Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Suzuki Ozark 250 2wd. The other day I was riding around, stopped at a place and was going to turn around. When I stopped and gave it gas, it stopped moving. The driveshaft turns, but the rear wheels (axle) doesn't. It makes a slight grinding noise when I give it gas.

Today I decided to take the rearend off and see what the deal is. I expected to find the inside trashed, ring and pinion broke or chewed up beyond belief. I was surprised to see that they don't appear in bad condition - teeth appear to be "OK". I didn't check all of the bearings, but none fell out in my hand. When I hold the differential housing together, the gears seem to catch now and it turns the axle when I turn the spline where driveshaft goes. I did notice that a rear swingarm mount is loose as a goose, but I don't think that would cause it.

Any ideas? What should I look for?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A thought occurred to me. When I took off the right side rear tire, the axle nut was rather loose (I had it off not too long ago). Does the axle nut pull the Ring gear up tight with the pinion by chance?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
It very well could, I would keep playing with it to see if it has any play anywhere and Why it does. SO move the axle in and out and up and down try to move the driveshaft around. ETC..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took the axle nut off with my fingers...it was loose. The cotter key (bailing wire) was still through it, so I know it didn't just creep loose. I think I may as well go ahead and rebuild (new bearings and seals) the rearend while I have it down - would I need any special tools to do this?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Do you have a service manual for it? It would be useful for a rearend rebuild. It would show how to do it step by step and tools needed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't, but I will definitely pick up one before doing a full rebuild. I know some of the seals are leaking, so replacing them is the bare minimum that I'll do.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I found the problem. I took the rearend apart and found that the rear axle splines at ring gear were stripped. Not only that, it apparently had happened before that - the ##@[email protected] that I purchased it from had tack-welded it (very shoddy job) and didn't tell me. The tiny tack-welds broke loose. The only options are to either buy a new axle & ring gear, or to weld it. Due to monetary concerns, I've chosen the latter...but with a proper weld this time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, I found the problem. I took the rearend apart and found that the rear axle splines at ring gear were stripped. Not only that, it apparently had happened before that - the ##@[email protected] that I purchased it from had tack-welded it (very shoddy job) and didn't tell me. The tiny tack-welds broke loose. The only options are to either buy a new axle & ring gear, or to weld it. Due to monetary concerns, I've chosen the latter...but with a proper weld this time.

my quad is having the same problem now and I’m wondering what exactly did you have to buy to fix it

1 - 14 of 14 Posts