Suzuki ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have cleaned many quads for small equipment. Do I need to replace rubber diaphragms or such? Do I need a carb kit or just take it apart and clean? Any links to good vids? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Administrator
9,173 Posts
A ultrasonic cleaning is what I’d recommend. There’s even a lemon juice solution. Yes, I said lemon juice. There’s a thread on it. Do a Forum search and you’ll find it. As for a carb kit, I recommend Shindy.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can do the ultrasonic cleaning. That should be fine, but what do I don't I take apart? Just remove float, clean jet and needle or is there more to this? Are carb kits the way to go or does everybody just clean and put back together. For smaller carbs, I believe I put the parts in a mason jar which has seafoam in it, then drop it in the ultrasonic cleaner.

·
Administrator
9,173 Posts
Remove the float and any rubber or plastic parts so they don’t get ruined. Remove each jet and let them soak. Then pass a very small wire through each orifice to ensure there isn’t any blockages. I have seen people simply clean the carb and put it back together. But in some cases a cleaning simply isn’t enough. A carb kit will ensure that doesn’t happen.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, no problem. I am not too cool with the wire idea, but will blast carb cleaner through each orifice. I will look into th Shindy kit. Thank you.

·
Administrator
9,173 Posts
If you don’t like the idea of passing a wire through each jet then soak them and then blow them out with compressed air if you have a compressor. Blowing them out should be just as good.

·
Registered
236 Posts
OK, no problem. I am not too cool with the wire idea, but will blast carb cleaner through each orifice. I will look into th Shindy kit. Thank you.
If you use a single strand of brass bristle from your BBQ brush or gun cleaning kit, it shouldn't damage the jet orifice. I also use carb cleaning aerosol spray with the straw. But it's not always enough pressure to open the jet up.

·
Registered
30 Posts
In 50 years of motorcycles and quads, I must have cleaned close to 100 carbs. Only once have I had to buy a carb kit and that was because of a damaged jet needle.

Chainsaw carbs are a different matter as understanding these type of carb is a dark art.

Anyway, I usually boil jets for a few minutes in vinegar if the missus is not home to clean them although blowing with compressed air is often all that is needed.

·
Super Moderator
968 Posts
A ultrasonic cleaning is what I’d recommend. There’s even a lemon juice solution. Yes, I said lemon juice. There’s a thread on it. Do a Forum search and you’ll find it. As for a carb kit, I recommend Shindy.
+1 on the lemon juice. It works great.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yes. If the diaphragm has a hole in it, it cannot create enough vacuum to lift the needle. I just went through this on my 93 KQ. I had a tear in the diaphragm about 3/4" long. No top end. I put some black tape on it and that helped a bit. So I raised the needle 1 notch. I lowered the c clip to the next slot down. That made a huge difference.
It runs great. I still have to find a diaphragm for under 75 bucks. Folks won't ship to ak.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys. I finally got around to doing this. I used the ultrasonic cleaner with Seafoam. I then sprayed out everything with carb cleaner and put it back in the tank for another 15 min and cleaned with carb cleaner again. It looks clean, but I notice the carb kit does not come with many usable parts. It has a new needle, float bowl seal, and possibly an o-ring the for the main jet. Aside from that, most of the stuff in the kit does not look like it applies. The kit is an "All Balls" racing kit. I believe they are related to "quad boss".
It appears the needle seat is pressed in and not replaceable. Any confirmation of that? Thanks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I could use more help. I cleaned the carb. The airbox was full of gas. I put the clean carb back in, but it is running really bad. I am not sure how to adjust the carb. I put a new plug in and I think it may be running too rich. I put the carb back the same way I removed it. But, it certainly is not running right. How do I go about getting this right? Thanks.

·
Administrator
9,173 Posts
Do have the carb set correctly, (Spec).Making adjustments to the carb has to always be done with the carb removed from the bike unfortunately.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update. I believe this thing is flooding. If I go to start it, with some throttle, it will start and bog. If I rev it high, it will clean up. I can keep it running like this. Once I let it stall, no way will it restart. I have to pull the soaked spark plug, clear the cylinder by cranking the pull start, I remove the vacuum line and fuel line. I can then get the thing to restart with no fuel connected, from what was left in the carb. My question is why doesn't the carb leak from the hose at the bottom? How does this drain work? Do I need to turn the screw that is there to drain the bottom? I believe I have to take the carb back out and use Brasso to clean the seat and check the float height. The pilot jet was screwed 2 1/4 turns out from full. That is what the quad was initially at. The vacuum line is bone dry and if I suck on it, gas pours out of the fuel line. So, I think the petcock is fine. But, this thing runs terribly. The good news is that the output seal is no longer leaking oil. I just need to get the carb right. Any diagnostic advice.

I am thinking of removing the carb from the airbox and intake, but leave it hooked to fuel. Then put the petcock to PRI and fill the crap out of the bowl and see if the float will close or if gas will pour out of the carb. Whatcha think? Thanks!

·
Registered
2020 KingQuad 750
116 Posts
Sounds like the float isn't working correctly. Sometimes they can be tough to get just right. Make sure it's not getting hung up.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Unfortunate update - I took the carb back out, polished the seat with brasso, checked the float height and then looked over the parts diagram carefully. It looks like I may have lost part. I do not have a needle jet. I have the main jet and main jet holder. I have a needle, but there is no needle jet under the main jet holder. According to the parts diagram there should be one. I don't have it. So.....did I somehow lose this. This might explain why it won't run and runs super rich.
I left the petcock on PRI and had the carb removed from airbox and intake. No gas leaks from it. The float needle must be seating.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok. I put the needle jet back in and the quad runs beautifully. But, it drips out of the float drain after it is shut off. It starts dripping about 1min after shutdown. If I disconnect and drain the fuel hose right after shutdown, the bowl drain hose will not leak, as there is no fuel left in the line to fill the bowl. So..... it appears the needle is not closing off. I think the float height was within spec. But, can I adjust it to close earlier or should I buy a factory needle? I used the new needle from the "all balls" kit.

·
Registered
2020 KingQuad 750
116 Posts
Sounds good! Was there a small brass tube attached to the bottom float bowl cover that runs vertically up between the float? It sometimes will have an overflow hose attached to it on the exterior for when the bowl float does get stuck, fuel wont back up into the system... it will drain out the bottom of the bowl. If you do have that, the float may be fine and it may be that tube that is leaking out the bottom. They do leak and they are very difficult to replace. Ive sealed the edges before and that works for a little while, but still leaks again. You could just plug it if that's what it is.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hmmm, I have the brass tube with the overflow. From that hose, I have the leak. I am going to pull the carb again. I imagine I could fill the bowl while it is off the carb and see if it leaks around it. But, it does not leak when the engine is running. It only leaks when you shut it off. Which makes me think that the remaining fuel in the fuel line is draining into the bowl and the float is not closing so that it eventually then goes into the over flow drain tube and out the hose. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2020 KingQuad 750
116 Posts
You may be right. If I remember correctly, mine may have leaked when the bike was running as well as when it wasn't..... I think. I ended up plugging it anyway and it would start and run fine after. Not the best solution, but I always shut the fuel off at the petcock when not running so no harm done

1 - 20 of 26 Posts