Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody ever wear a riding suit for their ATV's? I'm planning an ATV trip to Colorado this summer. Here's a picture of my last motorcycle trip to Ophir Pass, Colorado in June 21, 2019 just to give you an idea.
IMG_1313.JPG

·
Super Moderator
8,586 Posts
That’s super awesome. Love that pic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You wont need a riding suit if you think you are going to ride your quad bike through 10 feet of snow. In the first 20 seconds you will be hopelessly bogged and will overheat in a riding suit trying to recover your quad bike and reload it on your truck.

Suggest you look at a snowmobile. They are made to travel in deep snow.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You wont need a riding suit if you think you are going to ride your quad bike through 10 feet of snow. In the first 20 seconds you will be hopelessly bogged and will overheat in a riding suit trying to recover your quad bike and reload it on your truck.

Suggest you look at a snowmobile. They are made to travel in deep snow.
That photo with 15' of snow was on June 21, 2019. I went 1 month later and it was only 10' of snow for July. I think at that altitude (13,000'), there's always snow and wind, but once I descend to my 8,000' basecamp, it's back to normal temps. I figured a riding suit would be quick and simple compared to motorcycle riding gear. Just curious if others used them; I didn't want to look like a dork.

·
Super Moderator
707 Posts
That photo with 15' of snow was on June 21, 2019. I went 1 month later and it was only 10' of snow for July. I think at that altitude (13,000'), there's always snow and wind, but once I descend to my 8,000' basecamp, it's back to normal temps. I figured a riding suit would be quick and simple compared to motorcycle riding gear. Just curious if others used them; I didn't want to look like a dork.
Your photos inspired me to do some quick research on that area. Very interesting place.

There are so many places like this around us that have interesting attributes which would go otherwise unnoticed.

My area (New York) is devoid of ATV riding trails. My son and I routinely travel to Pennsylvania and have ridden in West Virginia at Hatfiend McCoy also. When you immerse yourself in an area and frequently visit it, you learn about the little known , obscure areas.
Pennsylvania has an area listed by Yahoo many years ago as being one of the top ten places in the world to view the night sky. It was listed right up there with the Gobi Desert. We don’t travel there for that purpose, but the area known as “Gods Country” (Coudersport PA) has magnificent ATV trails and a rich history including a building which was built by a relative of former President Richard Nixon as a museum and research facility for the local potato industry. It later became a hotel , which my son and I had stayed in.

Nearby is Pennsylvania’s Grand Canyon. Another little known place. Perhaps more obscure is the town that inspired the movie “Silent Hill”. If your bored one night , Google “Centralia Pennsylvania “. It’s a town with an underground coal fire that has been burning for over 50 years. It is now abandoned and one of the most peculiar places I have ever had the privilege to read about and subsequently visit.

My father fought in WWII and the Korean War. He worked for Pan American Airlines after his military career ended. He was entitled to free and highly discounted travel rates. He never once flew anywhere as a civilian. He always commented that people travel to foreign countries and don’t even know what’s in their own backyards. He was wise beyond his years.

I think you uncovered one of those hidden gems in your travels.

·
Registered
2020 KingQuad 750
33 Posts
I figured a riding suit would be quick and simple compared to motorcycle riding gear. Just curious if others used them; I didn't want to look like a dork.
So, I've been wearing my dirt bike gear when I go trail riding... minus the pads. Tech 8 boots with the pants and helmet and goggles. I guess that I'm just real comfortable with the gear on when trail riding. There's no doubt that the 4 wheeler is way more protected than the dirt bike though, and I ride it much slower than the dirt bike. I may go with a little less gear this year but will probably still wear the boots. My old bones cant take the abuse they did when I was younger.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts