift a d it will take off very strong , but after about 20 to 30 ft. it drops out of gear and comes to a stop and then after going through gears i can eventually get the neutral light to come back on so i can start it.. I am will to pay for the manual, of for a copy .. Thanks Mike C.

·
Super Moderator
8,586 Posts
I have a 1990 Suzuki LT250 and I'd very much would like a manual unit, or a copy of manual, as mine will not go into any gear and if I try to go into reverse i get a red light .. some time i keep trying to get it to shift a d it will take off very strong , but after about 20 to 30 ft. it drops out of gear and comes to a stop and then after going through gears i can eventually get the neutral light to come back on so i can start it.. I am will to pay for the manual, of for a copy .. Thanks Mike C.
Look up a site called Tradebit. They have various PDF style service manuals at a very reasonable price. Usually Between $10 - $20 depending on the manual. As for your issue, if your popping out of gear quite a bit then it sounds like your clutch is on it’s the way out. If it were only slipping I’d say all it may need is a clutch adjustment. However, the fact that you have no reverse either is a bit troublesome. If you’ve got no reverse gear the issue might lay a little deeper within the crankcase. Finally the red light you see when you engage reverse is not signifying that there’s an issue. It’s to indicate that the bike is in reverse. The light should go away once you engage neutral.

On another note, please try and refrain from replying to threads older then a year old. You just replied to a dormant thread from 2014. Replying to these older threads pushes the newer threads down the queue. This is also a Forum rule, and if you have not familiarized yourself with them then you may want to take the time to brush up on then so no misunderstanding happens. In the future, if you should have any kind of atv related questions, we strongly encourage you to create your own threads. And welcome to the Forum.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts