Suzuki ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2020 kingquad 750....id like to see about 8 to 10 hp more. Is this even possible? I drove a friend's canam 850 outlander and I thibk this may have ruined me on my Kingquad. That thing was so fun to ride. Power on tap! But man those things aren't cheap. I wouldn't mind doing a tuner and a pipe and some other things to the king but I know it'll never have the power of the Canam. Is ten hp unreasonable?

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have a 2020 kingquad 750....id like to see about 8 to 10 hp more. Is this even possible? I drove a friend's canam 850 outlander and I thibk this may have ruined me on my Kingquad. That thing was so fun to ride. Power on tap! But man those things aren't cheap. I wouldn't mind doing a tuner and a pipe and some other things to the king but I know it'll never have the power of the Canam. Is ten hp unreasonable?

A friend of mine has a Can Am XT-P 1000R and it's piped and tuned and puts out over 100HP. It's fun to ride and he hasn't had any problems out of it yet (running stock tires). But Can Am reliability is not the greatest from what i have seen on the internet. Thats why when i bought a new ATV last summer Can Am was not even an option for me. I will not sacrifice reliability for performance so i went with a 2021 King Quad 750.

I want to get more power out of mine and knew that before i bought it. My plan is to have the sheave machined to get better low end power. I also plan on putting a pipe on it and running a Copperhead ECU but they do not make one for the 2019+ King Quads yet. That should get 10HP easy. I have already installed the Twin Air Power Flow air filter on it to help it breathe easier. I would like to put cams in it but no one makes them anymore.

Seems like the aftermarket dont really support Suzuki as much as they support the Grizzly. I have seen some tuned 700 Grizzlies on youtube that look pretty wicked.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A friend of mine has a Can Am XT-P 1000R and it's piped and tuned and puts out over 100HP. It's fun to ride and he hasn't had any problems out of it yet (running stock tires). But Can Am reliability is not the greatest from what i have seen on the internet. Thats why when i bought a new ATV last summer Can Am was not even an option for me. I will not sacrifice reliability for performance so i went with a 2021 King Quad 750.

I want to get more power out of mine and knew that before i bought it. My plan is to have the sheave machined to get better low end power. I also plan on putting a pipe on it and running a Copperhead ECU but they do not make one for the 2019+ King Quads yet. That should get 10HP easy. I have already installed the Twin Air Power Flow air filter on it to help it breathe easier. I would like to put cams in it but no one makes them anymore.

Seems like the aftermarket dont really support Suzuki as much as they support the Grizzly. I have seen some tuned 700 Grizzlies on youtube that look pretty wicked.
See I love everything about the Kingquad except the fact that it's a dog.... I mean if Suzuki could get the 750 up to 70,75 hp they would actually have something. But I can't even keep up with utvs or bigger quads.

Part of the problem is the suspension which I want to upgrade this spring to Elka stage 3. But I'm starting to doubt I want to put anything else into this quad because it might just be in my best interest to move on to a bigger wheeler. It's a struggle because like I said everything else about the quad is great and the reason I bought it. I'll have to look into the tuners/ecu and any other upgrades I can find.

So currently I could dump another almost 3k into the king quad to get the performance up a bit or I can cut my losses and get a Polaris 1000 or can am 1000/850 instead thats slightly less reliable but more fun to drive and can keep up with modern utvs. My king is almost new yet though. I only have 120 miles on it.

Lots to think about for sure.

·
Administrator
9,061 Posts
The thing is you can’t compare a Suzuki to a Can-Am or Polaris, Yamaha, etc. A lot of those bikes have larger engines and are a V-twin. Suzuki atvs are well rounded machines, more aimed on build quality and reliability. I can’t tell you how many times over the years where I’ve heard of people wishing Suzuki made a 1000cc King Quad. The other is a utv, but mainly a larger V-twin King to keep up with the competition. And it’s not only the various members on this Forum who have said this. But those atv magazines or those online atv reviews by avid riders.

So to be totally honest with you, if your looking for more power and top speed your probably best to sell your KQ and get a Polaris or Can-Am, etc. You’ll end up spending more money trying to increase your KQ’s hp where you’ll only see minimal gains at most. Even then, it probably won’t be enough to meet your wants or needs.

·
Registered
195 Posts

See I love everything about the Kingquad except the fact that it's a dog.... I mean if Suzuki could get the 750 up to 70,75 hp they would actually have something. But I can't even keep up with utvs or bigger quads.

Part of the problem is the suspension which I want to upgrade this spring to Elka stage 3. But I'm starting to doubt I want to put anything else into this quad because it might just be in my best interest to move on to a bigger wheeler. It's a struggle because like I said everything else about the quad is great and the reason I bought it. I'll have to look into the tuners/ecu and any other upgrades I can find.

So currently I could dump another almost 3k into the king quad to get the performance up a bit or I can cut my losses and get a Polaris 1000 or can am 1000/850 instead thats slightly less reliable but more fun to drive and can keep up with modern utvs. My king is almost new yet though. I only have 120 miles on it.

Lots to think about for sure.

Well low power unfortunately = reliability. The friend of mine that owns the Outlander XT-P 1000R dont ride much and has only owned it a few years. I put more miles on my new King Quad i bought a few months ago than he has put on his Outlander in the past 2 years. Previously he had a Can Am Renegade 800 which he also did not ride much but he never had any problems out of it either.

I have absolutely nothing good to say about Polaris. Friends of mine have owned many of them off and on over the past 20 years and they are the least reliable machines i have ever had the displeasure of riding with. Most of the time riding trips would get canceled because they had clutch, 4wd, holes in the transmission, bad CV shafts... the list just went on and on. Kawasaki, Suzuki, Honda, Yamaha ATV's me and buddies have owned have always been very reliable.

Polaris and Can-Am ATV's do have a lot of power. And if you dont mind trading them off every few years before they start becoming a endless money pit then they are great. But if you want something reliable that you intend on keeping more than 3-4 years then you are going to have a lot less power and you will just have to deal with it.

My 2021 750 King Quad with power steering was $10,995 out the door. And it did not come with anything not even aluminum wheels and very cheap thin sidewall tires. My friend paid $15,000 out the door for his Outlander 1000R and it has aluminum beadlocks, nice aggressive radial tires, a 3000 pound Warn Winch, Fox Shocks, front and rear bumpers, hand guards, Painted plastic that holds up very well to scratches, 40 more horse power ect...

It's really amazing how Cheap Can Am's are for all that you get with them. But you are trading performance for reliability. If i was to put everything on my King Quad that came on a Can Am it would cost more than he paid for his Can Am and still have 40 less HP.

·
Registered
2020 KingQuad 750
80 Posts
So, being the only 4 wheeler I've regularly ridden, I cant compare to more powerful ones, but I feel as though my 2020 750 has some pretty good sack, once it gets moving. I also am digging the possible long term reliability that I'm hopefully looking at, based on reviews. But the real reason I bought this one was the price. It was by far the cheapest big motor 4 wheeler that was out there. I bought the brand new 750 for 6,299 out the door price. No power steering, but that price made it a no brainer pick for me. I've since added bumpers, rims, tires, lighting, storage, winch, an OEM plow setup, and some other things, and I'm still way under 9 grand total. Now thats value.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The thing is you can’t compare a Suzuki to a Can-Am or Polaris, Yamaha, etc. A lot of those bikes have larger engines and are a V-twin. Suzuki atvs are well rounded machines, more aimed on build quality and reliability. I can’t tell you how many times over the years where I’ve heard of people wishing Suzuki made a 1000cc King Quad. The other is a utv, but mainly a larger V-twin King to keep up with the competition. And it’s not only the various members on this Forum who have said this. But those atv magazines or those online atv reviews by avid riders.

So to be totally honest with you, if your looking for more power and top speed your probably best to sell your KQ and get a Polaris or Can-Am, etc. You’ll end up spending more money trying to increase your KQ’s hp where you’ll only see minimal gains at most. Even then, it probably won’t be enough to meet your wants or needs.
I agree, it's not fair to compare them. They are designed to fill different roles to a point. See I'm not looking for high speed.... I'm just used to big power. My motorcycles are all in the 150hp range.... Snowmobiles..... So then I got the king and I'm just looking for that fun torque and snap. I ride alot of windy narrow logging roads but when you try to keep up with a utv it gets annoying. They have better suspension and power then the king so it's a losing battle. The outlanders with the fox shocks don't struggle much.

I'm not going to defend canam on any front for reliability since I've never had one but I believe ot of the issues stem from the way people ride them. I wouldn't be that hard on it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll be honest I did research upgrades several times before I posted and didn't really come up with much. I thibk the main reason I posted is because other than the big black eye that is lack of power, I really, really want to keep the king and upgrade it the best I can. I was hoping somebody had a "silver bullet" upgrade that could change the game a little.

But on the flip side, I'm not really interested in getting a quad that is going to have issues either. I'm literally at a 50/50 standstill with what to do at this point.

Kang I agree about the Polaris. I literally shuttered when I wrote about considering one. I've Never been impressed with the build of a Polaris. I guess that snappy torque will do things to a guy's head and make you throw common sense out the window.

I've got time to work through what to do before my next main riding season.

·
Administrator
9,061 Posts
If your determined to keep your King which I don’t blame you then all you can really do to give you that little extra HP and low end grunt would be to do the Coop3 mod, then get yourself a power programmer. It definitely won’t be a 800 cc or a 1000 cc Popo or Can-Am. But it should liven your bottom end and overall performance.

And KangKwad stated that the 750’s don’t even come with aluminium wheels when you buy one new. In sense he’s right. Though if you want such wheels on your 750 their only available on the SE+ models. Which is honestly a shame as I think all 750’s should have them as a standard option. Then the 500 or 400 should have it as a available option.

As for the other atvs such as Polaris, Can-Am, etc. You’d never ever see me buy Polaris as they are riddled with problems. As for Can-Am. My buddy has a Outlander Max X-TP 1000 that he bought several years back. It’s got nice power but it’s a heavy bike. Only thing that bothers me about my buddy’s Can-Am is every time you put it into gear then start to move there’s a clunking sound coming from the cvt. It’s done this for years and has never given him any issues. He just told me he finally dropped it off at the dealer before his left for his next shift to try and solve some of his electrical gremlins. So yeah, our 750’s might not be huge bore atvs, but their well built and very reliable.

·
Registered
195 Posts
As for Can-Am. My buddy has a Outlander Max X-TP 1000 that he bought several years back. It’s got nice power but it’s a heavy bike. Only thing that bothers me about my buddy’s Can-Am is every time you put it into gear then start to move there’s a clunking sound coming from the cvt. It’s done this for years and has never given him any issues. He just told me he finally dropped it off at the dealer before his left for his next shift to try and solve some of his electrical gremlins. So yeah, our 750’s might not be huge bore atvs, but their well built and very reliable.
My friends outlander 1000r clunks too. I just assume it's the clutch design (same as Polaris) where the sheave on the engine always spins and is not clutched. So when you give it throttle the sheaves come together and suddenly grab the belt. I have never liked this design because it never worked well on my friends Polaris's back in the day (belt eaters).

But i did forget that his Outlander 1000 might have electrical issues too but he is not 100% sure. It does not have a typical key it has some weird transponder key that snaps onto a nub. And it comes with a full power transponder key and one that locks out full power. And he always uses the full power transponder key and sometimes it still limits him to half power.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If your determined to keep your King which I don’t blame you then all you can really do to give you that little extra HP and low end grunt would be to do the Coop3 mod, then get yourself a power programmer. It definitely won’t be a 800 cc or a 1000 cc Popo or Can-Am. But it should liven your bottom end and overall performance.

And KangKwad stated that the 750’s don’t even come with aluminium wheels when you buy one new. In sense he’s right. Though if you want such wheels on your 750 their only available on the SE+ models. Which is honestly a shame as I think all 750’s should have them as a standard option. Then the 500 or 400 should have it as a available option.

As for the other atvs such as Polaris, Can-Am, etc. You’d never ever see me buy Polaris as they are riddled with problems. As for Can-Am. My buddy has a Outlander Max X-TP 1000 that he bought several years back. It’s got nice power but it’s a heavy bike. Only thing that bothers me about my buddy’s Can-Am is every time you put it into gear then start to move there’s a clunking sound coming from the cvt. It’s done this for years and has never given him any issues. He just told me he finally dropped it off at the dealer before his left for his next shift to try and solve some of his electrical gremlins. So yeah, our 750’s might not be huge bore atvs, but their well built and very reliable.
I am very determined. I believe suspension will do more for the quad then anything else considering it will be able to absorb bumps much more efficiently and keep a steady pace. I appreciate the tips on the mods. I really want to try a tuner and clutch mod.

I actually had some really nice itp tires and wheels on it about six months after I bought it. They were one size up on the tires. I couldn't go over 30mph on the connecting roads without violent shaking. Went back to my stock Carlisle and steel rims and its smooth as glass again. That was a whole debacle for the entirety of last summer going back and forth with itp. I wont buy their products again.

I will eventually put some stock size bear claws on with a new set of steel rims. I don't find any benefit of alloys for the riding I do and I don't care how they look.

Pilotjet made a good point that it's hard to beat the price of a king out the door... But at the same time it doesn't. They come with literally nothing. Yes its a very high quality machine but jeez, at least throw some better tires and a winch in it.

Anyway, I still love the thing.

Mine has front and rear Suzuki bumpers, full ricochet offroad aluminum skid plates, full windshield, 15" lightbar and amber hazard lights, warn 3500lb winch...so I really like the direction it's going. It's so smooth and feels good driving down the trail.

Maybe someday Suzuki will add more power but I think I'm definitely going to try the mods first and see if that quenchs my thirst for a little more grunt.

The canams look cool and have the balls but I really like the peace of mind knowing the king will probably always get me home.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I actually had some really nice itp tires and wheels on it about six months after I bought it. They were one size up on the tires. I couldn't go over 30mph on the connecting roads without violent shaking. Went back to my stock Carlisle and steel rims and its smooth as glass again.

You should have had them balanced or put balancing beads in them. The bigger the tire lugs are the more out of balance they will be. I run balancing beads in jeep tires and they work well and never need re-balanced.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Can-Am makes great bikes; the best overall bikes really. Suzuki and maybe Honda makes the highest quality bikes. I loved the 2 Outlanders we had. One was a 570 Max, which had an extended wheel base due to being 2 up. The Suzuki is boring compared to this one, but It will never get stuck and can handle grippier, heavier tires better than the Can-Am bikes. I think part of the fun is the Outlanders have open rear diffs and stock tires slide around more and are lighter/quicker. Get a Raptor or Renegade if you want to race around and keep the Suzuki KQ. See which one you ride more often and sell the other one.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Can-Am makes great bikes; the best overall bikes really. Suzuki and maybe Honda makes the highest quality bikes. I loved the 2 Outlanders we had. One was a 570 Max, which had an extended wheel base due to being 2 up. The Suzuki is boring compared to this one, but It will never get stuck and can handle grippier, heavier tires better than the Can-Am bikes. I think part of the fun is the Outlanders have open rear diffs and stock tires slide around more and are lighter/quicker. Get a Raptor or Renegade if you want to race around and keep the Suzuki KQ. See which one you ride more often and sell the other one.

Outlanders dont have open rear diffs and neither do Renegades. The Renegade is the same quad as an Outlander it just has sportier plastics.

I hear a lot about Can-Am's blowing differentials. After i bought my KQ750 i was comparing it side by side my friends Outlander XT-P 1000R. I was comparing differential and CV shaft sizes and the Can-Am had MUCH larger diff housings and CV shafts. Which had me scratching my head because i never hear of KingQuads blowing diffs. The Can Am looks like it would handle much more abuse yet everyone still breaks them. I watched a video on youtube on Can Am diffs failing and they look like the metal starts pitting and falling apart then they eat themselves.

It leads me to believe Suzuki (and other Japanese brands) use better metallurgy in their ring and pinions. You have to remember that Can Am products are made in Mexico and Mexican steel has always been notoriously bad. If Can Am used better steel to make their products i doubt they would have a problem holding up. But if they use better quality steel prices would go up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You should have had them balanced or put balancing beads in them. The bigger the tire lugs are the more out of balance they will be. I run balancing beads in jeep tires and they work well and never need re-balanced.
The itp rep fought with me about balancing. I said let's try it, maybe the wheels are off somewhere and/or the tires. I was told "nobody really balances atv wheels and tires, it's not a thing". I literally went almost four months with trying to figure out with this guy what was "wrong" with my quad or the wheels and tires. They even sent me a new set of different tires to try with less lugs but I had the same result which led me to believe it was the wheels. I sold them second hand for what I paid for them. The rims looked cool but honestly I value ride and control over looks. I'm going to just put some bear claws on soon and call it a day in that department.

·
Registered
195 Posts
The itp rep fought with me about balancing. I said let's try it, maybe the wheels are off somewhere and/or the tires. I was told "nobody really balances atv wheels and tires, it's not a thing". I literally went almost four months with trying to figure out with this guy what was "wrong" with my quad or the wheels and tires. They even sent me a new set of different tires to try with less lugs but I had the same result which led me to believe it was the wheels. I sold them second hand for what I paid for them. The rims looked cool but honestly I value ride and control over looks. I'm going to just put some bear claws on soon and call it a day in that department.

Yikes, i was about to buy some ITP Hurricane wheels for mine maybe i will start looking at more expensive brands that are actually round lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yikes, i was about to buy some ITP Hurricane wheels for mine maybe i will start looking at more expensive brands that are actually round lol
I highly recomend it. I wont bash them but I will never support them. He tried his best to help me to a point but after we tried the new tires he just kind of said it is what it is and that was it. We even went so far as to try them on different machines but of course they said they were fine. I didn't expect a different answer.

·
Registered
195 Posts
It would be nice to know how badly the wheels were out of balance. It could have been a combination of a single tire and wheel. I would have taken them to a balance shop and had them spin them to see how bad they were. Sometimes if you have a wheel and a tire that just happen to get mounted with the weighted ends at the same point it will make it much worse. And if you break the bead and move the tire 180 degrees it will cancel most of it out.

I was going to buy a set of ITP Hurricane wheels and mount some GBC Grim Reapers on them. When i mounted Grim Reapers on my old Vinson they were a bit out of balance but they were not horrible. So when i put new tires and wheels on my new KQ750 i am going to run theses balancing beads.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Outlanders dont have open rear diffs and neither do Renegades. The Renegade is the same quad as an Outlander it just has sportier plastics.

My bad, it's been a few years. I was thinking of the front viscous locker vs the KQ manual front locker. I remember the front locker on the Can-Am was reactive to the situation. By the time it "locked", I was already in a pickle. You're correct about the rear diff.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It would be nice to know how badly the wheels were out of balance. It could have been a combination of a single tire and wheel. I would have taken them to a balance shop and had them spin them to see how bad they were. Sometimes if you have a wheel and a tire that just happen to get mounted with the weighted ends at the same point it will make it much worse. And if you break the bead and move the tire 180 degrees it will cancel most of it out.

I was going to buy a set of ITP Hurricane wheels and mount some GBC Grim Reapers on them. When i mounted Grim Reapers on my old Vinson they were a bit out of balance but they were not horrible. So when i put new tires and wheels on my new KQ750 i am going to run theses balancing beads.

I tried having the mudlite 2's switched around to see if that helped. Same outcome, hopping up and down like a demented horny horse at 25-30mph. Then I asked for a different set of tires because the tire shop said the mudlites were a little lumpy. The terracrosses did the same thing so my thought was the rims at that point. I asked the itp rep about balancing beads and he said sure try it but its no guarantee. I just decided after that message to just offload them as I had already had enough and would try something else eventually.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts