Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there this might sound like a stupid question but I have just bought a 98 King Quad 300, my first quad, and driving around my property it feels hard to steer around corners especially on concrete. It’s in 2wd and my question is is the rear diff suppose to be free wheeling or not? By that I mean if you jack up the rear and spin the wheel, is the other wheel supposed to spin the same way, like a LSD or locked diff?
It just feels like the back is locked making it hard to steer at low speeds

·
Super Moderator
8,056 Posts
The rear feeling like it’s locked is normal. It’s designed this way, even when the atv is in 2wd. Any turns you make on concrete or asphalt with increase the steering difficulty regardless. Especially at lower speeds. Once on dirt the steering becomes less cumbersome, (Difficult). In 4wd, only one front wheel will provide the extra traction. 4wd is designed this way to allow better traction on loose surfaces but also allows the front wheels to rotate at different speeds making steering fairy easy. Only when you lock the front differential will all four wheels rotate at the same speed. In differential lock steering becomes more difficult because both front wheels are locked creating greater resistance. Never utilize 4wd or differential lock on concrete or asphalt as doing so could cause potential damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
The rear feeling like it’s locked is normal. It’s designed this way, even when the atv is in 2wd. Any turns you make on concrete or asphalt with increase the steering difficulty regardless. Especially at lower speeds. Once on dirt the steering becomes less cumbersome, (Difficult). In 4wd, only one front wheel will provide the extra traction. 4wd is designed this way to allow better traction on loose surfaces but also allows the front wheels to rotate at different speeds making steering fairly easy. Only when you lock the front differential will all four wheels rotate at the same speed. In differential lock steering becomes more difficult because both front wheels are locked creating greater resistance. Never utilize 4wd or differential lock on concrete or asphalt as doing so could cause potential damage.

Hey thanks for the info, I thought that may be the case, but having never owned or driven a quad before thought I’d just clarify.
Loving driving it though, I should have got one years ago lol

·
Super Moderator
8,056 Posts
They are great little quads and tough as nails. I own a ‘00 Suzuki King Quad 300 with a little over 14,000 kilometres on it. It’s been a great quad and has never left me stranded. Keep up with the regular maintenance and she’ll serve you well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts