Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a non running 1985 LT250E Quadrunner. There are several issues that I'm looking for input as to whether they are all associated with the reverse switch. First, the machine is locked in gear, it will roll in reverse but not forward. Second, the Reverse and Neutral lights do not light up when the key is turned to either position. Third, there is no spark and finally, the starter button will not turn the starter. The starter will turn when jumped at the solenoid.

I'm waiting on the book to arrive but thought perhaps someone out there may have come across something similar.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After having read what I posted it occurred to me the issue is probably not the switch but the machine being stuck in gear. The neutral safety switch may preventing the lights from lighting up, the starter from turning and the engine from generating any spark. Has anyone encountered a machine stuck in gear, and if so, what was the remedy?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After reading my post it occurred to me the problem is the machine being stuck in gear. The neutral safety switch is preventing the lights from illuminating, the starter from turning and the engine from generating any spark. Anyone encountered a machine stuck in gear, and if so, what was the remedy?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've managed to get the machine out of the gear it was locked in and now the Neutral light works, the Reverse light works and the starter turns the motor. Unfortunately, still no spark. Does anyone know where I might find the neutral safety switch?

·
Super Moderator
7,695 Posts
If the neutral light is on and the starter spins, then the neutral safety switch isn’t your problem. When stuck in gear, sit on the bike and rock it back and forth while trying to put it in neutral. It happens with these atvs, it’s not an uncommon occurrence. As for your no spark. Try changing the spark plug first. If that doesn’t do it. Try doing a resistance check on the coil to see if it’s the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tip ajl719. I put a different plug into the socket and still no spark. I'll test the coil and work my way back from there.

This atv only has 1400 miles on it and it's immaculate. It has been sitting for quite a while in a garage. Given that it has been sitting and unused for several years I was hoping it was just a stuck switch. However, as you point out the neutral safety switch isn't the culprit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Check the little 10a fuse that says ign.

I just got a non running 1985 LT250E Quadrunner. There are several issues that I'm looking for input as to whether they are all associated with the reverse switch. First, the machine is locked in gear, it will roll in reverse but not forward. Second, the Reverse and Neutral lights do not light up when the key is turned to either position. Third, there is no spark and finally, the starter button will not turn the starter. The starter will turn when jumped at the solenoid.

I'm waiting on the book to arrive but thought perhaps someone out there may have come across something similar.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts