Suzuki ATV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I was going to put an aftermarket muffler on my 92 Quadrunner 250 but it seems there will be a lot of modifications to get it to fit. Also, although I love it there is no drainage box/bolt so that might be a serious problem. I tend to go through some fairly deep waterholes/river crossings at the hunt camp in the Kawarthas.

So. Now I'm considering taking my existing one to a welder instead. To be opened up (as there is a baffle or whatever that has broken loose inside) plus get the hole fixed. Lastly, also have the previous makeshift pipe portion shortened a tad.

What do you folks think? Is the old one repairable and a better option overall rather than putting on the aftermarket muffler (and potentially getting water damage to the engine head)? Has anyone rebuilt an OEM and if so can you let me know the results?

Pics attached of the new muffler plus pics of original.
Fluid Automotive lighting Liquid Nickel Gas
Grey Wood Road surface Gas Asphalt
Gas Art Metal Cylinder Auto part
Grey Thigh Human leg Knee Foot

Please and thank you.

·
Administrator
9,625 Posts
I think that muffler has done it’s time. And judging by the hole it already has I don’t think it would have to much solid material to weld onto. Most likely just end up burning a hole right through it. Best bet would probably be to just replace it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi ajl719,
Appreciate your sentiment but unless you're willing to be a really good pal and buy me one for $588 USD 🤣 that is definitely not an option. Even the 2 used ones on Ebay I found today are asking over $300 USD!
Tried "Peterborough Cycle Salvage" too today and none to be had.
They still have quite a lot of KingQuad 300 & 250 Quadrunner parts though. Here's their link if you or anyone else in our group wants it for used parts;

Another alternative is to use the universal one I still have that was in one of the 4 pics.
However, how can I? Surely it will fill up with water and ruin my engine. There is no drain plug after all. As I said, I go through some deep water holes and rivers (up to the driver's seat!).
Unless you know of an alternative that is compatible to OEM at a reasonable price then I have no alternative but to get it well and truly patched up at one of the local muffler shops or my trusty auto mechanic. Its not as bad as it looks quite frankly. Not really rusted out. It only looks that way because I took my drill and a wire brush bit to it yesterday for clean up.
Where there's a will, there's a way I'm certain. Some guys in the US fix them up with soup cans and fill them up with steel wool even! 😳😂 There's also a great YouTube video as well by an extremely clever, competent Aussie who fixed one.
Anyhow, I'll let you know how the refurbishment works out.
Like I said. No alternative at present.
Thanks as always though for your kind input.

Take good care.

·
Administrator
9,625 Posts
I understand a new muffler ain’t cheap. Seems certain parts for these old KQ’s are relatively expensive. I know I priced out a new rear brake drum once and it would of cost me $400 for a new replacement.

And the reason I thought a new replacement muffler would be the better route is cause I was thinking of when I had buddy fix part of my truck box. The floor had completely rusted out on the front left corner of the box. There was literally a big hole there when I had pulled out the box liner. So my buddy helped me remove the box from my truck, flip it, and weld a patch. But it was a frustrating process as even the lowest welding settings was burning a hole through the floor cause it was so thin. So my buddy cut out more of the floor until he had a area strong enough to weld onto. So even the patch grew in size to accommodate the larger whole. So this is why I suggested a new muffler even though I knew a new one wouldn’t be cheap.

I’m sure someone who’s qualified in welding or muffler repair could potentially fix it. Like me, you might just have to make a larger patch. Like cut out that whole bottom section and weld in a new piece close to the edges where there’s more metal to work with. I know the exhaust on my 300 is still fairly intact. It’s not loud so there’s no holes. But I do know the bottom of the tail pipe is cracked open in various spots. It’s been that way for years and doesn’t seem to be getting any worse. Then again since I bought my ‘19 750 in early 2020 I haven’t really used it much. It just finally made it back home from my buddy’s earlier this summer after I had sold my boat. And I think I’ve brought it for one good ride since then. But I’ve used it quite a few times to go to work. Either way, let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi ajl719,
Thanks for the follow up. Maybe I could sell my gently used OEM muffler on eBay too huh? 😂
Can I ask if you know the correct length/width of the pipe coming out of the OEM exhaust box? Would be very helpful as the one (previously replaced) on there is quite durable but somewhat weighty and too long.

Anyhow, I believe the primary issues with the rust hole in mine is the fact its in the lowest, furthest back portion of the box and I've never, ever used the drainage bolt. Its basically immoveable at present so I will definitely be remedying that during the refurb as well. Just adding a YouTube video from another guy very familiar with these old Suzuki quads and how to fix them. I've watched a few of his videos and he really appears to know his stuff.

Thanks as always. 👍🏻

·
Super Moderator
1,310 Posts
Hi ajl719,
Thanks for the follow up. Maybe I could sell my gently used OEM muffler on eBay too huh? 😂
Can I ask if you know the correct length/width of the pipe coming out of the OEM exhaust box? Would be very helpful as the one (previously replaced) on there is quite durable but somewhat weighty and too long.

Anyhow, I believe the primary issues with the rust hole in mine is the fact its in the lowest, furthest back portion of the box and I've never, ever used the drainage bolt. Its basically immoveable at present so I will definitely be remedying that during the refurb as well. Just adding a YouTube video from another guy very familiar with these old Suzuki quads and how to fix them. I've watched a few of his videos and he really appears to know his stuff.

Thanks as always. 👍🏻
This one isn’t going to win any beauty contests, but it is in better shape than yours

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This one isn’t going to win any beauty contests, but it is in better shape than yours

Hi John.

Appreciate the lead but I've been all over eBay. In my opinion, all are overpriced rusted out garbage being sold by unscrupulous people. Trying to cash in on the shortage. Mine is in far, far better condition. Only the one rust hole and the surrounding steel ia solid as a rock. Pressure build up always finds the weakest point if escape. Mine may look a tad rough but I rustproof it every year. The only reason it looks so rough is because I took a power wire brush to it to remove the paint/rustproofing to expose everything that might need attention otherwise.
Taking it to my mechanic whom I trust implicitly to do best repair possible.
That being said, I very much aplreciate your input.
Thanks a bunch. 👍

·
Administrator
9,625 Posts
That I do not. But I can try and check it before I head off to work tomorrow if I can remember. I’ve also never removed the drain bolt or even the spark arrester bolt. And seeing that neither has been removed since ‘99 I don’t feel like trying fate to see if they do. Will try and get that information for you tomorrow.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks ajl719. Be interested to know. Blew up an eBay photo of one earlier todah and judged the actual pipe portion to be 2/3 the length of tbe box. My buddy sliced it off partially with his sawsall for me. Interesting mini steel fan inside bottom of pipe. Have it soaking in oil as it didn't budge. Also bought fiberglass motorcycle/ATV packing on Amazon today. About the same price as steel wool or copper wool and it wont rust or burn. See photo attached. Still interested to see what spec muffler dimensions are nonetheless. Thanks as always.
Rectangle Output device Font Gadget Fashion accessory

·
Administrator
9,625 Posts
I want to apologize, I totally forgot to send you those measurements today. Will send them to you in the morning. I have it penciled in on my camping list so I don’t forget before I take off.

·
Administrator
9,625 Posts
The tailpipe is 3 1/4” wide. So it’s that measurement vertically and horizontally. And the tailpipe measures 5 1/2” from the muffler to the tip of the tailpipe.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You're the best! Thank you so much for this. It seems that I wasn't that far off after all when I measured via photos on the web. However, your accurate measurement is even better for my purposes.
Enjoy your long weekend camping and thank you as always

1 - 12 of 12 Posts