Suzuki ATV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a 1” long flat head bit in my 1/4” socket for 1/4” drive ratchet. I found the ratchet that worked easiest and short strokes worked best. Scribed the pilot screw slot location on the carb with a pick. Feel around with a bit. I used a gold marker on the edge of the screwdriver bit to see it better. Then I used a screw driver to hold the ratchet n bit up into screw slot. Was able to adjust the pilot screw without removing the carb. Only took a little bit. Good luck

·
Registered
261 Posts
You can get a tool for about $15-25. Or you can get an extended fuel/air screw for less than $10. I'd get the tool (unless you're changing altitudes very often) and keep it for life.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
You can get a tool for about $15-25. Or you can get an extended fuel/air screw for less than $10. I'd get the tool (unless you're changing altitudes very often) and keep it for life.

View attachment 20079
Many have tried those type of tools.... On the 300 KQ there is not enough room. Ask me how I know.lol

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have tried at least 5 different flex shaft drivers with no luck. Took a bit to work through first time. Now I can do it relatively faster. Certainly faster than removing carburetor

·
Registered
2000 quadrunner 250 4x4
189 Posts
Yup. I'm not even sure how the process detailed in the first post would work, because I e tried just that and it didn't work. Maybe the 300 has more room than my 250 quadrunner....

·
Administrator
9,531 Posts
Yup. I'm not even sure how the process detailed in the first post would work, because I e tried just that and it didn't work. Maybe the 300 has more room than my 250 quadrunner....
I think their both dang tight to get at with either model, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, Dacaur I had to try several times. But I didn’t quit and figured out how to make to work for me. On both. It helped that I put an indicator mark on the carb when I put a new carb kit in it. When I backed out the pilot screw. If first tune up on a new machine. I draw a line on a 2” straight tip bit n find which direction the pilot screw in orientated scribe a line on the carb . Then go from there. I switch to a 1” bit that has the edge colored so I can find the slot easier. And as mentioned an easy turning ratchet with a short stroke helps.
After 40 plus years turning wrenches in some really awkward places I’ve learned a couple things n always welcome to learn more.
As I wrote I hope this helps. Works for me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I ended up getting one of these, but with a flat head bit in it, it was still too big! So I ended up grinding half the hex shaft off the bit and that fit, but then there is not enough room to swing the ratchet back and forth...sigh...but I am able to sort of get my fingers in there and move the teeth of the ratchet manually.

Ratchet Wrench, Mini 36 Teeth 1/4in Drill Bit Socket Ratchet Wrench Screwdriver Sleeve Spanner Car Hand Tools(Orange), Socket Wrenches - Amazon Canada

I'm interested in the idea though of just getting a pilot screw with a long thumb screw on it, I'll have to see if I can find one...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts