Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have two Suzuki 1985 lt125s. My brother was riding one the other day and he said as he downshifted it died on him. The pull starter won’t budge so we can’t get it started again. Transmission shifts into all gears and neutral but can’t seem to find out why it won’t crank over. Any thoughts on what I should look for?
Thanks

·
Registered
191 Posts
Try pulling the spark plug out and pull starting it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Does the rope in the pull start pull up a little bit before it engages to the engine? Or is it just tight right to the base of the pull start handle? If it's tight to the handle then I would pull the rope start assembly off and check it out. It could be bound up.

Also x2 on pulling the plug, it might have hydro locked due to a carb fueling issue or water getting into the bore somehow.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pulled the spark plug and the bottom was smashed and element gone. Still locked up after pulling spark plug. Any ideas why the spark plug would be smashed?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Pulled the spark plug and the bottom was smashed and element gone. Still locked up after pulling spark plug. Any ideas why the spark plug would be smashed?
Can you take some pictures of the spark plug and post them here? I would like to see the detail of the damage.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Something broke. Probably the top of the piston. You'll have to pull the top end apart.

If you have a borescope, you can look down the spark plug hole at the top of the piston at the bottom of the stroke and I'd bet you'll see the exhaust side of the piston is broken. Take the head off and I'd bet the valve seat(s) are also messed up due to debris getting rammed through them.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
BTW - Borescopes are cheap these days. I bought one off of Amazon for $20 and it uses WiFi to connect to my phone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts