Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m on the verge of buying a KQ 750 AXi, with NO power steering, this quad will solely be used to hull things up a steep mountainside overseas, on rack and at times with a trailer. I currently own an ozark 250, although I love her to death, she lacks the power to assist me.

Now, does Power Steering really matter when it comes to quads? I know I’m going to notice a BIG difference coming from an ozark 2x4 to King Quad 4x4, but other than that should I make it power steering a PRIORITY?

·
Registered
18 Posts
The non-power steering models have a very steep caster angle on the front suspension that makes them unstable, especially on hill descents.

I wouldn't recommend a non-power steering Kingquad 500/750 to anyone for that reason.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The non-power steering models have a very steep caster angle on the front suspension that makes them unstable, especially on hill descents.

I wouldn't recommend a non-power steering Kingquad 500/750 to anyone for that reason.
I love this site

I see 🤔 .

·
Super Moderator
437 Posts
I’m on the verge of buying a KQ 750 AXi, with NO power steering, this quad will solely be used to hull things up a steep mountainside overseas, on rack and at times with a trailer. I currently own an ozark 250, although I love her to death, she lacks the power to assist me.

Now, does Power Steering really matter when it comes to quads? I know I’m going to notice a BIG difference coming from an ozark 2x4 to King Quad 4x4, but other than that should I make it power steering a PRIORITY?
I am very familiar with the Ozark. My son had one for years and loved it. Yes, it’s a huge difference stepping up to a KQ750.

The power steering on the KQ does allow for some changes in the caster angle. The benefit is increased stability when hitting bumps and irregular riding surfaces. That’s the factual, mechanics of power steering.

Now on to the opinions..... This is somewhat subjective. I currently own two KQ750’s. Both are non EPS units. One is a 2009, the other is a 2020. The 09 was mine before I recently bought the 2020. I put about 3,000 miles on it, bought the 2020 and now my son rides the 09.
It has been on some serious trails that test man and machine. Hatfield McCoy was one such place. That being said, I have never felt the need for power steering. However, I appreciate the opinions of those who find EPS necessary . I believe some reasons for the need may be rider experience, trail conditions, upper body strength, marketing of EPS and to some degree, the opinions of other riders. Some may also be born from a prior, negative experience after hitting a rock, root, or bad trail surface.

When my son was younger, lighter and weaker , I would always caution him to take it easy when he took my 09 KQ for a ride. More than once he mentioned that he “felt the handlebars jump” when hitting bumps at higher speeds. When he was 15 he was a bean pole. He had a growing spurt, gained 45# in just over a year. He is 18 now, 6’ and 190#. He doesn’t feel the same feedback from the handlebars anymore. I am 6’ 3” 220#. I can feel movement when hitting irregular surfaces, but I never felt like I was going to loose control, or loose my grip on the handlebars.

Again, I respect this opinion. I have heard many people say the same thing.

I love this site

I see 🤔 .
I hope you still do. Even after we confuse you.

·
Super Moderator
8,111 Posts
Earlier this year (May), I bought a new 2019 King Quad 750 Se +. I went from riding a ‘00 300 KQ for 20 years to a much larger 750 KQ. My 300 KQ was obviously a non EPS unit, but it was as always a breeze to operate. I’ve always been a small person. So before my surgery in 2017, I use to weigh around a buck 45. Since 2018, I’ve gained a bit of weight but not much, weighing only a buck 60.

When I bought my 750 I had decided I wanted a EPS unit. I made my decision based on reviews, and not knowing how the much larger Suzuki would handle. I didn’t want to buy a non EPS unit and regret it 2-3 months down the road. And like I previously mentioned, I’m not a huge guy so I figured a EPS unit would most likely benefit me. Plus it also gave me piece of mind knowing the steering wouldn’t get all twitchy when my wife was driving. Overall, I couldn’t be happier with my decision. Plus it was only $400 to $600 difference between a non EPS unit and a EPS unit. So for a bit more pice wise, why not have the convenience of EPS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1998 Quadrunner 500, 2003 Vinson 500, 2007 King Quad 450, 2012 King Quad 750, 2009 Grizzly 700
72 Posts
I have a 2012 king quad 750 no power steering, if I ride my 98 quad runner around and then hop on the 750 I notice a massive difference especially since the quad runner is all time 4 wheel drive. In my opinion it is super easy to turn the 750 when you are driving it around. But when you turn on the 4 wheel drive it does become a little bit stiffer to turn. So I can see how power steering would be useful for when you are going over rocks and stuff in 4 wheel drive.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I bought a non-power steering model and overall I’m happy w/my purchase. I trail ride on some rough terrain could have benefitted from the power steering model. I have looked into aftermarket power steering options for my KQ and it is not worth the headache, time, and money to go that route.

I got an incredible deal for my KQ and for that reason I’m not complaining. In my opinion, for what you will be using your future KQ for I think you will be fine with the non-power steering model. I have never felt unsafe riding mine.

I hope I helped.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts