Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up an 03 Eiger 400. It’s in good condition, runs well and shifts well (non CVT). I was out riding the other day and went through a few puddles that I didn’t think were very deep (only about half way up the wheel). Since then, every time I hit the rear brakes (left hand or right foot), it dies from a blown ignition fuse. If I replace the fuse, it runs great until I hit the rear brakes...and the cycle starts all over again. I’m fine using just the front brakes for now but wondering if anyone else has had this issue before I start tearing off the plastics and chasing wires? Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
1998 Quadrunner 500, 2003 Vinson 500, 2007 King Quad 450, 2012 King Quad 750, 2009 Grizzly 700
178 Posts
I'd start with checking any wiring that leads to the tail light.

·
Super Moderator
8,586 Posts
I think that’s the first time I’ve actually heard applying the rear brakes blows a fuse. My guess is you probably have a short someplace leading to the rear taillight. I can’t think of anything else that would cause that. But maybe someone else will chime in if they think of anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I've read of some models having problems with corrosion in the light socket.

·
Super Moderator
707 Posts
I just picked up an 03 Eiger 400. It’s in good condition, runs well and shifts well (non CVT). I was out riding the other day and went through a few puddles that I didn’t think were very deep (only about half way up the wheel). Since then, every time I hit the rear brakes (left hand or right foot), it dies from a blown ignition fuse. If I replace the fuse, it runs great until I hit the rear brakes...and the cycle starts all over again. I’m fine using just the front brakes for now but wondering if anyone else has had this issue before I start tearing off the plastics and chasing wires? Thanks in advance for the help!
You shouldn’t rely on the front brakes only. I can think of plenty of times I was on steep downgrades and wouldn’t dream of using the front brakes.

Like AJL said, you probably have a short somewhere in the wiring between the brake switch and the brake light. TCIII mentioned brake light sockets corroding and causing problems. That is something to check also.

I believe there is a spring on the rear that actuates the brake light on your model. Try disconnecting the spring to take the light wiring/socket out of the equation . If applying the brakes with the spring removed doesn’t blow a fuse, look to the light socket/wiring for a problem.

Good luck .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts