Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to share my experience with the MOOSE seat cover sold specifically for the Suzuki lt-250 4x4, it is not universal so I'm not sure what other years or models it may cover.
My seat was ripped and duct-taped up. I called several upholstry shops and they wanted between $40 and $70 (US) so I decided to do it myself. The foam was still intact. I decided to add 2" of foam over the existing factory foam to make the seat more plush. I found that 2" is about the maximum I could build it up to and still be able to stretch the cover underneath to staple down.
While installing my seat cover I tried different staple guns which failed to penetrate the hard plastic seat pan. I tried a heavy-duty hand operated staple gun and a heavy duty electric, both failed. They either folded the staples over or left the staple sticking out. Through trial and error, I found that an air staple gun worked amazing! The pneumatic stapler I used also had a 1" nose that made it easier to reach into the crevasses to deliver staples. I found that 80-85 psi set the staples perfectly flush almost 100% of the time. I will add photos of the staple gun I purchased from harbor freight. For the padding, I used carpet underlay. I sprayed the seat foam with contact glue, and layered the padding. I topped it off with a super soft 1" layer of foam padding so the creases and bumps would not show. Then, I shaved and contoured it with an electric kitchen knife.
If it was summer time, I would have left the seat and cover out in the sun to make it more pliable before stretching it over and stapling it. Since it is winter time, I put the seat and cover in a plastic garbage can and left it in front of a house heater vent, pulled it out when it was nice and hot and stretched and stapled it down.
After I stapled it all the way around, I covered the exposed staples with a single layer of black duct tape just to finish it up nicely.

·
Super Moderator
520 Posts
Nice job! Thanks for a good write up that other members may benefit from.

I bought an air stapler also and found it was the best way to go. I have installed seat heaters on ever ATV we have owned over the last several years. The stapler paid for itself after the first installation.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I will be working on my seat in the near future. The moose seat cover looks like its good quality. Do you know if anyone sells a cover with "suzuki" on the side like the original?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I could not find a new one that looked factory and had Suzuki on the side. The Moose seat cover seemed pretty sturdy, but only a few hundred miles will tell!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts