Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2000 King Quad 300 4x4 1987 Quadrunner 250 4x4
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a quadrunner 250 4x4 and it was working the one day but I noticed it would sputter and cut the engine at lower rpm's but higher rpm's it was fine. The next day it wouldn't start, I bump started it and it started but quickly stalled and backfired. It kept doing this and then it just wouldn't do anything, now when I try it, it sounds like it's about to start but it jus doesn't. It has spark, fresh oil and oil filter, and it has gas. Does anyone know how to fix this or what the problem is?

·
Super Moderator
7,955 Posts
Try checking your valve clearances to see if their still within spec. And welcome to the Forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try checking your valve clearances to see if their still within spec. And welcome to the Forum.

How do I check that? Also I tried starting fluid and that didn't work either. And when I try to bump start it, it hits the rev limiter when I go full throttle but still doesn't move or start.

·
Super Moderator
7,955 Posts
There are typically valve inspection caps atop the engine. You remove those caps and use feeler gauges to measure the clearances. There should be videos on YouTube on how to adjust them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I don't know if this will help determine anything but this is it when it's trying to start.

·
Super Moderator
7,955 Posts
Yes, any hard starts more so from a cold engine or warm can be attributed to out of spec valves. But there could also be a few other causes as well. But checking the valve clearances is a good place to start.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, any hard starts more so from a cold engine or warm can be attributed to out of spec valves. But there could also be a few other causes as well. But checking the valve clearances is a good place to start.

I don't have small enough tools to check it but just wondering, would the metal piece on the n95 mask work for the intake valve or exhaust valve? The intake is .001 - .003 and the exhaust is .003 - .005

·
Super Moderator
7,955 Posts
I have no clue if the metal piece of a N95 mask would work. Though I wouldn’t chance a random piece of metal to measure your valve clearances. I’m sure you could pick up a set of feeler gauges at a auto parts store for fairly cheap.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have no clue if the metal piece of a N95 mask would work. Though I wouldn’t chance a random piece of metal to measure your valve clearances. I’m sure you could pick up a set of feeler gauges at a auto parts store for fairly cheap.

I got a feeler gauge and I checked the valve clearances and they were perfectly fine, .001 for the intake and .003 for the exhaust

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Is there anything else that might be wrong? I checked nearly everything and it still doesn't start!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
choke broken or not set up correctly?

What year is this beast?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
After cranking for a bit, is the spark plug wet or dry? Maybe not getting enough fuel?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After cranking for a bit, is the spark plug wet or dry? Maybe not getting enough fuel?
It's wet, i've tested it multiple times and it's always wet. I made sure the engine wasn't flooded and made sure it wasn't getting to much. And what is confusing me is that it ran perfectly fine then the next day it stopped.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I decided to re-clean the carb which is I good thing I did. First off, the fuel lines where hard to get off and same for the throttle, then I did the choke... I got it fully unscrewed and it wouldn't come off, I had to yank it out of there and it was COVERED in white stuff which looked like corrosion. Then I took the whole carb off and when I took it off there was some of that stuff on the bottom of where it leads into the engine and on the boot of the engine there was some at the little lip of it, so luckily it didn't get into the engine. Then I took of the other part of the choke and it was covered in the corrosion like stuff and on the inside. I saw that it was coming out of that hole where the choke leads into the main part of the carb. Do you have any clue what it was? The rest looked fine and clean, I also had my fuel off so could that be why that's happening? Please help!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Can you post a picture of it?
Also, after I cleaned the carb I tried to start it, wouldn't start of course. And there was no gas coming out so I fixed that, then there was gas so I tried it again then checked the sparkplug which was dry.

·
Registered
193 Posts
What does the rest of the carb look like? I am more concerned with the internals. For the most part, any dirt, or corrosion on the outside is cosmetic. Dirt, corrosion, or gummed up internal passages can make it run bad.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's perfectly clean, I made sure I cleaned everything and there's no dirt or anything it in

1 - 20 of 22 Posts