Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was hoping someone knows the oem weight of the rollers in the primary drive on a new 400 King Quad Asi. Wanted a manual to ride and hunt with. The daughters wanted an auto to trail ride some when I wasn't using it. Needless to day we own an auto. Have always owned Hondas but thought the Suzuki looked better and was a great price. Noticed immediately that the transmission does not gear up until the engine reaches high rpms. Going to run stock tire size so after researching just believe that I need a little heavier roller weights in the primary drive to make it more drivable. If I can find out the weight of the rollers they come from the factory with without taking them out, I can just buy something a little heavier and switch them eliminating downtime. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Any reason why you wouldn’t shim it 1st (coop45 mod)? Before changing the roller weights the 1st step for most is adding shims , it’s fairly easy and cheap to do and improves bottom end . it maybe all you need. You will lose some top speed based on how much you shim. You can always fine tune with the weights but the shims may just give you what your looking for. Ebay and amazon have the kits for your machine I think.

Cosmoska 4pcs shim mod clutch coop45 SUPER KIT For Suzuki King Quad 400 450 500 700 750, Engine - Amazon Canada

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any reason why you wouldn’t shim it 1st (coop45 mod)? Before changing the roller weights the 1st step for most is adding shims , it’s fairly easy and cheap to do and improves bottom end . it maybe all you need. You will lose some top speed based on how much you shim. You can always fine tune with the weights but the shims may just give you what your looking for. Ebay and amazon have the kits for your machine I think.

Cosmoska 4pcs shim mod clutch coop45 SUPER KIT For Suzuki King Quad 400 450 500 700 750, Engine - Amazon Canada
i thought about the shims but bottom end isn't really the issue. It just don't seem to advance through the "gears" as it should. I also thought that once the machine gets a little more broken in, it may become more drivable. I'm just not used to the engine turning up so much to advance to a higher gear with just a normal load (person) on it.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
That's just the way they work. They will not advance to a ( higher gear) without higher RPMS. I have manual gears and it bugs me when I get on a atv with that type of transmission also.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts