Suzuki ATV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good evening fellows, I have a report to bring you. It's a long story, the very condensed version is I had a paint job that didn't work out well the first few times, so there was a lot of painting going on this year in the garage. I thought I had everything covered up quite well and having done this several times before without this issue happening, I really didn't expect this to happen at all. It appears that there was a few slightly open seams in my plastic dropsheets and just enough air movement to help load my garage with paint particulate lol. It landed all over my KingQuad :mad: and had about 4 months to sit and solidify. I was not impressed to say the least lol.

I researched it a lot and didn't really find much to go on. One place suggested a chemical spray in a rattle can but it is quite aggressive on paint. I don't really want remove the plastics and spend a lot of money for 2 or 3 cans of that stuff.

So I tested about 5 different things I already have to try to clean it off without losing the shine on the plastics. I tested brake parts cleaner on a small spot, too aggressive and dulled the spot. Fortunately it's right by my left foot and would get roughed up a bit eventually anyway. I tried Spraynine, a super duty version of Spraynine, an off brand bug and tar remover which did work somewhat, and a Dollar Store cleaner called Awesome...it actually kinda worked too. What ultimately did it though, was a product called EZ Strip. Home Depot sells it, Lowe's sells it, Rona and Home Hardware sell it, so it's widely available and easy to get. I already have a good bit of it from the horrible luck I had with the previous painting problems, and I got tired of sanding and scraping paint for a re-do so I bought the EZ remover.

I gave it a good shaking up, put an old peice of bathroom towel against the jug opening and used only what would stick to the towel. So I had a little bottle sized circle of remover on the towel. I did a test spot, left it on for about 2 minutes and the paint wiped clean away with a clean still shiny plastic. So I tried a light wipe across the plastics in small sections to limit how long this stuff would be in contact with the plastics, then wiped off the remover. It works surprisingly well and surprisingly quick. It took a little bit of effort to remove the heavy buildup or what got stuck in the pores of the plastic, but it did all come out.

What I didn't do was test it on a small area on my tail light. Definitely don't use it on the tail light lol. I spent as much time cleaning the damage and oxidation up on the tail light as I did cleaning the entire left rear fender lol. I still have a lot to do but I also made a lot of progress in a short time. This paint isn't a light duty paint either. It's an epoxy paint which hardens like body filler compound. Anyway the thing is, if you're in the same boat as me, and some paint over spray landed on your ATV, there is hope :) Also as a final thought, I used a small pail of hot water flavored with just a touch of dish soap. I got the water as hot as I could handle and made sure to immediately clean off the spots I just finished wiping down with the remover. I don't know if it would do anything to the plastic if any residual remover was left behind and I didn't want to know. I also used the heavy oil changing black nitrile gloves while applying the remover, I don't know what it will do to a hand or any insidey parts if allowed to be absorbed in, and I don't want to know...at least not the hard way :p

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I know it doesn't look really shiny but it's just because of the lighting. Those LED lights are too hard on a camera's sensor to get the real details. In person it looks so much better than in the photos.

·
Administrator
9,547 Posts
My father in-law used a paint reducer on my truck once when I had gotten side swiped by somebody not paying attention. I had huge paint transfer from that person’s vehicle onto my driver’s side door and I wasn’t happy about it. He managed to take all of the paint transfer off and the door looked perfectly fine. You could try a reducer, though I have no idea how it would react on your plastics.

Reactions: Bigfoot
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.