Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to upgrade all the lights on my 2000 quadrunner 250 4x4 with all led lights. I'm going to change the headlights taillights speedometer lights neutral and reverse indicator light bulbs to led. Also i am adding a third headlight and reverse light.

Headlights and third headlight are already done. Neither was very expensive or difficult. I saw a pack of 2 lights at a local auto parts store and bought them for about $25. They were kind of an impulse buy. I saw them and thought they would make perfect 3rd headlights for my quadrunner and Kingquad. I found led headlight bulbs online for like $10 a pair. I think they are h6m bulbs.
20191029_150847.jpg

For the third headlights wiring i just tagged into the headlights high beam wires. I used my meter and tested to find wich one it was. The yellow wire was split and went to each headlight. Where the two came together i just unwrapped the wire and crimped a conector in. Then re wrapped the wire.
20191120_144621.jpg
20191120_144651.jpg
20191120_150050.jpg

I mounted the light off the two bolts on top of my speedometer housing. I used the bracket that came with the light. I just had to drill new holes. I tested for a good ground and used one of the bolts for the negative wire.
20191204_195508.jpg

I routed the positive wire through the pad on the middle bar on my handle bars. Then followed the throttle cable down.
20191120_144727.jpg
20191120_144755.jpg

·
Registered
2000 quadrunner 250 4x4
189 Posts
Awesome. After buying my wife's 98 with a handlebar mounted light, I have been thinking about adding one to my 00 since I only have body mounted lights....

·
Registered
43 Posts
Looks good. I think you have the same LED light I have! I used one for the reverse light. I took apart the wiring for the reverse switch and tapped that, using solder; in hindsight I would not do that again, rather I think it better to either use a scotchlock (yuck) or cut the wire and splice in with solder. There is switched +12 under the seat next to the reverse/neutral switch, and I tapped those; I should have used a fuse as any short in the line is apt to kill the whole quad and not just the light.

Orange appears to be switched +12V for the machine. The blue with red tracer is reverse light; it appears to be a switched ground. I put my LED light across those to get reverse light. [This LED light is so low powered that I don't think any relay is required.]

Yeah, I could stand to tidy up the wiring a bit... Those are EMT conduit clamps, one is a #0 and one is a #1, as I bought one of each as I wasn't sure on size. Turns out I need two or the light swivels too easily. I think the smaller 1/2" (the #0) fits better but the larger one works just fine and is easier to get over the bar.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am looking at wiring mine similar when i add the reverse light. I wasn't sure if the reverse switch would work or not.

I used weather proof rocker swiches when i did the third headlight and reverse light on my Kingquad 300. I did not like all the extra wiring. Not nearly as neat and clean as tagging into the factory wires.

I didn't take any pictures when i did the wiring on the Kingquad. But i did get pictures of the lights afterwards.

The reverse light is a small water proof led strip i found at a local marine supply shop. I'm going to use the same one on the quadrunner. I haven't taken any pictures in the dark yet but it's bright.
20191029_150602.jpg
20191029_150512.jpg

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wired my backup light to come on automatically. But only when I've got headlights on.

The blue red wire is switched ground. I looked at my manuals wiring diagram then tested it. I carefully peeled the insulation back wrapped my new wire around it. Then soldered and taped it.
20200415_144100.jpg

For power I went to the headlights. Looking at it now i could have used power from the tailights. The white wire is hot with both low and high beams. Yellow is just high beam. I soldered to the white wire.
20200415_142328.jpg

So the reverse light automatically comes on when the headlights are on and it's shifted to reverse.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here's how i did mine,, i ponied up $200 on my front LEDs,, 3800 lumens ea on high and around 500 ea on low,, 2way white LEDs. On the back is an older one i had. I think its like 1200 lumens but its just my reverse light tagged into the harness by the carb.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts