Suzuki ATV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I haven't said anything here for a while but I have this issue with a receiver and hitch that I just got for my Vin. The reciever is perfectly straight but the location on the quad's attachment point has the entire thing hanging obscenely low. Is the attachment point just bent out of shape or what, I wonder. I'll attach a pic. I'm looking to obviously get it all as level as possible. Lol. Any experience with this sort of thing?

·
Super Moderator
8,801 Posts
Thing is with those types of bolt on hitches is that they’re not fixed. Meaning they aren’t a part of the frame. I tried a similar set up several years back, though mine was simply a type of extension. Not a receiver style set up like yours. When I installed mine on my 300 KQ, the ball didn’t look flush. It was slightly slanted like in your pic, but not to that degree. Though the main issue I had was the whole thing would swing the minute I loaded a heavy trailer on it and started taking turns. And it didn’t make a difference how tight I bolted it down, it never stayed put. So I scraped it. If your uncertain if it’s the receiver or your bike. Remove the receiver and try installing the ball directly on the stock location on your quad. Now with your quad on a level surface check to see if the ball looks straight/level. You can use a torpedo level on top of the ball to be certain. If it’s slightly uneven then the minute you install your receiver hitch the whole thing will be out of whack.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thing is with those types of bolt on hitches is that they’re not fixed. Meaning they aren’t a part of the frame. I tried a similar set up several years back, though mine was simply a type of extension. Not a receiver style set up like yours. When I installed mine on my 300 KQ, the ball didn’t look flush. It was slightly slanted like in your pic, but not to that degree. Though the main issue I had was the whole thing would swing the minute I loaded a heavy trailer on it and started taking turns. And it didn’t make a difference how tight I bolted it down, it never stayed put. So I scraped it. If your uncertain if it’s the receiver or your bike. Remove the receiver and try installing the ball directly on the stock location on your quad. Now with your quad on a level surface check to see if the ball looks straight/level. You can use a torpedo level on top of the ball to be certain. If it’s slightly uneven then the minute you install your receiver hitch the whole thing will be out of whack.
I did have a ball on the Vinson but I never noticed it that far off at the time. With this setup on it it just made it more obvious. I went ahead and did a mock setup on my 300 KQ also and that one's hitch plate is WAY more robust than the one on the Vinson and it does make the whole thing sit way more level also so I might just put it on that one and put my 2" ball back on the Vinson. Always some odd thing with something. lol.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My biggest problem with the hitch on our KQs is that when you open up a trailer receiver the handle sticks straight up with little clearance to the muffler. It hard to unhitch things, even a small trailer. Kinda tucked back in a bit far also. Can't hook up things like a boat trailer.
I've got some old cutting edges from a grader blade or similar. Thinking I can use the 2 holes there, about 6" apart without much extra effort. Then have our daughter weld a dog on each side underneath to keep it from swiveling.
I'll make one up when we have the equipment out. Since we have 4 of them. One with a trailer ball receiver, a piece of pipe with a ball welded on to it. On the front of a KQ. Great for moving trailers around

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey guys. I haven't said anything here for a while but I have this issue with a receiver and hitch that I just got for my Vin. The reciever is perfectly straight but the location on the quad's attachment point has the entire thing hanging obscenely low. Is the attachment point just bent out of shape or what, I wonder. I'll attach a pic. I'm looking to obviously get it all as level as possible. Lol. Any experience with this sort of thing?

View attachment 21197
Probably just heat it up with gas bottles, and bend it up 10 degrees! The ball is so far our from the rear of the quad, it will extend the weight load by 4:(

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
They sell a 2" receiver made for the Vinson

Dang that's cool stuff. I didn't even know that existed until now. LOL. Says it will do the 2003 LT-A500F. Is there any difference between that and the LT-F500F as far as the tow plate setup and attachment is concerned though?

·
Super Moderator
8,801 Posts
Only difference is the LT-A500F is a automatic, and LT-F500F is a foot shift, (Manual).

Reactions: Warrior526
1 - 9 of 9 Posts