Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a winch on my Kingquad 300 made me realize i needed to add one to my Quadrunner. But i didn't want to mount it the same as on my KQ. The previous owner had it mounted on the front rack. Looks like it would be easy to do and it works fine. But i still didn't want to mount it the same.
20191206_165344.jpg

So i took some measurements of the winch on the KQ. Found it would fit behind the front brush gaurd / bumper. Then bought another hf badlands 2500.

I looked around to see what kind of steel i had laying around. Found some 2x2 angle and got to work. Would have been easier if i had some plate steel.

I notched the metal to fit between the bars on the front gaurd. I made two pieces like this. The bars are tapered in so the rear one is slightly narrower.
20191120_135351.jpg

I basically lined it up with the front plastics. I did this to move the winch back far enough. I trimmed the steel along that line then trimmed the plastic.
20191120_135315.jpg
20191120_132516.jpg

I fitted it all together. Cleand the paint and rust off then tacked it together.
20191120_151151.jpg
20191120_180921.jpg

I unbolted everything and took it inside to finish welding it. I welded both sides. Then drilled mounting bolt holes for the winch. I painted it and put it back on then installed the winch. It's mounted upside down. But i don't think it matters.

The winch controller fit next to the battery perfect. There was a drain hole under the battery on the right side. I drilled it out larger and ran the wires through. Then in between the two pieces i welded in and connected them to the winch.

20191121_125437.jpg
20191121_125504.jpg
20191121_130006.jpg

It's pretty hard to beat the price of a hf winch. $49 with the coupon. It came with the fairlead bolts cable wires and controller . Like $5 for the mounting plate. And some black rollbar paint i had leftover from another project.

I'm almost done with my Quadrunner. Still need to adjust the valves. Finish the lights. Put everything back together. And clean it.

·
Super Moderator
7,955 Posts
That’s exactly where I mounted mine on my ‘00 KQ 300. Though mine is a solid steel plate u-bolted to the front bumper frame. Then the winch is bolted to the plate. I had a picture on the Forum before of my winch set up etc from a image sharing program called TinyPic. But they recently shut down and all my images are gone. So I’ll have to take some time and re-upload them. Works great in that location though. I don’t find it affects the oil cooler much. Some say it does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used a cheap 110 flux core welder i bought used for $60. It's a pos but work's fine for small projects. I use it at my parents house because it's light and portable. And I'd rather not use my dad's stick welder. Sooner or later i'll buy a better wire feed to keep out at their house for all the random stuff i do over there.

Flux core is not as clean but does not require gas. There is more clean up. But it gets the job done. And i don't need to worry about running out of gas. For the occasional project out there it's fine. I'm not even sure I'd be upset if it was stolen out of my dad's work shop because it was so cheap and such a pos. But it does what i need it to do for most things.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Good job on the winch mount! I tried to mount my winch in that spot but failed and resorted to the top mount similar to your first pics.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Real nice MacGyver job 440!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The harbor freight winch i bought has remote control only. The remote stopped working after getting wet. So don't swamp a HF controller. This was about 2 weeks after the warranty expired.

Instead of buying a new one I decided to make this one work. I know I could have just bought a controller. But I had time on my hands and all the parts needed laying around.

I tore into the winch control box and wired it to work with a 3 position toggle switch. Fwd off rev.

The big control box has 2 smaller units inside. One is the receiver for the remote the other is the controller. I removed the receiver and wired a toggle switch to take it's place. I used an old 3 wire extension cord. One hot wire going to my toggle. The other two wires take power back to the controller for either forward or reverse.

The toggle switch is on a handle at the end of the line. I ran the wire under the seat cut it and put in some quick disconnect fittings. I keep the switch with about an 8ft of wire coiled up in the storage box.

It works good and didn't cost me anything. I'll add a couple pics later.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts